Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    NYY09, most UFAs that are big market guys get creative contracts. Personally I hate everyone of them, Brad Richards included. Yeah Rick Nash carries a 7.8 contact but his is a straight shot, Brad carries a 6.66 cap hit but got paid 12 million this season and next, followed by a decrease with the last 3 years being million dollar salaries. Richards contract is absurd as Kovalchuk, except Kovi is younger so hes got more big years of pay so hes got more years of low money.

I think Parise would fit in here as at the deadline Dustin Brown, but I dont think they bring us to the next level. They bring to the table what he have just alittle more scoring touch.

vCash
    Sometimes you get to hear exactly what you want...
    Averymustgo...must go

vCash
    If i was Sather i would call his agent and offer a crazy high contract for him. Not that i would want to sign him but i would want to drive up the price for the Devils. Get the highest possible cap hit for the Devils. Its evil but in the end it could help us going forward.

vCash
    commonsense, that only works if Parise hits July 1 otherwise its tampering. Everyone knows the type of salary he will command and as I think BSI said it earlier, the Rangers arent the only team with deep pockets. I assume hes in Detroit if he doesnt stay, but dont count out the Flyers, sure they need D but they can use some of their rookies to get the D if they can land him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Isca92 View Post
    NYY09, most UFAs that are big market guys get creative contracts. Personally I hate everyone of them, Brad Richards included. Yeah Rick Nash carries a 7.8 contact but his is a straight shot, Brad carries a 6.66 cap hit but got paid 12 million this season and next, followed by a decrease with the last 3 years being million dollar salaries. Richards contract is absurd as Kovalchuk, except Kovi is younger so hes got more big years of pay so hes got more years of low money.

I think Parise would fit in here as at the deadline Dustin Brown, but I dont think they bring us to the next level. They bring to the table what he have just alittle more scoring touch.
    Tbh, I dont feel one way or the other about these kovaltracts. The NHL erred with that loophole, although ya gotta think SOMEONE would have figured that about beforehand, so teams are just working within the rules, "within" being a very general term.

The interesting thing here will be the new CBA, it looks like there is plenty of give and take on both sides so a lock-out would be surprising. However, as demonstrated by the NBA, greed is the new black so we'll see.

vCash
    NYY09, I hear what your saying. The loop-hole is there and its meant for a contract like Rozi had, where each year it decreases alittle. But these are straight up exploiting of the rules. Kovi, Richards, Luongo, Pronger, Lecavlier. Richards contract goes 12m, 12m, 9m, 8.5m, 8.5m, 7m, 1, 1, 1. So in 1 years time his contract drops off 6 million dollars, thats a joke. If he wanted to come here so bad as he stated, he could have without being the highest paid player in the league last season. The Kovaltract, is the biggest joke of them all, his salary at 28 and 29 is almost half of what it is at 30, so no one got paid more then Marty, goes 6m, 6m, 11.5m.

Theres always an out for the teams that have the money to burn, gotta give them something if you expect revenue sharing. Look at Redden, he has the skill to be an NHL player but he signed got overpaid and now hes in the minors. Huet got banished to the Swiss league (i believe but Europe) on a "loan".

vCash
    NYY09, I hear what your saying. The loop-hole is there and its meant for a contract like Rozi had, where each year it decreases alittle. But these are straight up exploiting of the rules. Kovi, Richards, Luongo, Pronger, Lecavlier. Richards contract goes 12m, 12m, 9m, 8.5m, 8.5m, 7m, 1, 1, 1. So in 1 years time his contract drops off 6 million dollars, thats a joke. If he wanted to come here so bad as he stated, he could have without being the highest paid player in the league last season. The Kovaltract, is the biggest joke of them all, his salary at 28 and 29 is almost half of what it is at 30, so no one got paid more then Marty, goes 6m, 6m, 11.5m.

Theres always an out for the teams that have the money to burn, gotta give them something if you expect revenue sharing. Look at Redden, he has the skill to be an NHL player but he signed got overpaid and now hes in the minors. Huet got banished to the Swiss league (i believe but Europe) on a "loan".
    The big issue is Bettman and his "parity" desire. In any business there are the "rules" and hi-priced attorneys that know how to navigate through them, the NHL is no different. They need to figure out how to appease big markets by letting them spend a bit more keeping the smaller markets competitive. Easy breezy

vCash
    The cap helps small market teams survive, with revenue sharing. As Ranger fans we know just cause you spend the most money doesn't make you the best team. The overal talent of players has increased due to the new rules, alot less thugs, which helps for his parity issues. Top Rookies come in at 18 not in their mid 20s cause they needed their man size to not get killed. But were going way off topic here lol.

vCash
    The cap helps small market teams survive, with revenue sharing. As Ranger fans we know just cause you spend the most money doesn't make you the best team. The overal talent of players has increased due to the new rules, alot less thugs, which helps for his parity issues. Top Rookies come in at 18 not in their mid 20s cause they needed their man size to not get killed. But were going way off topic here lol.
    The changes have actually helped our team as it's forced us to have young cap friendly players on our roster. I agree with the cap, nothing worse than the same teams winning every year, it becomes boring....and yes, you are right....wayyyy off topic haha.

vCash
    Dont get me wrong guys, im not "anti-cap" by any means. I couldn't stomach the teams of the late-90's with all the mercenaries, so yes, this is a far better solution, despite some of its problems.

A type of soft cap, like the NBA has, might be an option. Let teams keep their own players who have come up through the system, kinda like Bird-rights.

I dunno, clearly I'm just speculating but it doesn't seem as if the NHL has NBA type issues to content with so lets hope there is no lock out. And yes, another tangent...

vCash
    commonsense, that only works if Parise hits July 1 otherwise its tampering. Everyone knows the type of salary he will command and as I think BSI said it earlier, the Rangers arent the only team with deep pockets. I assume hes in Detroit if he doesnt stay, but dont count out the Flyers, sure they need D but they can use some of their rookies to get the D if they can land him.
    I never said call him right this second of course you wait till the first day of free agency before you contact him. Parise IMO is waiting to hear what other teams are going to offer otherwise he would have signed with the Devs already.

His comment about not signing with the Rangers is probably him being pissed at Torts or other Rangers comments during the series with them.

I still stand on the opinion of raising the cost to any team and especially the Devs. No way he takes a crazy home town discount when you have a huge offer out there. So for instance the Rangers should offer like 10 mill a year and because he wont sign here he will try and get as close as possible to that number with another team. Worse case scenerio is he says ok and then Sather says ahh nevermind we moved on from that offer. Personally i wouldnt want him on the team after his comments but i still would raise the price for everyone else knowing he doesnt want to come here.

vCash
    Commonsense, fair enough. I think the no way comes from tired of hearing the same question over and over again. Its breakup day after losing in SCF, in the ECF a reporter twisted his fathers words to make it seem like hes been thinking of jumping the other side of the river.

I dont want him not because of the comment he made, its because he would be an upgrade but he wouldnt bring anything new to the table. Just alittle better scoring touch and I want someone who can create on their own.

vCash
    Don't count the Rangers out of the hunt for Zach Parise. I'd rather the Rangers overpay for him at $8mm/season, for example, than trade a package of assets for Nash or Ryan. Also, I rarely see it pointed out that Ryan's goal production is a direct benefit of playing with a playmaking centerman like Getzlaf and winger like Corey, who opens up big space for teammates on the ice. Last I looked, we don't have guys like Getzlaf or Perry.

Plus, adding a guy like Parise would, no doubt in my mind, improve the development and consistency of Dubinsky.

Go for it Glen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
    Don't count the Rangers out of the hunt for Zach Parise. I'd rather the Rangers overpay for him at $8mm/season, for example, than trade a package of assets for Nash or Ryan. Also, I rarely see it pointed out that Ryan's goal production is a direct benefit of playing with a playmaking centerman like Getzlaf and winger like Corey, who opens up big space for teammates on the ice. Last I looked, we don't have guys like Getzlaf or Perry.

Plus, adding a guy like Parise would, no doubt in my mind, improve the development and consistency of Dubinsky.

Go for it Glen.
    We have a playmaking center in Richards, and an up and coming playmaking center in Stepan. If Cally can score 30 in our system, then Bobby Ryan certainly can as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12