Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draft

vCash

Draft

It's going to be a big day... Gillis is supposedly planning something big and something could go down on draft day. Either involving Luongo or our #1 pick.

Who else is excited?
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash

Draft

I hope he pulls something off. We need it.

What's your source about a big move?

vCash
    Pahlsson: talked with Canucks, nothing concrete. They said they have big things in the making.
    https://twitter.com/Lindquistik/stat...85082542276609

That is the source.

Also: In a recent interview, Gillis said that a blockbuster deal is possible.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Intense...I cant wait. I'm praying this is the big offseason we are looking for as fans. Btw, I want Cody Ceci. Wishful thinking, but he is gonna be a stud.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Draft predictions anyone?

I'm thinking Martin Frk or Pontus Aberg. I'm feeling another European player this year.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    Draft predictions anyone?

I'm thinking Martin Frk or Pontus Aberg. I'm feeling another European player this year.
    WHL kid hopefully

vCash
    Hoping for Pontus Aberg or Colton Sissons

vCash

booo

vCash
    All the scouting reports are positive for the kid we drafted today.

I heard him compared to Mike Richards.

<3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    All the scouting reports are positive for the kid we drafted today.

I heard him compared to Mike Richards.
    I like the sound of him.

vCash
    Here's the province article on Gaunce:

The Canucks went for size with their first-round pick (26th overall) at the NHL Entry Draft, selecting 6-foot-2, 215-pound centre Brendan Gaunce – a player who projects as a third-line centre in the NHL.

Gaunce had 28 goals, 68 points and 68 PIMs in 68 games for Belleville in the OHL last season. He was the second overall pick in the OHL bantam draft.

In an interview with TSN minutes after the Canucks selected him, Gaunce said he was thrilled to be picked by a Canadian team.

“You always watch the draft as a kid and to go to a Canadian team is something special, said Gaunce. “To get drafted in the NHL is something special in itself, but to go on Friday (in the first round) is pretty cool.”

Canucks GM Mike Gillis said the team had targeted Gaunce, but weren’t sure he’d be available at the 26th pick.

“We were very nervous for the previous five picks before this because this was the guy we really wanted,” Gillis said in the TSN interview. “We’d watched him all season long. He has everything we were looking for – size, character and the opportunity to improve.”

Gillis said he took some calls from other asking if he would trade the pick, but he declined when it became clear that Gaunce was available.

According to various scouting reports, Gaunce is a two-way character player who’s responsible in all three zones, but needs to work on his foot speed. He’s also known as being a player who plays better the bigger and more important the game. His shot is reported to be strong and accurate, with a quick release.

TSN had Gaunce ranked 20th in the draft, while The Hockey News had him at 17th. He was ranked 13th amongst North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting.

Gaunce’s older brother Cameron, a defenceman, was selected 50th overall by Colorado in the 2008 NHL draft, but he’s still trying to break into the Avalanche lineup. Gaunce said he’s looking forward to playing against his brother in a Northwest Division matchup.

“It’s lucky to have my brother already in the Colorado organization and for me to be drafted by Vancouver is a dream,” said Gaunce.
    http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/06...-26th-overall/

With Kesler breaking down, and Henrik not getting any younger, it's not a bad idea to stock up on C's. He and Schroeder could anchor our lineup...

<3

vCash
    Here's the Van Sun:

PITTSBURGH — Taking the jersey of one of the greatest grit players in franchise history and bestowing on one they hope possesses similar character, the Vancouver Canucks drafted Belleville Bulls centre Brendan Gaunce with their first pick in the National Hockey League draft Friday night.

A powerful, 215-pound two-way centre, Gaunce had 68 points and 68 penalty minutes in 68 games for his Ontario Hockey League team this season. He was given a No. 12 jersey, worn by Stan Smyl until it was retired in 1991.

Canucks assistant general manager Laurence Gilman announced the draft selection and acknowledged Smyl's 34-year contribution to the organization as a player, coach and manager. Smyl remains a special advisor in the management team.

“He truly embodies the heart of a Canuck,” Gilman said of Smyl.

The team, which has an organizational need for both toughness and centres, can only hope Gaunce will do the same.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/V...#ixzz1yaOY2pHP

<3

vCash
    In 3-4 years we'll see a Kassian - Gaunce - Jensen 2nd line.

<3

vCash
    I am not upset with Gaunce, But with Aberg, Frk, Finn, Matteau, and some others on the board, we could have done better. Gaunce will be fine though. Another two way guy added to the club. Cant argue with our love of two way players.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Gillis called the pick a slam dunk.

<3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast