Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    The fanboys here will freak out but THIS is a great idea. I mean we're not competing, and we have WAY too many holes to fill.

Trading Dickey and Santana WHEN THEIR VALUE IS HIGH can bring back legit "A" prospects that can come up 2-3 years from now to play with our young guys now.

Also we should consider trading David Wright for "A" prospects. We don't want to get burned like we did with Jose Reyes. I know the Mets would have traded Reyes for something good but the fanboys got upset and we ended up with nothing. The fans have to stop letting emotions for a player get in the way and they need to see what is best for the team. Building a legit future by trading our best pieces now is the best way to go.

I say sell HIGH!!!!!!
    I think you're an f-ing genius. So every time a player starts producing well, we should just trade him for prospects, hold on to the prospects and when they start playing well, trade them for new prospects, and so on and so one.

That way, we'll always be selling high.

Dude, you really need to grow a pair and start deciding which players you're going to need when it is time to make a run for it. Because, dude, if you can't see that R.A is that very same player you're going to want in the trenches with you, then you need to grow more than a pair of culyones. You also need to grow a pair of eyes.

Because, dude, you're blind.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    I say, you are a fool.

Let's trade Zach Wheeler for some prospects before he has a couple more bad starts in AA.
    Throw in Harvey after his great performance tonight, it should fetch us some guys for down the road.

This is why you work in X industry and not in a MLB Front Office.
    What is it about these older players that make you want to keep them already knowing that Wilpon will not spend money to better the team via free agents for a few years????? By the time we're good again, Wright would have been past his prime.

The value of Wright, Dickey, and Santana is sky high right now. When we're a mediocre team the next few years, and if these 3 player's efficiency goes down, you'll be kicking yourself over not trading them for legit "A" prospects when you had the chance. Didn't anyone learn anything from the Reyes thing????

Fans need to think about strategy better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I think you're an f-ing genius. So every time a player starts producing well, we should just trade him for prospects, hold on to the prospects and when they start playing well, trade them for new prospects, and so on and so one.
    I wouldn't do that if I knew that we had a team that will compete for a title either now, or in the next year or so. This is something we DON'T have. We have a few good young players, with a few good vets who are performing at their best ever. Unless you're going to convince that Wilpon will pay for and surround Wright, Santana, and Dickey with legit players to get us to be legit championship contenders, keeping them is worthless.

If we were only 2 players away from a title with Wilpon willing to spend, then OF COURSE I'D WANT TO KEEP THOSE GUYS!!!!! But we don't have that now....nor does it look like we're going to have that for a while.

Learn from the Reyes thing!!!!!! Stop letting your heart get in the way and start strategizing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    I wouldn't do that if I knew that we had a team that will compete for a title either now, or in the next year or so. This is something we DON'T have. We have a few good young players, with a few good vets who are performing at their best ever. Unless you're going to convince that Wilpon will pay for and surround Wright, Santana, and Dickey with legit players to get us to be legit championship contenders, keeping them is worthless.

If we were only 2 players away from a title with Wilpon willing to spend, then OF COURSE I'D WANT TO KEEP THOSE GUYS!!!!! But we don't have that now....nor does it look like we're going to have that for a while.

Learn from the Reyes thing!!!!!! Stop letting your heart get in the way and start strategizing.
    We;re talking about three players here, so let's take them one at a time:

Wright: Best third baseman in baseball right now, his game took off when he met with his old high school coach and they brought in the fences. We have every reason to believe what we see now is what we can expect for at least the next 5 seasons.

RA Dickey: A career year, sure, but what we're seeing now isn't much different from what we've seen since he began mastering the knuckler in 2010. Because he's a knuckler, we can expect him to pitch at this level for the next 5 seasons.

Santana: One more year to go on his contract and there;s no telling how he's got left in that surgically repaired shoulder of his. I'd say he has two more years tops pitching at this level of excellence, last two starts notwithstanding.

Meanwhile you have several strong arms pitching lights out in the high minors and it is not out of the realm of possibility that they could start producing for us as early as next year, certainly within two years. You also have two potentially very big bats also on the horizon, guys like Matt Den Dekker and Wilmer Flores who could be up and producing within two years.

Don't look now, dude, but the Mets have the makings of a very good baseball team for many years to come beginning in the next year or two.

And wouldnt it be a shame if those kids had to make it without the anchors they have now, just because you want to sell high?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    The modern baseball fan seems to care more and more about esoteric statistical metrics and the Baseball America minor league system rankings, and less and less about the performance of the actual major league team.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Even as a Knucklerballer no one is trading much for a 38 dude, and that's the smart thing to do. We're better off with keeping him because who knows for how long he'll be good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post

That way, we'll always be selling high.

Dude, you really need to grow a pair and start deciding which players you're going to need when it is time to make a run for it. Because, dude, if you can't see that R.A is that very same player you're going to want in the trenches with you, then you need to grow more than a pair of culyones. You also need to grow a pair of eyes.

Because, dude, you're blind.
    hey why not? it's worked so good for the pirates and royals for the last 2 decades....

oh right it hasn't....

vCash
    If the Mets trade Lord Dickey...I will officially announce an end to my tenure as a Mets fan. Seriously, I'll jump ship to whatever team Dickey gets traded to...thats how upset I would be.

That pretty much should sum up how I feel about trading Dickey and selling high.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 06-15-2012 at 12:41 AM.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    ^no you wont. you'll be upset and you'll probably go in your room to pout for a little bit. eventually you'll come back and suffer with the rest of us.

vCash
    Nope...I'll jump ship.

If this team takes on the attitude of the poster who created this thread...I'll jump ship, follow Dickey, and never look back.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 06-15-2012 at 12:50 AM.
    DUDA

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    And whats with the notion of us not being able to compete.

We are competing right now lol. Actually, if the season ended right now, we'd be in the playoffs lol.

If it weren't for our ****** bullpen, we'd be fighting with the Nats for first place.

The offense has overachieved despite injuries and one of our key guys (Ike Davis) slumping all season. I'm not sure they will keep overachieving, but hey, they keep proving us all wrong so whats the point of not believing that its possible that they just might keep it going.

The starting rotation looks really good right now too. The look like a playoff rotation at the moment.

I don't expect this team to make the playoffs, but its definitely a very realistic possibility that this team could be playing meaningful baseball in September.

The fact that some Mets fans on this site want to give up and sell high...is just a flat out joke.
    DUDA

vCash
    RA Dickey is a good pitcher, but this year seriously seems like an anomaly to me. He's been too good. Eventually, teams will figure him out. If you are willing to trade your loyalty as a Mets fan for a guy who is 51 - 51 on his career than you are not a true fan. You just love Dickey.

All Met fans will get uptight when they hear the idea of trading Dickey. Just blinded by his nice guy persona and recent hot streak. Dickey is easy to like. He's a great story. He likely won't get traded because he is a great, Christian guy to have in the clubhouse.

Business wise however, he is at the highest point his stock will ever be. If you are thinking from a business perspective, you trade him while you can and get back younger pieces.

vCash
    I don't care...I will follow my Lord and Savior Robert Allen til I die.

You should be so lucky that he doesn't strike you down for even thinking about trading him...for he is a kind and forgiving Lord and Savior.
    DUDA

vCash
    http://risingapple.com/tag/r-a-dickey-trade/

" Speaking ill of R.A. Dickey is considered blasphemy among many Mets fans. Over the past two seasons, Dickey has not only been one of the most consistent pitchers on the staff, but also one of the most colorful characters, entertaining fans on his Twitter account and scaling mountains for charity. In dire times for the Amazins, it is difficult to think that the knuckleballer might be traded, but it is a real possibility.

Since joining the Mets in 2010, Dickey has been remarkably consistent for a knuckleball pitcher. In 383 innings, Dickey owns a 3.08 ERA and 1.209 WHIP, along with a 2.48 K/BB, 0.7 HR/9 and 1.12 ground ball to fly ball ratio. Heís also shown the ability to work deep into games, averaging 6.6 innings pitcher per game started, and has always kept his team in games; out of his 58 starts as a Met, heís given up five runs or more just nine times, six runs or more only five times and seven runs or more just once (in that game, he allowed seven runs exactly).

Dickey has also proven to be an asset in the field, saving five runs in 2010 and eight in 2011, in addition to picking off five runners. Heís also shown an ability to handle the bat, recording 21 hits in 130 plate appearances during his Mets career while laying down 16 sacrifice bunts in 21 attempts (to compare, Mike Pelfrey has 25 hits in 297 career PA and 23 sac bunts in 35 attempts). Overall, his contributions have amounted to to fWARs of 2.8 and 2.5 in 2010 and 2011, respectively. So given his success and popularity among fans, why on Earth would Dickey be traded?

For one, the fact that Dickey has had consistent success adds to his value. He isnít an ace, but would fit well in the middle or back end of the rotation for a contending team looking for an additional arm. Knuckleballers arenít oftend dealt at the trading deadline given their yearly fluctuations, but if Dickey puts together another solid first half, many teams will likely cast those doubts aside.

Furthermore, Dickeyís contract is very team friendly. He is owed $4.75 million this year with an affordable $5 million club option for 2013. If he was traded at the deadline, the acquiring team would only be paying a paltry amount, and then could either exercise his option for next season or buy out his contract for $300,000. In turn, the Mets would hopefully receive a prospect or two while saving a couple of million bucks this year.

Trading Dickey would likely be an unpopular move among Mets fans, especially given his relatively affordable contract. There is also no guarantee that there will be a market for this services. However, should a market develop, General Manager Sandy Alderson would surely perform his due diligence and explore the options. "

vCash
    Umm.. I got news for you.. Nobody is figuring out a knuckleballer when he's on.

Thinking from a business perspective? You've got an ace for $5m next year and you want to give him away for prospects that fizzle 90% of the time when we already have a team ready to make a run at the playoffs. It would be a HORRRRRRRIBLE business decisions.. Absolutely the worst possible one I could think of at the moment.

Thank GOD that you aren't the GM of this team. It would be in shambles.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast