Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    St. Simon's Island
    Posts
    6,642
    vCash
    1500

    Chipper Jones vs. George Brett

    Who had the better career?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    21,663
    vCash
    1500
    I think George Brett

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,796
    vCash
    1500
    George was a better fielder, and as long as you adjust for the era, Brett has him.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    39,526
    vCash
    1000
    Brett

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,761
    vCash
    1500
    George Brett
    With the deepest of regrets I am announcing that I will be leaving Pro Sports Daily. No reason in particular but wanted to thank everyone for a great 6 years here. Lots of great discussion and good poll series as well. Also fun re-drafts. Best of luck to you all in the future.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    39,526
    vCash
    1000
    This one probably isn't going to end up in Chipper's favor.

    Chipper is one of the better third basemen ever, but he is still behind Brett

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,729
    vCash
    1500
    I'm going to feel confident about my choice without even looking up George Brett's stats.
    And no poll.... George Brett.
    http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/oscar-taveras
    ~ Oscar Taveras ~ The next Phenom

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    237
    vCash
    1500
    is this some kind of sick joke?

    George Brett.
    One of the greatest baseball players EVER.
    Jones has had a really good career but he's really not even in the same class.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    39,526
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    is this some kind of sick joke?

    George Brett.
    One of the greatest baseball players EVER.
    Jones has had a really good career but he's really not even in the same class.



    Brett

    .305/.369/.487, .374 wOBA, 133 wRC+, 135 OPS+
    80.4 oWAR
    1.2 dWAR
    47.0 UZR
    84.0 rWAR
    91.6 fWAR

    11624 PA

    made 23.5 million in his career

    Jones
    .304/.402/.532, .399 wOBA, 142 wRC+, 141 OPS+
    82.5 oWAR
    dWAR -1.4
    -40.6 UZR
    80.1 rWAR
    88.7 fWAR

    10296 PA

    Made 156 million

    Anyone that is laughing at this comparison I'm guessing didn't even bother to look at their numbers in their respective careers.

    Jones murders Brett offensively (even after adjusting for the era), and Brett was the better defender by a bit throughout their careers. I'm leaning Brett, but after taking a closer look, it very well might be Chipper.


    In the end, I'm leaning Brett, but my God Chipper is right there.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,796
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Jones murders Brett offensively (even after adjusting for the era), and Brett was the better defender by a bit throughout their careers. I'm leaning Brett, but after taking a closer look, it very well might be Chipper.

    In the end, I'm leaning Brett, but my God Chipper is right there.
    It is close, but how does Chipper murder Brett offensively?

    Adjusted slash:

    CJ: .297/.393/.518
    GB: .313/.377/.499

    That's an edge for Jones, but wait. Brett has more PA's and when you take the adjusted RC's and divide, Jones is 2.3% ahead of Brett - that's not murder that's edge. But Brett has 2040 RC's and Jones has 1796 - that's an edge as well.

    At 3B alone, Brett has a +54 rTot and Jones a -13, which goes a long way to canceling out the rate advantage Jones has as of now.

    Brett has as of now 4.1 more rWAR, but he played longer then Jones. That's more then Jones can make up in a year.

    Not a huge difference between them, got to go with Brett for now.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    39,526
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    It is close, but how does Chipper murder Brett offensively?

    Adjusted slash:

    CJ: .297/.393/.518
    GB: .313/.377/.499

    That's an edge for Jones, but wait. Brett has more PA's and when you take the adjusted RC's and divide, Jones is 2.3% ahead of Brett - that's not murder that's edge. But Brett has 2040 RC's and Jones has 1796 - that's an edge as well.

    At 3B alone, Brett has a +54 rTot and Jones a -13, which goes a long way to canceling out the rate advantage Jones has as of now.

    Brett has as of now 4.1 more rWAR, but he played longer then Jones. That's more then Jones can make up in a year.

    Not a huge difference between them, got to go with Brett for now.
    How about this, neutralized runs created by each player offensively.

    wRC
    George Brett - 1800 in 11,624 PA
    Chipper Jones - 1864 in 10,321 PA

    This is league, era, and park adjusted and Chipper did pretty clearly out hit Brett.

    But Brett saved about 500 more runs defensively than Jones did. Which is why the edge remains with Brett, but Jones is certainly close.

    Chipper will retire with about 10,500 PA, a full 1000 behind Brett. He was certainly a better hitter than Brett, but his defense lacked more than enough behind Brett.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,796
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

    wRC
    George Brett - 1800 in 11,624 PA
    Chipper Jones - 1864 in 10,321 PA

    This is league, era, and park adjusted and Chipper did pretty clearly out hit Brett.
    wRC+ you mean? Yeah that's better than nRC in BR. Basically you can't go wrong with either guy, and they are mid->top tier HoF'ers, well above scraping the barrel guys.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    George Brett
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mexas
    Posts
    10,333
    vCash
    1500
    oops double post, slow internet

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mexas
    Posts
    10,333
    vCash
    1500
    Brett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •