Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Wild Signs Stoner To Extension

Wild Signs Stoner To Extension

The Wildís first move of the offseason locks up a tough, steady defenseman for two more seasons. Minnesota has re-signed Clayton Stoner to a two-year contract extension.

Coming off of his second season with the Wild in 2011-12, Stoner totaled 5 points (1-4=5) and 54 penalty minutes in 51 games. His plus-3 plus/minus rating led all Wild defensemen and was good for third on the team.

Beyond the stat page, Stonerís toughness on the ice and willingness to stick up for teammates are intangibles that donít always show up on the score sheet.

The 6-foot-3, 225-pound native of Port McNeill, B.C., also was nominated for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy by the Minnesota Chapter of the Professional Hockey Writersí Association. Masterton nominees exemplify perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to the sport of hockey, all traits embodied by the 27-year-old blueliner.

Stoner spent nearly five years in the minors before earning a spot with the Wild during the 2010-11 season. He recorded nine points (2-7=9) in 57 contests with the Wild in his rookie season and ranked first on the team with a plus-5 rating and third with 96 PIM. Stoner tied for third among NHL rookie defensemen in penalty minutes and sixth in plus/minus amongst rookies that played more than 50 games. He made his NHL debut at Montreal on Dec. 17, 2009.

Selected by Minnesota in the third round (79th overall) of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, Stoner would have become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, but the Wild has signed the sturdy defenseman through the 2013-14 season.
    Link: http://wild.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=631231

vCash
    Solid #5 or 6 guy. Strong and big and physical, also I believe he was the only D to have a + rating the past couple years.

vCash
    Which is exactly what you want from a back end guy. Physical, smart play.

vCash
    smart with our lack of physical defenseman we need at least one

vCash
    Yeah hopefully Falk and Scandella learn how to use their bodies.

vCash
    I bet he smokes pot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleJesus View Post
    I bet he smokes pot.

He's got a lot of penalty minutes, maybe that could work for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerjug View Post
    smart with our lack of physical defenseman we need at least one
    Justin Falk and Nate Prosser can bring a physical brand of hockey...but just remember, particularly with Falk, he is only 23, can still fill out his 6'5 frame more, and is still learning the nuances of his position...

But I've seen him play pretty rough many times last season, he's one of those guys who won't let forwards get free pokes at the goaltender while he is trying to freeze the puck.

As for Prosser, not only can he be physical, but even a bit of an agitator, as I've seen him goad many an opposing player into stupid penalties.
    Not afraid to give someone a good face-wash either.

Heck, even diminutive Jared Spurgeon will put a big hit on someone if he gets the opportunity...

True, I believe Stoner can be the most physical of those three, but Prosser and Falk rank right up there too, IMO.
    In fact, once Falk learns to play real solid D, he may be even BETTER than Stoner as he is taller and more agile....and will probably just get nastier the more grizzled he becomes...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PineAppleFlavor View Post
    Justin Falk and Nate Prosser can bring a physical brand of hockey...but just remember, particularly with Falk, he is only 23, can still fill out his 6'5 frame more, and is still learning the nuances of his position...

But I've seen him play pretty rough many times last season, he's one of those guys who won't let forwards get free pokes at the goaltender while he is trying to freeze the puck.

As for Prosser, not only can he be physical, but even a bit of an agitator, as I've seen him goad many an opposing player into stupid penalties.
    Not afraid to give someone a good face-wash either.

Heck, even diminutive Jared Spurgeon will put a big hit on someone if he gets the opportunity...

True, I believe Stoner can be the most physical of those three, but Prosser and Falk rank right up there too, IMO.
    In fact, once Falk learns to play real solid D, he may be even BETTER than Stoner as he is taller and more agile....and will probably just get nastier the more grizzled he becomes...
    you gotta think that only one of Prosser and Falk will realistically make the top 6 defensively and I understand that they can be physical, but last year I saw far too many times in front of the nets guys getting wide open looks because our guys wouldn't body and tie them up. Like you said these are young guys and can most certainly get better but thats where im hoping Dumba can come in

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerjug View Post
    you gotta think that only one of Prosser and Falk will realistically make the top 6 defensively and I understand that they can be physical, but last year I saw far too many times in front of the nets guys getting wide open looks because our guys wouldn't body and tie them up. Like you said these are young guys and can most certainly get better but thats where im hoping Dumba can come in

Agreed on only one of Falk/Prosser possibly being future top six guys.
    And it most likely will be Falk.

Don't get me wrong, I like Prosser alot...but he is already 26, and while he can still improve his game a bit more (coverage wise, and taking the body with regularity like you said), he has just about reached his full potential compared to Falk who not only can still become heavier (without sacrificing mobility), but seems to carry a bit more of a mean streak at just 23 yrs old.
    I also believe Falk to have the better puck handling and passing skills compared to Prosser.

Dumba has the potential to trump both these guys however.

Not to get to off topic on Stoner, however, I like Stoner as our resident "you ain't getting in there" type D-man, however, durability seems to be an issue with him, and he is 29, so I would imagine recovering from injuries heading into his 30's won't be as easy.

EDIT: apologies to Stoner and the Wild fans...Clayton is 27, not 29....lol....I was already short changing him a couple good Prim-O years....my bad.
    Last edited by PineAppleFlavor; 07-17-2012 at 07:19 PM.

vCash
    Agreed I think it would be Falk as well. One guy I think we should watch for this year is Chay Genoway. I hated him when he was at North Dakota and while he isn't a defensive physical d man at all he is incredibly fast and is a pretty good offensive defensemen

vCash
    Hmm...will keep my eyes peeled for Genoway, Killerjug.
    I really don't know all that much about him, but it seems he along with a couple others like him are stowed away in AHL Houston.

By the way, I made a thread talking strictly about Minnesota Wild's defensemen this coming season...go have a look, and please, feel free to add in your own takes, and fill in whatever you see I may be missing...particularly about guys like Genoway, Kampfer, Penner, and Connelly, whom I don't know a ton about...

But really, anything you and any other poster may want to add would be appreciated.