Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Are players coming up older than they used to?

I feel like a decade ago, players would come up at the age of 20-22.

Now I feel like organizations "baby" their prospects and by the time they come to the majors they are 24-26. They first two seasons are usually a time for players to get accustomed to the majors and mature in most cases.

This means by 26-28 they are ready? You've wasted almost 4 years.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Trout and Harper say "hello!"
    1st Place...the only place that matters

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Trout and Harper say "hello!"
    I knew someone would mention them, because I forgot to.

well it just depends on the situation. Some players develop faster, some slower. Also, you have to look at a players tools, a lot of times players we be brought up to the majors who are younger because their tools show that they can handle the majors along with the ability to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsNY View Post
    Same here.

I think there's something here but I'm unwilling to do the research. Teams are letting guys develop more (and are better at doing it), but also with improved amateur coaching guys who can move fast do move fast so it's happening quietly.

It really just depends on if they are drafted out of high school or college, imo

Quote Originally Posted by SportsNY View Post
    There's plenty of young players in the league. Mike Stanton, Starlin Castro, Anthony Rizzo, Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Steven Strasburg, Jesus Montero....I can keep going but I think the point is made: these guys aren't 24 when they come up. They're all amazingly young. Castro is on his 3rd season and he just turned 22 for example.

Teams are being a little more cautious with pitchers, but thats because you need to limit their IP some. In the end, however, I think you're just forgetting a lot of these players.
    1st Place...the only place that matters

Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Same here.

I think there's something here but I'm unwilling to do the research. Teams are letting guys develop more (and are better at doing it), but also with improved amateur coaching guys who can move fast do move fast so it's happening quietly.
    And probably part of letting them develop more in the minors is because teams don't want to waste their limited pre-free agency time on player development at the major league level. I think that they want to get 6 (?) of the best and most productive years possible out of their young players, rather than waste some of that time on less than fully productive years while the players are coming up to speed.

I think your right, other then large markets.. You can see small market teams keeping their top guys down to keep them in through their "pay day" years.. Teams like LA, Washington, New York have the capital to pay them the amount due when they become super stars.. Teams like the Twins, Astros, Baltimore are "cheap" and want to have control over them in their prime. I feel like Aaron Hicks should be in AAA at least, he has put it together lately most teams would let him advance to the next level.. teams like the Twins will not want to start his pay day clock..

Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    And probably part of letting them develop more in the minors is because teams don't want to waste their limited pre-free agency time on player development at the major league level. I think that they want to get 6 (?) of the best and most productive years possible out of their young players, rather than waste some of that time on less than fully productive years while the players are coming up to speed.
    Definitely...Cubs haven't rushed Vitters for this reason IMO, and kept Rizzo in AAA this year for similar reasons.

If this is true at all it will probably stop being true by next decade. Amateur coaching and prep is just getting better, and the MLB seems to really want the college game to be alot like football's college game.

We probably have more college baseball players now then we used to.

But the bigger difference is the stars.

The average big leaguer makes their debut now at the age of 23, that's about 1-2 years post-college.

A lot of players still come up at 20/21/22

Infante, Prado, King Felix, Adam Jones just random guys to name

I'd say it's harder for guys to make it at 19/20 now then it was in say the 50's, but there is more big league talent now too. I wouldn't call it a case of babying. You'll get called up when your talent is that of a big leaguers. And with more teams, there is more talent on the field. Just have to be on that level.

And college baseball is growing, regardless if anybody is paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    We probably have more college baseball players now then we used to.

But the bigger difference is the stars.

The average big leaguer makes their debut now at the age of 23, that's about 1-2 years post-college.

A lot of players still come up at 20/21/22

Infante, Prado, King Felix, Adam Jones just random guys to name

I'd say it's harder for guys to make it at 19/20 now then it was in say the 50's, but there is more big league talent now too. I wouldn't call it a case of babying. You'll get called up when your talent is that of a big leaguers. And with more teams, there is more talent on the field. Just have to be on that level.

And college baseball is growing, regardless if anybody is paying attention.
    Thats exactly right.

Id say 70% of the time, its because the young baseball players arent happy with the amount of money that they are receiving in the draft, so they get a college scholarship and they go to college and return 2 years later so instead of getting a 1.5 million signing bonus, they get better in college and they can demand a 5 million signing bonus.

Im being serious, its all about $$$ in the draft now. Guys like Scott Boras have manipulated the draft pick system so much that $$$ is everything to these players.

Yes! You get quite a few High schoolers who are willing to make the leap if they get a decent signing bonus, but its not too common anymore.

Im surprised that they dont think about their future, look at the position these high school students can get later on. If they can make it to the MLB by the time they hit 21 and stay with the team at that level, they can be a free agent by 27/28 and ask for 10 years....maybe even 12 years with the same team and be locked at 25 - 30 million a year. Thats just how important money is in this game now, if youre an All-Star, youre making 20 million a year plus nowadays. I wish I would have got into professional sports, theres just too much money to be made in it these days.

It has to do with more and more players going to college to play.

Not really.. Bumgarner, Sale, Castro, Trout, Harper, Andrus, Felix, Strasburg, Upton Brothers, Heyward, Kimbrel etc. etc.

I hadn't noticed it. If anything I thought they where coming up younger.
    With the deepest of regrets I am announcing that I will be leaving Pro Sports Daily. No reason in particular but wanted to thank everyone for a great 6 years here. Lots of great discussion and good poll series as well. Also fun re-drafts. Best of luck to you all in the future.