Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Draft

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Gillis called the pick a slam dunk.
    Gillis thinks trading Grabner and a 1st for Ballard is a good idea.
    Gillis thinks trading one of your top scoring young players for a scrub d-man and a young undeveloped player in the middle of a potential cup run is a good idea.
    Gillis thinks trading for an average overpaid Florida forward will win us a cup.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    Gillis thinks trading one of your top scoring young players for a scrub d-man and a young undeveloped player in the middle of a potential cup run is a good idea.
    Gillis thinks trading for an average overpaid Florida forward will win us a cup.
    Gillis couldn't predict Daniel's concussion.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Personally I HATE taking players who don't have high ceilings in the 1st round. Sure he will probably be a good 3rd line center, but I'd rather take a risk and end up with a possible 1st liner.

vCash
    I do agree with that. Gaunce could be a 2nd line guy. Maybe not likely, but possible.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    No Martin Frk. No Pontus Aberg. No Colton Sissons. No Calle Andersson. No Matthew Finn.

We didn't touch anyone I wanted that we had a chance at . Figures.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    Perfectly stated.

Gillis couldn't predict Daniel's concussion.
    We all know that even with both Daniel and Henrik the team struggled and would have struggled mightily to score. I'm not buying the team's ready-made excuses every year.

Has anyone else noticed how softly the media are going on Gillis this off-season? They seem intimidated and don't want him to stop talking to them so they treat him with kid gloves even though he completely botched the season from Marco Sturm to David Booth to MA Gragnani and beyond. What a mess ... and yet he more or less gets a free pass for one of the most disastrous seasons a GM could have when he's got a contender on his hands.

Right now all the local writers are talking about the hole down the middle that needs fixing, when just a few months ago we had a SURPLUS of high end talent down the middle. Yet they never mention that the hole down the middle is COMPLETELY GILLIS' DOING.

Does that sound familiar when you think about goaltenders? Get my point? We now have a surplus of goalies. What happens if Gillis' moves with the goaltending situation blow up in his face the way his botched moves with our centres did? We went from 3 quality centres fighting it out, all the way down to one -- Henrik -- even though Gillis knew at the time of the Hodgson trade that Kesler was injured.

Anyway, back to Gaunce. I like the sound of the kid, but does Gillis really have a plan at all?? He claimed to be all about offence but couldn't find quality offensive-minded players. Now he's switched horses in mid-stream and wants to get bigger. So, he picked up Kassian, who is very green and could easily go either way as a prospect, and he's picked up Gaunce, whose offensive upside is apparently really limited and his foot speed is average according to scouting reports. I really don't see a plan with this organization other than to follow trends in the league.

vCash
    With Kesler breaking down, and Henrik not getting any younger, it's not a bad idea to stock up on C's. He and Schroeder could anchor our lineup...
    Gillis gets to be brilliant by erasing our depth at C during a cup run, then restocking with a two-way player who might be 2-3 years away from making the team.

We should all get the chance to destroy the strength of the team just to repair it and possibly get back to the level we were at before. Seems all Gillis is able to do is muck around with the status quo.

I am so concerned with the way he might **** up the goalie situation. Hoping for the best but really concerned that his Ballard/Booth/Kassian/Gragnani/Sturm side is the real Mike Gillis.

vCash
    Some high praise here for Gaunce ...

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...201/story.html

vCash
    With the 57th pick the Canucks selected Alexandre Mallet, another C with size. Canucks had him ranked that high while he was expecting to go in the 5th or 6th round. Either the Canucks scouting staff are geniuses and know something everyone else missed or ...

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h...977/story.html

vCash
    All quiet on the trade front..
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Van Sun article on our remaining picks:

PITTSBURGH – The Vancouver Canucks gambled on a classic late-bloomer Saturday morning, but not the one right under their noses.

With the 58th pick of the National Hockey League entry draft, the Canucks selected Rimouski Oceanic left winger Alexandre Mallet, one spot before the Phoenix Coyotes claimed Vancouver Giants' left winger Jordan Martinook.

It was a recurring theme for the Canucks, whose final four picks were all players overlooked in their first year of draft eligibility. Three of them are headed to U.S. colleges, giving the players and the Canucks additional development time.

“They're late-bloomers, but we know what we're getting,” Canuck general manager Mike Gillis said after netting five prospects, including Friday first-rounder Brendan Gaunce, at hockey's annual talent lottery. “We're trying to get players who are ready [for professional hockey] and if they're not ready. . . are going to college.”

The Canucks' pick included sixth-rounder Wesley Myron, a 19-year-old high-scoring winger from the Victoria Grizzlies who is the first B.C. player drafted by B.C.'s NHL team in four years. Myron is headed to Boston University.

Fifth-round pick Ben Hutton, a defenceman from Nepean, Ont., is going to the University of Maine in the fall and seventh-rounder Matthew Beattie, a high school winger from New Jersey, is committed to Yale University.

Mallet, a Quebec League player with a robust two-way game, is 20 and could play for the Canucks' American Hockey League farm team next year.

Players bypassed in the draft as 18-year-olds often are considered lesser prospects. Mallet, for instance, was completely unrated by the NHL's scouting department.

“Kids grow up and they get better if they work at their game,” Gillis explained. “With Mallet, we feel he's close to being a professional player. We felt secure in taking him. I'm not concerned at all about [his draft year]. I'm concerned if he can play and fits what we're looking for.”

“I didn't even think about the second round,” Mallet said. “Probably five or six. . . was what I suspect. It's really nice. I can not describe the feeling.

At 6-1 and 195 pounds, with an abrasive edge and enough skill to score 81 points in 68 games for the Rimouski Oceanic, Mallet is what the Canucks were looking for.

“I play a lot this year,” the Amqui, Que., native said in accented English. “I don't play that much at 16, 17, 18. This year I got more chance, so I'm more confident this year and things went pretty well. I just concentrate to work hard. I'm happy.”

So was Martinook, the 19-year-old from Leduc, Alta., who scored 40 goals for Don Hay's Giants this season but chose not to attend the draft. Martinook was at his family's lake place when he was called by his agent, then the Coyotes.

“My phone was 100 per cent an hour ago, now it's down to 20,” Martinook said. “I wasn't expecting to go in the 2nd round. I had a meeting with Phoenix and they told me they were really interested. They told me [today] they wanted to get me before I was gone.”

Martinook said the Canucks did not interview him.

“Obviously, they saw me play as much as anybody,” he said. “It was always a possibility that Vancouver could be one of the teams, but I never had a meeting with them so they were never really on my radar.”

Mallet said he had contact with the Canucks a few times this season.

“It's one of my favorite teams in the NHL,” he said. “I watch them a lot this year. I'm very proud to be drafted by the Canucks.”

Asked to describe his game, Mallet said: “I drive the net, big guy, skate, I have a good shot, can fight. I do a lot of bodychecks. It's my kind of play to play hard.”

The Canucks, who had no picks in the third and fourth rounds due to trades for Max Lapierre and Sammy Pahlsson, leave Pittsburgh with only five new players. They also leave with Roberto Luongo still in the organization after Gillis didn't get close to trading the 33-year-old who lost his starting job to Cory Schneider in the playoffs.
    © Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/V...#ixzz1yeC4rxpZ

<3

vCash
    Some decent picks and I don't think much else was there that I would prefer over what we took. It was not a deep draft. Gaunce has some positive reviews and projects as a 2nd or 3rd line centre with some hands. If he can improve his wheels then we're talkin'! Our second pick seems like a solid line 3 guy and maybe a line 2 FWD. Not terrible but not great. These guys may not be marquee line 1 types but were there any left? I don't think many were projected to be line 1 types at our draft spot. It'll take years to judge this draft and anybody pounding the table over our picks needs to get a grip; pro-scouts will have a better idea than you.

Anyway, our farm team will have a nice mix of small speed/skill guys and and some power forwards. We will hopefully see some of them coming up in a few years (or sooner if need be).

It seems the Hodgson deal had more elements to it. His camp constantly whining about ice team etc is moronic. When you see an interview with him and other Canucks, in the background, are yelling: "Want more ice time!" You know there was something wrong. So, it seems he had to go. Hopefully Kassian starts the year on the farm team and plays some meaningful minutes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12