1992 Team vs 2012 Team (not their primes but that year)
I know there's another thread about this but ChrisPalmer's comments were just didn't make sense. He tweeted that the 30 year olds on the dream team could not handle the speed of our era but then also tweeted that KG and Duncan should be on the team to guard "the ringless Malone and Barkley
So let's discuss the actual matchups involved and who would win them. For purposes of this discussion I am assuming Rose and Howard are on the team:
PG: Magic/Stockton vs CP3/Rose/Dwill
SG: Jordan/Drexler vs Kobe/Wade
SF: Pippen/Mullen/Bird vs Durant/Melo
PF: Barkley/Malone vs Lebron/Bosh or Griffin
C: Ewing/Robinson vs Howard/Love
College: Laetner vs Davis
I didn't put Bynum because he has never committed to the team.
1. Magic and Bird are way past their primes (Bird's play was limited)
2. Wade and Kobe are on their decline while MJ was at or approaching his peak
3. Pippen was at or approaching his defensive peak - he can handle Durant or Melo. Mullen shot 56% from the 3. He was deadly - don't underestimate his shooting
4. Barkley and Malone were not as athletic as Lebron or Griffin but they could overpower opponenets
5. Ewing and Robinson were extremely athletic as well so don't underestimate that.
They lived in an era where 2 way players were valued a lot more then now (centers especially)
PG: 2012 >> 1992 - too quick but the 1992 big men can rotate and stop them
SG: 1992 >>> 2012 - jordan
SF: 2012 > 1992 - when pippen's not in the game it will be tough to guard durant melo
PF: 1992 = 2012 - barkley/malone would over power them but lebron would be very hard to guard
C: 1992 > 2012 - ewing and robinson were better offensive players (and not too shabby on defense)
Last edited by JerseyPalahniuk; 06-14-2012 at 03:19 PM.
1992 and 1996 would be the best two. 2008 and 2012 are literally crap compared to those two.
we all know dream team, how about 1996:
Stockton, Payton, Reggie Miller, Penny Hardaway, Grant Hill, Richmond, Pippen, Karl Malone, Hakeem, Shaq, David Robinson, Barkley...
Yeah you are probably right looking at 08 the thing that brings it down is the inclusion of Prince, Redd, and Boozer. They had to have those specialist type players on the team which brings it down a few notches. That 96 team was strong.