Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Report: Leafs eyeing Yakupov AND Galchenyuk?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...ov_galchenyuk/

You don't REALLY have to read the article, not really all that interesting. Igor Larionov, the agent for both Yakupov and Galchenyuk, stated that the Oilers, Canadiens, and Leafs are all very interested in his 2 clients. The big line comes right at the beginning of the article where the author of the article throws in the important line "One of the NHLís top offensive draft prospects, Nail Yakupov or Alex Galchenyuk, could become Toronto Maple Leafs, according to the Sarnia Sting starsí agent Igor Larionov. Or possibly both of them."

This happening certainly entails trading for the 1st overall pick from Edmonton, who may or may not need a pick coming back at all, and then either obtaining another pick and moving up again or moving up from pick 5 to (hopefully) pick 3 and the Montreal Canadiens.

This would be some real Sedin twins type of action out of Brian Burke and would really have to be the biggest move of Burke's career for him to pull it off. The Sedin draft was weak and really only had 2 names in it and he got both of them. This one is weak but not nearly as bad so its less likely that teams will want to move right out of the draft. So the real question becomes...

Is this possible?
    Could this really be pulled off?

How excited would you be to have Yakupov and Galchenyuk on the top line for the next 10-15 years like the Sedin twins in Vancouver?

vCash
    Probably not.

vCash
    we've been discussing this in the draft thread.

I posted that the leafs were looking at getting 2 top 10 pick but Lavy actually called this a week ago.

I think any potential deals will have Kessel in it.

"Hey Dad. Whatever. Keep cheering." - Mo' Riles

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    I heard this at the rink last week and didn't know if it was just Sting management being hopeful or if there was some truth to it. I heard that both the Leafs and Lightning were interested in them. Part of me wonders if this is Larionov trying to sell both of his clients high. Personally I'd be happy if Burke could trade to get one of them (Galchenyuk), but if he pulls off getting them both I will retract my "fire Burke" opinions until Christmas.

vCash
    I'm thinking Lupul, Kessel, Franson, Kadri to Columbus for Nash and #2 (maybe Brassard or some other salary if they dont match) is about what it would take to get Burkie that pick. CBJ gets two top scoring NHL wingers to play with Johansen (stud) get a Offensively gifted Kadri, and a dman with potential in franson. They may want schenn instead though.

EDIT: Through reimer in this too, just for the hell of it.

I think that gets you that second pick, but the first pick would be even tougher to nail down. I dont even want to think about that. Hopefully we get Schultz and Luo (for cheap). These reports are interesting because i think burke trying to win over the city again and pull off something spectacular. If he fails, this city will be pretty disapointed and burke will be hated (no matter how realistic him getting these guys is)

vCash
    If Burke's gonna pull this off good luck to em. It won't be easy. I'd love to have that future combo on our team though.

vCash
    imagine the healines if burke somehow pulled it off.

"Burke Nails it"
    "Burke Nails Galchenyuk" (this one is ill advised)

vCash

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    I'm thinking Lupul, Kessel, Franson, Kadri to Columbus for Nash and #2 (maybe Brassard or some other salary if they dont match) is about what it would take to get Burkie that pick. CBJ gets two top scoring NHL wingers to play with Johansen (stud) get a Offensively gifted Kadri, and a dman with potential in franson. They may want schenn instead though.

EDIT: Through reimer in this too, just for the hell of it.

I think that gets you that second pick, but the first pick would be even tougher to nail down. I dont even want to think about that. Hopefully we get Schultz and Luo (for cheap). These reports are interesting because i think burke trying to win over the city again and pull off something spectacular. If he fails, this city will be pretty disapointed and burke will be hated (no matter how realistic him getting these guys is)
    It's not that hard, if we get the blue jackets pick all we would have to do is flip that second pick+ the defensemen they want (anyone besides Gardiner) and take a salary dump and thats how you get Nail.

Then to get Gally trade our 5th+2nd to the Canadians plus they owe us one for taking our assistant anyways.

So that'll net us the 1st+3rd. Nail-Murray-Gally

Then MTL still ends up with Forsberg or Griggy the guys they want anyways.

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglesbaby4lyfe View Post
    It's not that hard, if we get the blue jackets pick all we would have to do is flip that second pick+ the defensemen they want (anyone besides Gardiner) and take a salary dump and thats how you get Nail.

Then to get Gally trade our 5th+2nd to the Canadians plus they owe us one for taking our assistant anyways.

So that'll net us the 1st+3rd. Nail-Murray-Gally

Then MTL still ends up with Forsberg or Griggy the guys they want anyways.
    burke would have to do a lot of convincing to make that happen. but he has done it before so if i could put money on any GM in the league to do this it would prolly be him.

Although, Larionov says that CBJ and MTL want both so that becomes even tougher to convince them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    burke would have to do a lot of convincing to make that happen. but he has done it before so if i could put money on any GM in the league to do this it would prolly be him.

Although, Larionov says that CBJ and MTL want both so that becomes even tougher to convince them.
    Check my post in the draft thread I just posted.

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    I think some of your trade proposals are ridiculous. I honestly think this isn't out of the question without including either Kessel or Gardiner who seem to be the 2 most important pieces.

First, you have to nail (totally an accident) the number 1 pick from Edmonton. Edmonton is at a point where they don't REALLY need the number 1 pick in the draft or even a pick at all in the draft. Their biggest needs are a goaltender and a defenceman. Getting them a goaltender for right now (Reimer, 3-way trade with Vancouver possibly) or getting them a number 1 dman or 2 good dmen (Phaneuf, Schenn and Franson) could be enough to get them to move down to a pick in the 20s or right out of the first round.

Second, you have to find a way to move up but you DON'T have to move up to the 2nd pick. IMO, Columbus is actually unlikely to take Galchenyuk at 2 but if Burke for example moves up to 3, he could throw in a 3rd or something to move up to the 2nd spot (he could even probably do that from the 4 spot).

Plus, everyone is taking out the possibility of this being more than 2 trades to get this done. When Burke got the Sedin twins, he started with trading McCabe and his 1st in the next draft for Chicago's 1st round pick which was the 4th pick. Chicago, like Edmonton and maybe the Islanders as well, didn't really NEED that pick. Burke then traded that pick with 2 3rds (unlikely that cheap today) for the 1st pick. The Canucks already had the 3rd pick and they flipped the 1st pick to Atlanta for the 2nd pick (with a conditional 3rd) on the condition that Atlanta would pick Stefan leaving Burke with both Sedin twins.

So how about this in my first attempt to get creative...

1. Clarke MacArthur and Josh Leivo to the Florida Panthers for 1st round pick (23) and a 3rd round pick
    2. 1st round pick (23), 1st round pick (2013), Luke Schenn, John Michael Liles, and Nazem Kadri to the Edmonton Oilers for 1st round pick (1), 3rd round pick
    3. 1st round pick (5), 3rd round pick(FLA), conditional 3rd round pick to the Montreal Canadiens for 1st round pick (3)
    4. 1st round pick (3), 3rd round pick(EDM) to the Columbus Blue Jackets for 1st round pick (2)

In that scenario, Edmonton ends up with Subban or Vasilevski at pick 23, plus a 1st next year(TOR), a good young dman, a veteran puck moving dman, and a good young forward in Kadri who can step in right away and compete in their top 6. Columbus still takes Forsberg at 3 but gets a 3rd rounder to move down from that spot, not really a necessary trade but anyway. We would end up giving up Clarke MacArthur, Josh Leivo, Luke Schenn, John Michael Liles, Nazem Kadri, the 5th overall pick, and a conditional 3rd for the 1st pick and the 2nd pick. Not a bad deal if I do say so myself.

I thought of another one while I was doing that one though hahahha...

1. Cody Franson, James Reimer, Clarke MacArthur, and Greg McKegg to the Vancouver Canucks for Roberto Luongo, 1st round pick (26), and a 3rd round pick
    2. 1st round pick (26) and a 5th round pick to the Philadelphia Flyers for 1st round pick (20)
    3. 1st round pick (20), Luke Schenn, and Joe Colborne to the New York Islanders for 1st round pick (4) and a 3rd round pick
    4. 1st round pick (5), John Michael Liles, Nazem Kadri, 3rd round pick (VAN), conditional 3rd round pick to the Edmonton Oilers for 1st round pick (1), 2nd round pick (32), and Ryan Martindale
    5. 1st round pick (4) and 3rd round pick(NYI) to the Columbus Blue Jackets for 1st round pick (2)

In this scenario, we end up trading Cody Franson, James Reimer, Clarke MacArthur, Greg McKegg, Luke Schenn, Joe Colborne, John Michael Liles, Nazem Kadri, our 1st, and a conditional 3rd for Roberto Luongo, Nail Yakupov, Alex Galchenyuk, Ryan Martindale, and a 2nd round pick. Columbus still ends up taking Filip Forsberg, Montreal still takes Mikhail Grigorenko, Edmonton takes Ryan Murray, and the Islanders end up with Schenn, Colborne, and maybe Subban or Vasilevski with pick 20. Plus with picks 32 and 35, we could end up either moving up or just picking one of Subban, Vasilevski, or Dansk. Or in this same scenario, maybe you use the 2013 1st or the 35th overall pick in place of Schenn, Colborne, Kadri, or McKegg and get to keep one of them. Maybe that first trade just has Franson, Reimer, and McKegg going for Luongo and pick 35 and another pick going for their 1st and you get to keep MacArthur.

This isn't going to be like Kessel and Phaneuf straight up for pick 1, there is going to be more than 1 trade here...

vCash
    To do this we're going to have to deal Kessel or Gardiner. Gardiner I wouldn't move I don't know why, but I wouldn't.

vCash
    I've been trying to think of trade proposals for like 10 mins now Need to include Gardiner

To CBJ: Jake Gardiner, Nazem Kadri, 2013 first round, 2012 2nd, Greg McKegg
    To TOR: #2 overall

To EDM: #5 overall, Ben Scriven's rights, Luke Schenn
    To TOR: #1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blujaysrock View Post
    To do this we're going to have to deal Kessel or Gardiner. Gardiner I wouldn't move I don't know why, but I wouldn't.
    You wouldn't have to at all. If Edmonton has to move out of the draft you probably have to but if you are having Edmonton move down to 5(or higher) you won't have to deal either. Actually I just came up with another scenario too

1. Mikhail Grabovski and 1st round pick 2013 to the New York Islanders for 1st round pick (4)
    2. 1st round pick (4), Luke Schenn, 2nd round pick (35), and a 3rd to Edmonton for 1st round pick (1)
    3. 1st round pick (5), Greg McKegg to Montreal for 1st round pick (3)

Then figure out what Columbus is gonna do at 2 and you give them something if they are gonna take Gally and nothing if they are gonna take Forsberg or Murray. Or you make my Luongo trade from above and you send Edmonton 2 1sts with Schenn and get their 2nd back or something. The Isles need a 2nd line center and if your getting Galchenyuk and Yakupov without giving up Kessel, you are likely going to play them on different lines considering Yakupov is also a right winger.

That one makes us look something like this...

Joffrey Lupul - Tyler Bozak - Phil Kessel
    Clarke MacArthur - Alex Galchenyuk - Nail Yakupov
    Nikolai Kulemin - Tim Connolly - Nazem Kadri/Matt Frattin

The way I'm starting to see it is this...
    Yakupov makes Kadri, Frattin, and others expendable
    Galchenyuk makes Grabovski expendable (if Yakupov is coming too) also makes Colborne expendable and if you keep Grabo he makes Bozak expendable. Connolly of course is already expendable.
    Getting 2 picks makes the 2013 pick expendable
    and the 5th pick is expendable cause you're moving up
    Add that to the fact that Gardiner and hopefully Schultz make at least 2 of Schenn, Franson, Liles, or Gunnarsson expendable

And you end up with weapons like 2012 1st, 2013 1st, Kadri, Frattin, Grabovski, Colborne, McKegg, Schenn, Franson, Liles, and Gunnarsson as trade options. If the Oilers and the Islanders or Canadiens are willing to deal, that's enough to figure it out. This is entirely possible...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast