Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    outside personal taste, please tell me why Maynard James Keenan is not on everyones list?
    I'm just not a big fan of his music. (ducks for cover)

I respect the hell out of him and his fellow musicians (the drummer in Tool is ridiculous) but its just not my style. Technically the dude is unreal. I have a very good friend that swears by Tool and Keenan.

vCash
    ^Never heard of him. Just looked him up on Wikipedia, I don't listen to any of the bands he was listed under.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir13579 View Post
    I'm just not a big fan of his music. (ducks for cover)

I respect the hell out of him and his fellow musicians (the drummer in Tool is ridiculous) but its just not my style. Technically the dude is unreal. I have a very good friend that swears by Tool and Keenan.
    now you have 2 friends who swear by Tool and Keenan haha. Seen them 7 times, Been a fan since my friend drug me to see them play on the Undertow tour years ago. I think he may be the best technical singer in metal history. He is able to sing all the emotions we aren't supposed to talk about imo. Lust, anger, jealousy, resentment, etc. That is nearly impossible to do.

I just wish Tool wasn't so ****ing lazy, and would put an album out more than once every 6 years.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by delfinko View Post
    ^Never heard of him. Just looked him up on Wikipedia, I don't listen to any of the bands he was listed under.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1YM476Pa4o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycAByDNZYrA

here are a couple

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    now you have 2 friends who swear by Tool and Keenan haha. Seen them 7 times, Been a fan since my friend drug me to see them play on the Undertow tour years ago. I think he may be the best technical singer in metal history. He is able to sing all the emotions we aren't supposed to talk about imo. Lust, anger, jealousy, resentment, etc. That is nearly impossible to do.

I just wish Tool wasn't so ****ing lazy, and would put an album out more than once every 6 years.
    Man you sound just like my friend too! haha

What album would you recommend for me? I know most of their stuff is ridiculously intricate and with crazy time signatures. I get that its an acquired taste but i need to know where to start.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir13579 View Post
    Man you sound just like my friend too! haha

What album would you recommend for me? I know most of their stuff is ridiculously intricate and with crazy time signatures. I get that its an acquired taste but i need to know where to start.
    well, they only have 4 full albums. Start with Undertow, their first release. Their LP previous was basically a screamer/harder sound, but Undertow is where they started experimenting more with the music. They really started to mess with the time signatures on their next album, "Schism" is a great example of this (I posted it above).

It's either something you will like, or something you will be indifferent to. I personally think Maynard is a genius. His first lyrics were all about forming change and touching subjects not talked about often, now it seems a lot of his lyrics come from personal experiences.

But yeah, I have never heard anyone sing the spectrum of emotions like he can. Especially the dark ones we all suppress.

vCash
    Yeah I know both those songs, and surprisingly a few more by Tool. I knew of Tool, and A Perfect Circle, just didn't know the singer's name since I don't really follow them. In the right mood I'll listen to stuff like that, but I mostly just don't care for it.

vCash
    Off the top of my head I cant really do a list, but Chris Martin is definitely at or near the top. That man is a god.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    1. Lennon/McCartney

vCash
    If anyone on here is young and has never gotten into the Beatles - listen to their stuff from 1966-1969 and they're solo stuff from the 70's. It's magical.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fadedmario View Post
    If anyone on here is young and has never gotten into the Beatles - listen to their stuff from 1966-1969 and they're solo stuff from the 70's. It's magical.
    yes it is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    Off the top of my head I cant really do a list, but Chris Martin is definitely at or near the top. That man is a god.
    Are you serious? Off pure technical ability, Chris Martin isn't even good. He sings easy songs (I can freakin sing them), has minimal range, and needs to jump into falsetto anytime he goes high.

Sorry if you were serious, I don't mean to smash on your guy, but in no way, shape or form does Chris Martin belong as the answer to this thread, despite music taste being an opinion.

Don't let my GF read this, I have to see Coldplay Monday night here in Houston. She worships them. FML

vCash
    yes it is

vCash
    Chris Cornell
    Robert Plant
    Layne Staley
    Eddie Vetter
    Dave Grohl
    John Lennon/Paul McCartney
    Brian Johnson
    Sammy Hagar
    Axl Rose
    Freddie Mercury

vCash
    Are you serious? Off pure technical ability, Chris Martin isn't even good. He sings easy songs (I can freakin sing them), has minimal range, and needs to jump into falsetto anytime he goes high.

Sorry if you were serious, I don't mean to smash on your guy, but in no way, shape or form does Chris Martin belong as the answer to this thread, despite music taste being an opinion.

Don't let my GF read this, I have to see Coldplay Monday night here in Houston. She worships them. FML
    LMFAO. I got a kick out of this. But hey, i listed Tom Yorke and i don't think he is leaps and bounds technically better than Chris Martin. It depends on what ya dig i guess.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast