Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How many slams will serena win?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%
  • 18-19

1 25.00%
  • 20-21

1 25.00%
  • 22-23

1 25.00%
  • 24+

1 25.00%
    vCash

How many slams will serena win?

She has 17 slams and the record is 24 (court). One milestone is 18 which both navraitilova and evert have and graff has 22. only problem is she is almost 32.

vCash
    I think in the womens game you can win slams at an older age. Navraitilova won her last at close to 34 and evert won her last at 32. while steffi won her last at 30.

so at most i see 2 more years of dominance and i dont see her winning more than 6 slams during that period. so i have her at 22-23.

vCash
    Think she wins 3 more. 2 next year and 1 the year after

vCash
    I don't know, I expected her to decline playing the jack-rabbit women's tour of today's era. Not many free points and a consistent wavering focus for her throughout her career within matches. I expected with her big frame to see knee issues but she's held up relying on her serve more for some free points. It was always been there, just rarely utilized. I think if she developed her net game to singles more, she'd have a very long career as Martina did. I don't see her catching Martina.

All that aside, I'm personally rooting against her as I've never liked her from the beginning and in her maturing years as a pro, has never really grown up and that makes her "unrootable" for me. She's so transparently predictable in her statements and wants eveyone to be wowed by her at every moment. When she wins easily (6-0, 6-0), she tends to make statements like "I can really do better" so she can see ESPN make a big deal out of that. Be professional, grow up Serena. Give your opponent credit and downplay your victories so as not to show up your opponent (fellow employee) and maybe some of us will not root against you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post
    I don't know, I expected her to decline playing the jack-rabbit women's tour of today's era. Not many free points and a consistent wavering focus for her throughout her career within matches. I expected with her big frame to see knee issues but she's held up relying on her serve more for some free points. It was always been there, just rarely utilized. I think if she developed her net game to singles more, she'd have a very long career as Martina did. I don't see her catching Martina.

All that aside, I'm personally rooting against her as I've never liked her from the beginning and in her maturing years as a pro, has never really grown up and that makes her "unrootable" for me. She's so transparently predictable in her statements and wants eveyone to be wowed by her at every moment. When she wins easily (6-0, 6-0), she tends to make statements like "I can really do better" so she can see ESPN make a big deal out of that. Be professional, grow up Serena. Give your opponent credit and downplay your victories so as not to show up your opponent (fellow employee) and maybe some of us will not root against you.
    She has 17 and Martina has 18, so I think it will be highly unlikely that she doesn't pass Martina. I never liked her too but I respect her dominance. Too bad she didn't have this focus all throughout her career or she may already have 20+ slams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    She has 17 and Martina has 18, so I think it will be highly unlikely that she doesn't pass Martina. I never liked her too but I respect her dominance. Too bad she didn't have this focus all throughout her career or she may already have 20+ slams.
    To her detriment, there have been no great women players in her era. Comparisons wiith other greats will always bring up this factor. I agree with your last statement - she should have well over 20 slams. She's generally her worst enemy as the tour is full of lousy players. I think Graf would've eaten her lunch.

vCash
    I just meant she will pass Martina in slams not the GOAT debate. However Martina played against Evert. While Steffi played Seles. however its not fair to say she had no competition. Early in her career she faced Venus and Justine Henin are they are two all time great but the last several years have been bad. However if she keeps racking up slams, its inevitable that she will be considered the GOAT.

vCash
    I voted 24+

Why not she's playing out of her mind right now, and the competition isn't really strong outside of Azarenka. She owns Sharapova so no real threat there, and in the women's game, who else is there right now? I can see Serena going on a huge run, but of course it's dependent on health.

Obviously breaking the record is a stretch, but if there's a time it can be done it's right now. If her body (and mind) hold up, she can do it.

I do think she'll go down as the GOAT, but I'm biased since I actually like her, unlike you guys

vCash
    If she was 28 or 29 i would have voted 24+. Decline can come really quickly just ask Roger. Its true I don't like her personally but I rather have her with the most slams than the players above her:

Chris Evert is annoying
    Martina has a huge ego (maybe rightfully so)
    Helen Wills Moody played in ancient years (thats a joke, i dont know if women were allowed to play tennis back then)
    Margret Court played in a weak era (looking at her Aussie open draws, it looked like no players ever travelled to australia)
    Steffi Graff is the only player i really like on the list but her slam count could be totally different if the Monica Seles incident didn't happen and it was a relatively weak era.

vCash
    she is just the lesser of the evils.

vCash
    I agree about the age concern, I think it ties in specifically with the injury concern. The comparison with Roger though, I think he'd still be one of, if not THE elite guy if not for the strong competition in the men's game right now. Serena isn't dealing with other "GOAT" potential players like Roger is/was.

vCash
    You guys are way too emotional if you're considering the best player. Try not to be like baseball hall of fame voters who care too much about likeability/morality and less about actual results.

Do you think she could have dominated those great players? How would she match up with those players? These are some of type of questions you should be assessing instead of worring about egos and such. I'd like to see your analyses of these players.
    Personally, I think she would fall to every one of them. I believe her mental makeup as I mentioned earlier, has always wavered. She tends to let most players take the 2nd set from her before snapping out of it. Sometimes she doesn't. And the greats before her almost never lost to inferior opponents as Serena consistently has. No one today comes even close to approaching her talents on the tour. IMO, there's absolutely no excuse why she shouldn't have 2-3 grand slams by now. Graf, Evert and Martina would have done so with this inferior talent pool.

vCash
    I think she would match up well against everyone except for Steffi. The players who can trouble her are the players that can match her power.