Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    Why does it have to be Bauer and Profar two of the best up comers at their position in baseball. Where the hell is that coming from??? That is just you being delusional, a homer, and proving to me you have no understanding of how trades work.

The Mets can get high end guys back for Dickey and still come away with a steal.

Wrong.. No they can't. Nobody is trading anything of value for one-season of a 38 year old knuckleballer. Sorry, it just ain't happening.

vCash
    No

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    Wrong.. No they can't. Nobody is trading anything of value for one-season of a 38 year old knuckleballer. Sorry, it just ain't happening.
    I think you're wrong. Especially since teams give up a boatload of prospects for half season rentals at the deadline.

Having a full season of Dickey would be something contending teams who lose out on Hamels would be lining up at the door for.

Teams will pay through the nose for good pitching given the new CBA rules regardless of contract and regardless of age.

vCash
    If we're not competing next year, and at the deadline some team goes haywire and throws us a big offer for Dickey.. Then Okay. I'd do it.

But trading him in the winter, when we figure to compete in 2013, is totally silly and borderline insane. The Pirates wouldn't even do something that stupid. You think they are going to trade Burnett this winter? That has as much chance of happening as us trading Dickey. Zero.

vCash
    If we're not competing next year, and at the deadline some team goes haywire and throws us a big offer for Dickey.. Then Okay. I'd do it.

But trading him in the winter, when we figure to compete in 2013, is totally silly and borderline insane. The Pirates wouldn't even do something that stupid. You think they are going to trade Burnett this winter? That has as much chance of happening as us trading Dickey. Zero.
    I'm completely ok with us holding onto Dickey and having him in our rotation next season, I just don't want another Reyes situation where our top type A free agent leaves because we think we are in contention and all we are left with is a couple of draft picks when said player leaves the Mets for greener pastures and a chance at contention.

Reyes leaving left a sour taste in my mouth because we could have traded him and gotten a lot. I know we wouldn't get as much for Dickey because he is older but I do think we can get something more valuable than draft picks.

Keeping him is a win and trading him is fine with me too. It's the losing him for virtually nothing part that I'm worried about. To me, the safer bet would be to trade him since I don't expect a season like this from him ever again.

I definitely could be wrong though, but this season is just too remarkable. In my mind its not 100 percent out of the realm of possibilities that we get good players back, especially since teams will be bitter about losing out on Hamels.
    Last edited by Vintage; 06-14-2012 at 01:53 AM.

vCash
    I'll take my chances on what we do have next year: A shot to win 90+ games with one of the best #2's in the game for $5 million. Rather than a couple mid-level prospects that more often than not, do not amount to a hill of beans. We have prospects. When you have a chance to win now, you do not sacrifice it away to win in 2-3 years.

Unless some team is dumb enough to give us a Bundy-type prospect, it should never be done.

vCash
    You guys belong in the loony bin.. The Draft pick you'd get from losing him would far exceed anything ANYBODY would trade you for Dickey. Nevermind that this team can win 90+ games next year! Trading him this winter would be the dumbest move in the history of baseball.
    Dumber than the Red Sox trading Babe Ruth ? Me think not !!!!

How about the Reds trading Frank Robinson to the Orioles ?

How about the Mets trading Nolan Ryan ?

vCash
    If you're going to trade him, why not do it mid-season? I'm not saying I would, but if you decide to then do it now. His value is never getting higher.

He is going to have a good season no doubt abut it, but there's no way he finishes this season with 25 win and a 2.2 ERA which is what he's on pace for. Plus you would get the extra half season on the contract as value towards the trade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Trading Johan makes much more sense because he's an older, surgically repaired 34 year old conventional pitcher having a great year. He also makes a lot more money. If the Mets can eat his salary, they'd get a really good prospect or two for him since pitching is always in demand.
    Santana is not older, he's 3 or 4 years younger. I guess you mean that he has less good years left in him? Not even sure about that to be quite honest. Santana has been an ace this season with rare exceptions. Even if he drops off a bit, he still has 3 good years in him at least right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    If you're going to trade him, why not do it mid-season? I'm not saying I would, but if you decide to then do it now. His value is never getting higher.

He is going to have a good season no doubt abut it, but there's no way he finishes this season with 25 win and a 2.2 ERA which is what he's on pace for. Plus you would get the extra half season on the contract as value towards the trade.
    If the Mets fall off by the deadline, it becomes more likely. Right now the Mets are in contention and I don't consider us sellers in a month. That is why games are played though as time goes by. Only time will tell. We'll see.

vCash
    Mets can lose 30 in a row until the deadline.. they aren't trading Dickey or anyone else that can contribute next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Santana is not older, he's 3 or 4 years younger. I guess you mean that he has less good years left in him? Not even sure about that to be quite honest. Santana has been an ace this season with rare exceptions. Even if he drops off a bit, he still has 3 good years in him at least right?
    Yeah I meant older as in how many good years he has left. Johan's shoulder/elbow etc. could just give out at any time. He's had way too many injuries.

I think of Dickey as young because knucklers can last a long time, and he's got the best one I've ever seen. It's not outrageous to think he can go another 10 years since he throws it so hard.

vCash
    Skeptics have been saying that he's having a fluke season for three years now. At some point you have to man up and realize he's the real deal. I have my worries about him pitching in the cold and the elements, but he looks more like a legitimate ace every day. Being a knuckleballer means that he's not at the end of his career like most 37-year-old pitchers would be. For all we know he'll be pitching when he's 47.

Trading him would be stupid. He's an ace-type pitcher, a huge fan-favorite, and part of the long-term solution. You don't trade that away for a bunch of maybes.

Johan, on the other hand...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    If the Mets fall off by the deadline, it becomes more likely. Right now the Mets are in contention and I don't consider us sellers in a month. That is why games are played though as time goes by. Only time will tell. We'll see.
    A decision like that isn't going to hinge on our deadline position this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spicymayo View Post
    I totaly agree and whether i like it or not, our best chance to win is going to be in 2-3 years when our prospects start coming up. Trading him will officially label us as in rebuilding mode but could end up being a genius move.
    In 2-3 years he will be an anchor in the rotation still. Dickey is a keeper. Plus, this team CAN be a legit contender in 2013. No need to throw the 2013 season away.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast