Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Great comparison. This is tough for me. Chipper is one of my favorites ever, and my 2nd favorite 3B ever (Rolen), but I have to give the slightest edge to Brett here. Brett was the better fielder and, at the end of the day, that's what I want more out of my 3B. Brett was good enough with the bat that I will try to make up what I lose with him at another position where defense is not nearly as important, like 1B or LF. Overall, Brett had the better career in terms of WAR no matter which way you slice it, and the edge in defensive play earns him the nod from me.

This is nothing for Chipper to be ashamed of. George Brett is a hell of a comparison, one which any player should be honored to have, and not expect to win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Jones murders Brett offensively (even after adjusting for the era), and Brett was the better defender by a bit throughout their careers. I'm leaning Brett, but after taking a closer look, it very well might be Chipper.

In the end, I'm leaning Brett, but my God Chipper is right there.
    It is close, but how does Chipper murder Brett offensively?

Adjusted slash:

CJ: .297/.393/.518
    GB: .313/.377/.499

That's an edge for Jones, but wait. Brett has more PA's and when you take the adjusted RC's and divide, Jones is 2.3% ahead of Brett - that's not murder that's edge. But Brett has 2040 RC's and Jones has 1796 - that's an edge as well.

At 3B alone, Brett has a +54 rTot and Jones a -13, which goes a long way to canceling out the rate advantage Jones has as of now.

Brett has as of now 4.1 more rWAR, but he played longer then Jones. That's more then Jones can make up in a year.

Not a huge difference between them, got to go with Brett for now.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    It is close, but how does Chipper murder Brett offensively?

Adjusted slash:

CJ: .297/.393/.518
    GB: .313/.377/.499

That's an edge for Jones, but wait. Brett has more PA's and when you take the adjusted RC's and divide, Jones is 2.3% ahead of Brett - that's not murder that's edge. But Brett has 2040 RC's and Jones has 1796 - that's an edge as well.

At 3B alone, Brett has a +54 rTot and Jones a -13, which goes a long way to canceling out the rate advantage Jones has as of now.

Brett has as of now 4.1 more rWAR, but he played longer then Jones. That's more then Jones can make up in a year.

Not a huge difference between them, got to go with Brett for now.
    How about this, neutralized runs created by each player offensively.

wRC
    George Brett - 1800 in 11,624 PA
    Chipper Jones - 1864 in 10,321 PA

This is league, era, and park adjusted and Chipper did pretty clearly out hit Brett.

But Brett saved about 500 more runs defensively than Jones did. Which is why the edge remains with Brett, but Jones is certainly close.

Chipper will retire with about 10,500 PA, a full 1000 behind Brett. He was certainly a better hitter than Brett, but his defense lacked more than enough behind Brett.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

wRC
    George Brett - 1800 in 11,624 PA
    Chipper Jones - 1864 in 10,321 PA

This is league, era, and park adjusted and Chipper did pretty clearly out hit Brett.
    wRC+ you mean? Yeah that's better than nRC in BR. Basically you can't go wrong with either guy, and they are mid->top tier HoF'ers, well above scraping the barrel guys.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12