Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Progress being made on Luongo trade

Action heating up. Progress is being made on potential Luongo trade. Nothing imminent, but...more ahead on TSN. #TSN
    - Dreger

Canuck AGM Gilman on goalie trade talks: "There is interest in place right now. Conceivable we could make a deal this weekend."
    https://twitter.com/imacVanSun/statu...81686335340544

Will Luongo be traded by Sunday?
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Here's Province article talking about this:

PITTSBURGH — The good news for Vancouver is that general managers continue to call about its goalies. Even better news: not all the calls have been about the availability of Cory Schneider.

The Canucks contend they have time to be patient in searching out a Roberto Luongo trade.

So, they won’t be calling Luongo to get his stamp of approval if the Toronto Maple Leafs continue to offer something just south of nothing for the 33-year-old throughout the NHL Draft weekend.

Lots of time, the Canucks say, to get the right Luongo deal done. It doesn’t have to happen this weekend. But it sure would help. That may be why the Luongo talk started heating up late Thursday.

“The draft may be the most opportune time to make trades because you have 30 teams, 30 general managers and all their personnel in such close proximity,” said Canucks assistant general manager Laurence Gilman.

“It also happens on the eve of free agency, on July 1. So, the situation lends itself to talking trades.”

That GM Mike Gillis has been listening to offers from “numerous” GMs and making progress this week without a working wish list from Luongo can be interpreted as a strong sign Luongo is open to a lot more destinations than just five.

“There is interest that’s in place right now,” Gilman said. “It is conceivable that we could make a deal this weekend.”

It would make sense that Luongo is open to lots of options when his alternative is the possibility of sitting on the bench next spring watching Schneider start more postseason games.

Is it enough to have him agree to go to Columbus, which has shown some significant interest? That’s a tough one and remains to be seen.

Gilman said there is no team the Canucks wouldn’t be willing to trade with, which is easy to say now but would be put to the test if, say, the Chicago Blackhawks made a run at Luongo.

“If we think we can get a player who is going to make us better, we wouldn’t bypass a potential trading partner,” he said. “You make trades with teams, and they are trying to get better as well. The question is, can you get better?

“If we feel we can make a deal with somebody close to us and we’re going to give ourselves a better chance to win the Stanley Cup, we’ll do it.”

Dovetailing with the issues stacked up in its net, Vancouver has another pressing problem that must be given a long look at the draft. The team that says it will be going all-in next year to win the Stanley Cup has a deep crater to be filled at centre. If they are without Ryan Kesler to start the season, right now the centres who would line up would be Henik Sedin at No. 1 and Max Lapierre at No. 2.

The effort to fix things at the trade deadline was, to be kind, inadequate. Even Samme Pahlsson knew he was done, retiring from the NHL to Sweden this offseason without even waiting to see if there was interest in free agency.

Now, the Canucks must take another swing at finding a centre. If they miss again, expect to hear the name Cody Hodgson a lot more next year.

“If there are centres available (via trade), we’ll take a look at them, for sure,” Gilman said. “No question about it.”

The Canucks are reluctant, for now, to trade their first-round pick, 26th overall, concerned about what that would mean for their prospect pool, which is already shallow.

“To the extent I lie awake at night, one of the reasons is the concern I have that you have to continue to have young players come along in your system or you will, more or less, hit a cliff at some point,” Gilman said. “We’ve been fortunate with having Chris Tanev in our lineup. We have Zack Kassian. We feel it is incumbent on us moving forward to have young players.

“If you continue to make youth-for-age deals, or give away draft picks, you will take away your ability to have success later on.

“It’s a balancing act. There is no question. We are going for it now. We are trying to win this year.”

Of course, a Luongo deal could change the dynamic. The Canucks could either get the centre they are looking for or enough assets in return, in players or draft picks, to go and get a deal done.

As far as the draft goes, Gilman said the team feels it’s deep at defence and in goal and will be leaning toward a forward, especially a centre, in the first round.

“If we were to assess a need we have, it’d be at forwards, perhaps centre in particular,” Gilman said. “That being said, in the four years we’ve been here and run the draft, we’ve picked the best player based on skill at the top part of the draft, in the first and second rounds.

“Then, we’ve started to address positional needs as the drafts unfolded.”

jbotchford@theprovince.com

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/dr...#ixzz1yUg4taP3
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    You would hope the Nucks deal Lu before July 1. Might be best to sure up the goalie spot (sign Schneids and know who your keepers are - certainty is good). I see Toronto dealt the Monster so that could fuel the Lu to T.O. trade fires.

vCash
    I'm curious what the deal Canuck fans think they are going to get in comparison to what Leaf fans and to a lesser extent Panther/Blackhawk fans (other websites mostly) thinka re going to happen.

I want to see who is closer to the ball

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurtin' M's Fan View Post
    You would hope the Nucks deal Lu before July 1. Might be best to sure up the goalie spot (sign Schneids and know who your keepers are - certainty is good). I see Toronto dealt the Monster so that could fuel the Lu to T.O. trade fires.
    I posted in the Offseason thread that this is kinda a stalemate. Schneider won't sign until Luongo is gone and Luongo won't be traded until Schneider is close to signing. Schneider is reportedly not close to signing.

<3

vCash
    What do you guys expect to receive for Luongo? I'm curious too what the difference in value based on fan bases. Does it make the trade better if you don't have to take a contract (like Komisarek/Connolly)? Are you expecting a "hockey trade" like Gillis has been saying?

What do you guys want in return?

The most interesting thing I've read lately has Vancouver getting Komisarek, a player (possibly MacArthur or Kulemin), and a prospect(Frattin/Franson) and/or pick from Toronto and the Leafs take Mason Raymond along with Luongo to take some more salary. Does that look at all interesting?

A good trade in my eyes is one where the Leafs send something along the lines of Reimer, Frattin, and another piece for Luongo. Gives the Nucks another good young netminder to play with Schneider, a potential (and NHL ready) top 6 forward in Frattin, and another guy. Although that's dampened by Frattin's knee injury and him possibly not being ready for camp so maybe not Frattin lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    What do you guys expect to receive for Luongo? I'm curious too what the difference in value based on fan bases. Does it make the trade better if you don't have to take a contract (like Komisarek/Connolly)? Are you expecting a "hockey trade" like Gillis has been saying?

The most interesting thing I've read lately has Vancouver getting Komisarek, a player (possibly MacArthur or Kulemin), and a prospect(Frattin/Franson) and/or pick from Toronto and the Leafs take Mason Raymond along with Luongo to take some more salary. Does that look at all interesting?

A good trade in my eyes is one where the Leafs send something along the lines of Reimer, Frattin, and another piece for Luongo. Gives the Nucks another good young netminder to play with Schneider, a potential (and NHL ready) top 6 forward in Frattin, and another guy. Although that's dampened by Frattin's knee injury and him possibly not being ready for camp so maybe not Frattin lol.
    My question to Leafs fans is why would we want to take on a player with a $4.5M cap hit when we can have one of the best goalies in the league for just $800,000 more. If Gillis takes Komisarek he will be fired.

And I would be happy to send Raymond along with Luongo. Burke drafted him after all so he's essentially his player anyway. That's moving in the right direction. I've always hoped that it would be Luongo plus another Canucks roster player moving out ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    My question to Leafs fans is why would we want to take on a player with a $4.5M cap hit when we can have one of the best goalies in the league for just $800,000 more. If Gillis takes Komisarek he will be fired.

And I would be happy to send Raymond along with Luongo. Burke drafted him after all so he's essentially his player anyway. That's moving in the right direction. I've always hoped that it would be Luongo plus another Canucks roster player moving out ...
    Komisarek is the guy Burke wants to give up in the deal it seems. I agree with you, and the offer that I would put together if I were GM, wouldn't have Komi in it like I posted above.

What's a trade that you would put together? It seems Burke "needs" the Canucks to eat a contract so maybe the Nucks wouldn't be totally against eating Lombardi who's cheaper at 3.5, expires sooner, and in a limited role, is probably more useful. They could probably also just ****ing waive him...

anyway, what would you expect in the deal? The price presumably comes down a little bit if there is indeed no money coming back...

Its probably gonna be Toronto anyway, just a matter of time, depends who blinks first. Florida isn't going to trade for Luongo with Markstrom ready and their salary issues. They already dealt him once for their salary issues. And there isn't really anyone else in the mix. If Gillis dealt him to Chicago, he better be getting Kane back...

vCash

Well, Komisarek is the worst contract for the Canucks to take (since he's two years at 4.5 with an NMC) and the Leafs would have to give up more to get him in the deal. Still, a Lombardi or Armstrong contract makes sense for both sides. Both these guys can play on the Canucks 3rd/4th line rather effectively if healthy, are expiring and could be sent to the AHL if necessary. They wouldnt count as a plus in the deal but aren't really hurting the Canucks imo at all.

I think something like:

Reimer/Scrivens + Frattin/Ashton + 3rd + MacArthur/Kulemin + Armstrong/Lombardi for Luongo and maybe Raymond is the likely all around deal. The other option is having Kadri + a 2nd instead of the Frattin/Ashton and MacArthur/Kulemin

Its not a great deal for the Canucks but its pretty good imo for the circumstances (32 year old goalie who needs to be traded and has 10 years remaining onhis contract with only 2-3 suitors)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    Well, Komisarek is the worst contract for the Canucks to take (since he's two years at 4.5 with an NMC) and the Leafs would have to give up more to get him in the deal. Still, a Lombardi or Armstrong contract makes sense for both sides. Both these guys can play on the Canucks 3rd/4th line rather effectively if healthy, are expiring and could be sent to the AHL if necessary. They wouldnt count as a plus in the deal but aren't really hurting the Canucks imo at all.

I think something like:

Reimer/Scrivens + Frattin/Ashton + 3rd + MacArthur/Kulemin + Armstrong/Lombardi for Luongo and maybe Raymond is the likely all around deal. The other option is having Kadri + a 2nd instead of the Frattin/Ashton and MacArthur/Kulemin

Its not a great deal for the Canucks but its pretty good imo for the circumstances (32 year old goalie who needs to be traded and has 10 years remaining onhis contract with only 2-3 suitors)
    For starters we don't need a goalie in return. We'd have Schneider and Lack. And I've asked this before: do you guys think Kadri will ever stick in the NHL? It's been a while for him and not much success.

The problem with any trade with the Leafs is that it only works for the Leafs. There is no upside for the Canucks organization or for Luongo playing in Toronto. Burke is especially bad with goalies. He burns through them like a streetwalker burns through crack. Then there's the rabid Toronto media and fanbase, the EXACT OPPOSITE of what Luongo should be looking for. Third, I don't know if many on the Leafs roster would be useful in the Canucks lineup, certainly not the players Burke wants to deal. What's in it for us? The best trade partner by far is Florida. Luongo has a home there, his wife is from there, he's liked there, and the only problem he ever had with the Panthers was with previous management. They have an excellent prospect but he's not there yet and Luongo will excel in a lower stress environment than Vancouver (or Toronto). I know all the talk in the Canadian media has been about a Leafs-Canucks deal but I just don't see a SINGLE advantage for anyone other than the Leafs. That's why the deal just can't get done with them. I think it's smart of Gillis to try to drive up the price by seeming to be talking with Burke, but ultimately when things get serious, I hope he's talking with a GM from Florida, and secondarily from Edmonton or even Chicago. I know Gillis wants Bjustad and I know Tallon doesn't want to give him up. I'd like to see whether MG can pry one of Florida's prospect forwards free - either Huberdeau or Bjustad.
    Last edited by ink; 06-24-2012 at 07:25 PM.

vCash
    For starters we don't need a goalie in return. We'd have Schneider and Lack. And I've asked this before: do you guys think Kadri will ever stick in the NHL? It's been a while for him and not much success.

The problem with any trade with the Leafs is that it only works for the Leafs. There is no upside for the Canucks organization or for Luongo playing in Toronto. Burke is especially bad with goalies. He burns through them like a streetwalker burns through crack. Then there's the rabid Toronto media and fanbase, the EXACT OPPOSITE of what Luongo should be looking for. Third, I don't know if many on the Leafs roster would be useful in the Canucks lineup, certainly not the players Burke wants to deal. What's in it for us? The best trade partner by far is Florida. Luongo has a home there, his wife is from there, he's liked there, and the only problem he ever had with the Panthers was with previous management. They have an excellent prospect but he's not there yet and Luongo will excel in a lower stress environment than Vancouver (or Toronto). I know all the talk in the Canadian media has been about a Leafs-Canucks deal but I just don't see a SINGLE advantage for anyone other than the Leafs. That's why the deal just can't get done with them. I think it's smart of Gillis to try to drive up the price by seeming to be talking with Burke, but ultimately when things get serious, I hope he's talking with a GM from Florida, and secondarily from Edmonton or even Chicago. I know Gillis wants Bjustad and I know Tallon doesn't want to give him up. I'd like to see whether MG can pry one of Florida's prospect forwards free - either Huberdeau or Bjustad.
    This trade may not happen anytime soon...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...to-maple-leafs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    I'm curious what the deal Canuck fans think they are going to get in comparison to what Leaf fans and to a lesser extent Panther/Blackhawk fans (other websites mostly) thinka re going to happen.

I want to see who is closer to the ball
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post

I don't care who we get as long as don't take back a contract. Dump the contract and be done with it. Nobody on Toronto(that we can actually get) can help us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurtin' M's Fan View Post
    This trade may not happen anytime soon...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...to-maple-leafs
    I haven't seen any major news outlet report this yet but I've seen three sources (mainly blogs) that indicate that Luongo wants FLA. I can't see why he would want to go to Toronto. Aside from the negatives about the Leafs I listed above, Burke lowballing Luongo's value is insulting to one of the best goalies in the game. Burkie can't have it both ways -- suggesting he's worth a bad contract, Kadri, and a used bike pump and then expecting a happy Luongo.

vCash
    Don't know where this stands now, but over ‪#NHLdraft‬ weekend I heard G Roberto Luongo to Chicago, if the ‪#Blackhawks‬ could make $$$ work.
    https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...35510110093312

This would be a huge WOW!

<3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    ...Unless we are getting some huge package that would be so ****ing ******** it's not funny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast