Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Prust To Test Free Agency Market

Though Brandon Prustís first choice is to re-up with the Rangers, and the Blueshirts have keen mutual interest in retaining the impending free agent, it appears there is enough of a gap in the contract negotiations between the parties to make it increasingly likely that the winger will at least test the open market when free agency opens July 1.

Prust, cited repeatedly by coach John Tortorella as an invaluable member of the clubís core leadership group for his willingness to step up, fight and put his body on the line for his teammates in addition to his value on the penalty-kill unit, changed agents at the conclusion of the playoffs, moving to Ritch Winter from Newport Sports.

Though sources stressed that lines of communication remain open and that it is conceivable that Prust could re-sign before July 1, it is believed the difference between the parties is significant ó upward of $1 million over the life of a three-year contract.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...bBeLasChHjCIcM

Well this is not good at all.

vCash
    If its say, $1.2 mil over 3 years, I say give it to him. At the current cap, that's 1.5%. It's nothing for a valuable, versatile, known commodity who fits the system perfectly, plays his ***** off, is a wonderful teammate, and a fan favorite. We wouldn't trade the guy, so if it's a reasonable and doable amount of money, give it to him.

He's earned a raise.

vCash
    He wants close to 2M a year.

vCash
    Well, lets put this is perspective here, Rupp is making 1.5 per.... So....

vCash
    I really love Prust on this team, he's part of the engine that drives it. My only concern is that I feel his style is gonna make him injury prone. It's my same concern with Callahan. Is Prust gonna be healthy the next 3 or 4 years? I really doubt it, because he gives it his all, plays on the edge and doesn't back down even when he's hurt and should be. It's tough though, I mean I love that he plays like that, it's just that his longevity isn't gonna be great, and I think he knows that, which is why he's looking for his payday now. Believe me, if we don't give him the money there'll be a lineup of teams wanting him, so I'm conflicted on how much he's worth. Realistically to this team, compared to what others are making, he's probably worth close to 2 mill, but cap wise I just don't know if we can afford to have a 4th to 3rd liner making that much money. He isn't an offensive player\ but what he lacks in offense he makes up because he's a great PK guy, forechecker, shot blocker, a real good fighter for his size and an all around team player. I'd hate to see him leave, but if it's over 2 million it will happen.

vCash
    I like Prust a lot but 2 mill is just way too much for him. I remember having a conversation before Dubi signed and he got more then i would have given and now everyone wants to unload his contract. We just can not give out contracts for players that do not score much. Prust does bring grit and is a good PK guy but he doesnt do much 5 on 5. He does fight but he cant handle the heavy weights. Ahhh if he wants more then say 1.5 i let him walk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by commonsense12 View Post
    I like Prust a lot but 2 mill is just way too much for him. I remember having a conversation before Dubi signed and he got more then i would have given and now everyone wants to unload his contract. We just can not give out contracts for players that do not score much. Prust does bring grit and is a good PK guy but he doesnt do much 5 on 5. He does fight but he cant handle the heavy weights. Ahhh if he wants more then say 1.5 i let him walk.
    Ya, a 4 year 6 mill contract should really be enough. I still have hope that Dubi earns his contract after having a terrible year this year. I don't think that's the norm for him as this was his lowest point total since becoming a Ranger. For whatever reason he hasn't been the same since he fractured his leg last year.

vCash
    I like Prust as well, but he had a down year. There are some other free agents that do the exact same thing as him, but are better. For example, Dustin Penner.