Draft pick profiles and discussion.

1 - Mathew Dumba, D. http://thehockeywriters.com/mathew-d...spect-profile/
    2 - Raphael Bussieres, LW
    3 - John Drager, D
    4 - Adam Gilmour, C
    5 - Daniel Gunnarsson, D
    6 - Christopher Bertschy, C
    7 - Louis Nanne, LW
    Last edited by PurpleJesus; 06-23-2012 at 03:04 PM.

vCash
    I can't find much written up about these kids. Bussieres sounds like a tough guy. Louis Nanne is from Edina, and the grandson of Lou.

vCash
    Here's some info on the round 2 pick #46th overall selection:

Raphael Bussieres

Rounds 3-7 are broken down here:

Rest of draft breakdown

vCash
    So much "grit"...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMetropolitans View Post
    Here's some info on the round 2 pick #46th overall selection:

Raphael Bussieres

Rounds 3-7 are broken down here:

Rest of draft breakdown
    Bussieres link doesnt work...What do we know about him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJesus View Post
    Bussieres link doesnt work...What do we know about him?
    Just clicked it...it works for me ...but here's the quote from the article...

So who is this mystery player?

Ranked 93rd by Future Considerations 81st by The Scouting Report and 129th in North American skaters by Central Scouting.

Bussieres is a type of prospect that seems to be a favorite within the Wild organization. Ever since Chuck Fletcher and Brett Flahr took over, there has been an influx of hardworking forwards that play a powerful but simple game. Names would include Charlie Coyle, Brett Bulmer, Johan Larsson and Jason Zucker.

Bussieres fits that bill as he is a strong player that plays with grit and skates with authority. He's strong on the puck and drives the net well. Think of how Charlie Coyle plays his game. They use a combination of hardwork and strength to win puck battles and get the puck towards the net.

What seperates Bussieres from the rest of the draft class is that not only does he have good size and strength, he also has a decent shot and good hands.

vCash
    Sounds like he was a reach, but when you hear how much the organization liked him, you kind of learn to like the pick. We seem to have drafted gritty role players this year, which is nice, but you need the stars to go with them. Hopefully Granlund turns into a star, and we can get someone like Parise in free agency.

The thing I like most about this draft, is that it seems every draft pick really has a passion for the game, and works hard. There always seems to be a lot of players in the draft who are highly talented, but who have underachieved, due to work ethic, or lack of passion...it seems the guys we drafted want to get better, and they do what they can to get better.

vCash
    That's exactly the type of players you need on your team to succeed, in any sport. This FA period will be so critical to the Wild's success in the future. I'm sure Fletcher has a plan A-Z, but boy I'm sure he's praying plans A or B work.
    Last edited by NYMetropolitans; 06-27-2012 at 06:21 PM.

vCash
    Honestly at this point, im fine with the draft. Fletcher has only made one mistake and that was trading Leddy and really it was ok at the time but in hindsight it was horrible haha. I have faith that they drafted him for a reason and he is gonna be good. I like grit, and it sounds like he has some good hands. Im excited

vCash

Minnesota Wild No. 1 draft pick Mathew Dumba: 'I believe in myself

Minnesota Wild No. 1 draft pick Mathew Dumba: 'I believe in myself

The Romanian way to say it is Doom-ba. In Canada, it's Dum-ba. Everybody knows me by Dum-ba.

I think this year. That's my mentality. That's how I want to go about it. I want to come into camp and compete for a spot. It comes down to the coaching staff about whether I'm ready or not, but I want to play for the Wild this year.

I think I can do it. I believe in myself. After a hard summer of training and getting my body where it needs to be, I'll get to that level.

It's always been to be a professional hockey player ever since I knew about hockey. It's that. That's what I've always wanted to grow up to be.

When I'm done playing, I hope people can say that every shift, every time I stepped on the ice, I gave it everything I had and played with passion, and became a great player over the years and a role model little kids can look up to.

I'm terrified of heights but I'm working on it. I fly. I can do that when I know I'm secure. I'm not too bad with planes and looking out the window. It's when I'm on a rail and it's a 200-foot drop. I don't like that feeling of being up there and looking over something.

If I had a time machine, I'd go back to the 1980s -- around that time. My parents are always talking about '80s music, and it seems like a great time. The hockey would be great, too, with Gretzky.

Favorite cartoon growing up probably was Bugs Bunny and Tweetie. And I loved the "Space Jam" movie and all the

characters, like the Tasmanian Devil.
    I keep it organic at my house. I eat Oaty Bites for breakfast. Not a lot of people have heard of it, but it's my go-to cereal.

I've played everything. Baseball. Basketball. Football. Golf. I played soccer when I was little.

Probably my mom and dad have had the biggest influence on me. My dad taught me the basics of the game and is a huge fan of the game. He bred his love of the game into me. I couldn't have done it without him.

Worst thing I did? Me and my buddies were always playing baseball when we were little. I don't know if we got bored but there was a crab apple tree and there's a road. We'd always try to hit crab apples to see who could hit it the farthest. A couple of times me and my buddies hit a car. We swore we wouldn't tell, but the story is out now. We were about 12. It's pretty funny, looking back on it.

I'm really easy-going. I like almost anything when it comes to trying new stuff, whether it's music, food, whatnot. I'm just a fun guy and have an outgoing personality.

Funniest movie? I was on a plane and "Happy Gilmore" was on. I like "Happy Gilmore" and "Billy Madison." Lately, "Step Brothers" has to be up there. I liked the "Goon" movie. Have you seen it? It's about a hockey team. The star is the guy who played Stifler (in "American Pie" -- Seann William Scott, a native Minnesotan). It's just outrageous. It's like slapstick funny. If you've ever been on a hockey team, you'll understand it.

Favorite movie? "Man on Fire" is my favorite. And I liked "Remember the Titans" when I was little; it stuck with me.

Denzel Washington is my favorite actor. He's the man.

Jennifer Aniston. That's a good actress. I liked "Friends" and everything else she's done.

Pet peeve? Traffic. Just waiting. If you're trying to get somewhere and people are texting you and asking where are you. "No, I'm still 30 minutes away and I can't do anything about it."

I'd want my friends to describe me as loyal and somebody they'd take into battle with them -- somebody who'll be there for them during the ups and downs.

The gear. The hockey gear. Or food. That's what I'd want to get out of the house if it was on fire. I'd sprint to the fridge, down the stairs, grab my stick and go out the garage.

My mom is at the grocery store every day.

My last meal? I'd probably get away from all the organic and go straight to the ice cream. I'm a guy who likes a little breakfast for supper. So I'd have eggs and bacon and sausage. I'd get some chocolate chip pancakes. Maybe filet mignon. We'd do it up right.

I'm reading "Lone Survivor" right now, and I just can't get away from it. I recommend it to everyone. It's pretty sweet. It's about a Navy Seals team and the lone survivor on a mission in Afghanistan. It's a great book.

Every once in a while, I'll play video games. I like NHL or Halo. My younger brother, Kyle, who's 14, loves the shooting games. And he's better than me. It's tough because I kicked his butt growing up in everything.

I like everything, but I think my favorite music would be rap and hip-hop. I like older stuff, back to the '60s, '70s and '80s. That's what my parents listen to. And I like country, being in Calgary. I'm open to basically everything, but I don't like hard rock. I like the old rock, like AC/DC.

I like "Criminal Minds." I try to record those. I like "Family Guy," too.

Best advice? It probably came from Brent Sutter (who owns Dumba's Red Deer Rebels team in the Western Hockey League). He was telling me to handle my consistency and stuff like that. It was, "Play every shift good and that will result in a great game."

I can't think of any bad advice I got.

I want to buy a car when I sign my contract. A car and clothes. Basically, that's it. And I'll take my buddies out for a nice dinner. Just basic stuff like that. I don't really know what kind of car I want. A dream car is a G Wagon. It's an SUV Mercedes Benz.

If I could trade places for a day with anyone, it'd be LeBron James. After winning the (NBA) title, I'd want to see what's going on with all the parties and stuff. Maybe I'll just shadow LeBron and not do everything. I'd want to see what his routine is right now.

I'd want my epitaph to say, "Here lies Mathew Dumba, who was a loving person who cared about the people around him and was a guy who wore his heart on his sleeve. He helped people and cared for others." I'd also say, "He always pursued his dreams and was a hard worker and passionate about what he did."
    Source: Twin Cities

vCash
    Seems like the kid wants to compete for a spot from Day 1. I like his attitude and if his play is as good as his talk, the Wild will have a very special player.

vCash
    He needs time to develop...He needs to work on his skating a little, as well as learning when to lay out those hits and when to hold back. The difference between him being a top pairing difference maker and a top 4 contributor is him learning how to control those hits. He also could use to put on some weight, and hopefully grow an inch or two

vCash
    It was a surprise to me when the Wild opening day roster had Brett Bulmer on it, but he impressed the coaching staff so much with his attitude, grit, and determination, that he gave the coaching staff no option, but to give him an opportunity right away...maybe Dumba can do the same.

I don't think he is physically there yet though.

While we are somewhat on the subject of Bulmer, I just want to share an example of that hockey mentality and grit he has...He was a rookie 19 year old, and I cant remember what game it was, or who the opposing teams enforcer was, but it was a big name enforcer...and there is Brett Bullmer, the 19 year old prepubescent child picking a fight with him, and he held his own.

vCash
    Will Bulmer be competing for a spot come next season?

vCash
    Bulmer should have stuck with the roster last year. I mean the development he got was good but that boy can play. His offense has gotten better and better, and his grit and size and with him being able to play rough there is no chance he should not be in the line up come start of the season. Bulmer is a solid 2/3 liner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast