Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

No more rolling for Chapman

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/baker-t...9064--mlb.html
    CINCINNATI (AP) -- Reds manager Dusty Baker has made sure that closer Aroldis Chapman won't be doing any more somersaults after finishing a game.

Chapman did a pair of forward rolls after striking out Martin Maldonado to complete a 4-3 win over the Milwaukee Brewers on Tuesday night. Chapman has been struggling lately, and celebrated his ninth save with somersaults toward home plate.

Baker has made sure that Chapman knows he was out of line.

''It's been addressed already and it's over,'' Baker said on Wednesday, before an afternoon game against the Brewers. ''It won't happen again - ever. I know he's happy and things have been going poorly for him, but he's got to demonstrate in a different way.''

Chapman, who speaks through a translator, declined to discuss it.
    The Brewers were surprised to see Chapman's forward rolls, but Baker doesn't expect retaliation. He played three years with Brewers manager Ron Roenicke on the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Asked if he would tell Roenicke that he's handled the matter, Baker said, ''I think that's between us and the Brewers, know what I mean? You know, Ron was my teammate. He knows me. He knows me very well. He knows how I am. He knows how I do things.

''Next subject.''

Chapman's had an eventful first half of the season.
    The hard-throwing Cuban was getting ready for the rotation during spring training when injuries wiped out the back end of the bullpen. With closer Ryan Madson and set-up men Bill Bray and Nick Masset hurt, Baker moved Chapman back into a set-up role.

Chapman pitched so well - no earned runs allowed in his first 24 appearances, a club record - that he moved into the closer's role. The left-hander has struggled in the last two weeks. He had given up game-losing homers against Cleveland then Minnesota in consecutive outings before his save on Tuesday night.

There have been several off-field problems as well.

Chapman was arrested for speeding - going 93 mph on an interstate - and driving with a suspended license in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio, in the early hours of May 21.

During a series in Pittsburgh a week later, an exotic dancer claimed she was tied up by an unknown assailant in Chapman's hotel room and robbed of $6,000 in jewelry while the pitcher was away. She has been charged with filing a false police report. Police said some of Chapman's items were stolen from the room.

Also, Chapman has been sued for $18 million by a Cuban-American who claims that before the pitcher defected from Cuba, he made false statements that resulted in the man being imprisoned.
    Watch the roll here. This is was some funny **** lol

vCash
    I don't think it's funny at all it's just annoying. Maybe it's just me but I also don't like wide receivers in football dancing around like idiots after a catch. Glad in baseball it's somehow limited to closers for whatever reason.
    Act like you've been there before...

vCash
    I wish all closers pulled off sick barrel rolls after saves.

***** hilarious.

vCash
    Oh screw off Dusty, let the man roll. Don't like it? Get a hit and mock him.

vCash
    Imagine if Valverde did that? People would be so ****ing mad.

vCash
    I don't think it was that bad. Kinda funny actually. If Heath bell does this people love it.

vCash
    He isn't going to hurt himself by doing that, sheesh.

Chapman got into more trouble over this than his going 93 without a license fiasco.

Which one is more dangerous Cincy?

vCash
    LOL that was kind of funny though.

Anything is better then watching Pap or Valverde closing out a game.

vCash
    If you don't want him celebrating then don't let him get the save. It's that simple.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

Chapman got into more trouble over this than his going 93 without a license fiasco.

Which one is more dangerous Cincy?
    It's not about getting hurt, it's about being a damn professional.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by keymax View Post
    It's not about getting hurt, it's about being a damn professional.
    I HATE showboating.

And I HATE the Reds

But this didn't bother me.

Valverde's antics annoy me more than Chapman doing a couple of barrel rolls toward his catcher for a simple high-five.

It didn't bug me, and most show-boating does.

Either way, it's still ridiculous that he got into more trouble over this than the illegal activities.

vCash
    God forbid a guy who is a tough stretch has a little fun out there to maybe loosen up and remember it's just a game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I've seen weirder injuries happen in this wonderful sport

I thought it was classless but Chapman will never do it again. I love watching the video and the catcher didn't even really want to shake his hand after that. I think it was Hanigan.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

Only one person doesn't understand the ignore list. Predictable and cowardly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RTL View Post
    I've seen weirder injuries happen in this wonderful sport

I thought it was classless but Chapman will never do it again. I love watching the video and the catcher didn't even really want to shake his hand after that. I think it was Hanigan.
    The catcher was laughing afterwards and he gave him a lil hug after Chapman explained the roll lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by keymax View Post
    I don't think it's funny at all it's just annoying. Maybe it's just me but I also don't like wide receivers in football dancing around like idiots after a catch. Glad in baseball it's somehow limited to closers for whatever reason.
    Act like you've been there before...
    What's wrong with football players dancing after a nice catch? I am fine with it as long as it isn't a shot at the other team.

Just about that action boss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast