Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Should the Mets look to trade R.A. Dickey?

I was just wondering if the Mets are looking to play for next year and beyond, shouldnt they trade R.A. Dickey and Santana? Also what type of value would they bring back?

vCash
    No.

vCash
    Lol wut.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    From a business standpoint, trading Dickey in the Offseason might actually be a smart thing to do. For all we know, this could be a fluke season and we can severely rip another team off. None of you guys can definitively say that this may not be a fluke season, just like no one can definitively say he has turned the corner and is entering his prime. 10-1 is great, but we just don't know.

From Mets fans standpoints who are gaga over Dickey and Santana right now, you will be laughed at and mocked by every single one. They will say things like " lol wut " and "are you crazy" but...

If the motto is to make this team better in the future and to add young players who can fill in at places where the Mets have holes (Catcher, bullpen, middle infield, rotation, etc.) than trading Dickey this Offseason or at least dangling him to a team willing to overpay (who wouldn't overpay for Hamels) might be a good to great idea. We really might be able to rip someone off because pitching is in high demand.

Santana is going no where anytime soon.
    Last edited by Vintage; 06-14-2012 at 12:54 AM.

vCash
    We could stock up on Prospects that could really help us in the future and his value is peaking right now.

vCash
    **** no

vCash
    lol

vCash
    Trading Dickey would be a move that a second-rate franchise like the Pirates would pull. There's not a chance in america Alderson is trading Dickey with a team option left for another year.. NOT A PRAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEERRRR.. No team is going to give up their best prospects for a 38 year old knuckler. If we can't re-sign Dickey for 2014 and beyond, he could be a Type A if he keeps pitching the way he's going. Which A) Increases the likelyhood we can re-sign him to a decent deal.. B) Insures us some top draft picks.

Trading Dickey this offseason is beyond moronic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spicymayo View Post
    We could stock up on Prospects that could really help us in the future and his value is peaking right now.
    He's 37 / 38 years old. I agree with this and definitely see where you are coming from.

Like I said, fans are fans and will continue to be delusional. Only players who are doing poorly are trade candidates in their minds. Dickey is a hot commodity. If he wins the CY Young, the Mets really could come away with a lot. Teams will overpay for pitching. That is a given.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    He's 37 / 38 years old. I agree with this and definitely see where you are coming from.

Like I said, fans are fans and will continue to be delusional. Only players who are doing poorly are trade candidates in their minds. Dickey is a hot commodity. If he wins the CY Young, the Mets really could come away with a lot. Teams will overpay for pitching. That is a given.

Do you even know what you are saying? We ain't getting **** for Dickey in ANY trade this offseason. As if the Diamondbacks are going to gives us Trevor Bauer and Rangers give us Jurickson Profar or something... Totally asinine.
    Last edited by WrightStuff82; 06-14-2012 at 01:01 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    Do you even know what you are saying?
    For a knuckle baller, 37 / 38 years old is in the prime of their career. His arm can go until he's well into his 40's. Wakefield retired at 45 that means Dickey has roughly 6-7 good seasons left.

If this season is legit, Dickey is going to get paid. Maybe the Mets give him an extension, but if he leaves all we get back for him are draft picks. It would be the same type A situation as if Reyes left and after we would be questioning why we didn't maximize on his value.

Teams will overpay for someone doing so well. That's all I'm saying.
    Last edited by Vintage; 06-14-2012 at 01:04 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post

I totaly agree and whether i like it or not, our best chance to win is going to be in 2-3 years when our prospects start coming up. Trading him will officially label us as in rebuilding mode but could end up being a genius move.

vCash
    You guys belong in the loony bin.. The Draft pick you'd get from losing him would far exceed anything ANYBODY would trade you for Dickey. Nevermind that this team can win 90+ games next year! Trading him this winter would be the dumbest move in the history of baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WrightStuff82 View Post
    Do you even know what you are saying? We ain't getting **** for Dickey in ANY trade this offseason. As if the Diamondbacks are going to gives us Trevor Bauer and Rangers give us Jurickson Profar or something... Totally asinine.
    Why does it have to be Bauer and Profar two of the best up comers at their position in baseball. Where the hell is that coming from??? That is just you being delusional, a homer, and proving to me you have no understanding of how trades work.

The Mets can get high end guys back for Dickey and it would be a good business move. He will never replicate this kind of success. Trade him while his peak is high (Im predicting it gets even higher and better this season) and enjoy the young return.

Having 3-4 young quality guys added to the system to come up with guys like Nimmo and Cecchinni and Harvey and Wheeler and Mejia. That is how Dynasty's are built. That is how the Yankees won. That is the recipe for success.

It's a sound idea I am sure Alderson will consider and I am sure more fans will realize once all the hoop la of 10-1 isn't clouding everyone's perception of the truth.
    Last edited by Vintage; 06-14-2012 at 01:13 AM.

vCash
    Trading Johan makes much more sense because he's an older, surgically repaired 34 year old conventional pitcher having a great year. He also makes a lot more money. If the Mets can eat his salary, they'd get a really good prospect or two for him since pitching is always in demand.

Dickey needs to be a Met until he retires. He is that good, and as a knuckler, who knows how long he can go because he just seems to get better and better, learning more about his craft.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast