Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by d79cheese View Post
    ^ the typical Dodger fan response...a one word/acronym response to something intelligent posted
    Go whine about Lincecum.
    Quote Originally Posted by yojoe792 View Post
    This is a typical Dodgers move. Re-sign their homegrown talent not while they are up and coming, but right at their peak. Note: Matt Kemp, now Ethier, and soon to be Clayton Kershaw.

Kershaw's what 24? Also we traded for Andre if I recall, so it's not like we could have signed him when he was in his mid 20's.

vCash
    He wouldve got a little more had he hit FA. Im happy with this deal.

vCash
    yea dont know how u guys can say its too much... worse players have been more overpaid. ethier is a fan fav and will sell merchandise, and hes also been solid since hes been a dodger. last year excluded due to injuries. ethier/kemp is as good a hitting duo u will find in baseball

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreenFan View Post
    yea dont know how u guys can say its too much... worse players have been more overpaid. ethier is a fan fav and will sell merchandise, and hes also been solid since hes been a dodger. last year excluded due to injuries. ethier/kemp is as good a hitting duo u will find in baseball
    So because others are over paid it makes it ok?

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ugadawgsfan17 View Post
    Explain. The gamble you take in procuring a better bang for the buck signing is a huge one. You let Ethier go and come up empty in FA and you're hamstrung in a city that absolutely demands contention from here forward.
    If you walked into free agency each year from 2013-2017, I bet you could find a 3 WAR RFer each season with 17 million bucks. Wouldn't be that hard to find somebody that can produce that level of production each year.

Could have had Beltran this year, DeJesus, Willingham, etc.

You could walk into free agency each year and spend that 17 million and get that production and not be stuck with one player that you are forced to stick with regardless of decline/production.

Every year there are several outfielders that you could sign on one or two year deals that would get you that 3 WAR in RF for 17 million. It is by no means a stretch to get that each off-season.

That, and the fans can demand whatever they want, as a front office exec handing out this deal. Your job is to know better than what the fans want, and provide a long term solution for the team to compete in the long term, not today or tomorrow, but for the long term.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by d79cheese View Post
    ^ the typical Dodger fan response...a one word/acronym response to something intelligent posted
    Not 'typical' at all. I never do that. Ever.

I just don't care right now. We can afford it. It's not a crazy 10 year contract and we aren't going to be handicapped like a small market would.

We paid the price to keep our second best hitter and it's a good thing no matter how you slice it.

We paid what we needed to keep Kemp because we NEED him.
    We are paying what we need to keep Ethier because we need him. We aren't a deep team at all. If we're gonna be top heavy we need to keep half of that weight. The FA market is THIN next season. We need to add, not subtract. Keeping Ethier is a start to improving.

It doesn't kill us for future deals, it is in no way a ridiculous contract, and we needed to keep him around.

Simple as that, really. More $ than Dre is worth? Sure. But that's what it took to keep him.
    Lakers, Dodgers, Kings
    Bring Back the Los Angeles Rams

vCash
    Dodger fans need to be less defensive lol.

To the contract, we're the Yankees West now, it's probably a few million a year too much, but I don't care, I'd much rather keep him than not keep him.

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Then-Most View Post
    So because others are over paid it makes it ok?
    umm... no. point was if he did hit free agency some other team would have probably overpaid to get him from us. also the fact he will make his money back in merchandise and ticket sales makes it ok. oh yea, also the fact hes 2nd in rbis behind hamilton and has been clutch for the dodgers in years past makes it worth it imo.

vCash
    The only thing 'typical' on this site it the use of facepalms, "You mad?" "Hater" etc. Tired expressions.
    Lakers, Dodgers, Kings

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgerbluemmm24 View Post

Kershaw's what 24? Also we traded for Andre if I recall, so it's not like we could have signed him when he was in his mid 20's.
    What? You have had Ethier his entire big league career, and he came up with you when he was 24. He is just now reaching free agency, but you could have locked him years ago if they wanted to save some money today.

But yes, you traded for him.....6.5 years ago for Milton Bradley

vCash
    There is a concept that is overlooked. That's what it took to keep him. That was the $ it was gonna take. The Dodgers decided it was worth it to keep Andre around.
    Lakers, Dodgers, Kings

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreenFan View Post
    You might want to know that all merchandise in baseball is split among all 30 teams evenly. The Dodgers make as much money on an Andre Ethier jersey selling as they do when an A-Rod jersey sells in New York. It's all split evenly.

vCash
    And to Jeffy's WAR post, WAR is misleading because of his past defensive ratings. He's more comparable to Pence and Hart than Willingham or DeJesus.

And to the "He can only hit RHP" comment, why does that take away from him? He's a premier bat vs RHP, he's not vs LHP. Overall his numbers still end up the same.

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VRP723 View Post
    Dodger fans need to be less defensive lol.

To the contract, we're the Yankees West now, it's probably a few million a year too much, but I don't care, I'd much rather keep him than not keep him.
    As long as that is the viewpoint, than I would say I can agree with a Dodgers fan in that sense

I think a competent GM could have done better by letting him go and getting someone else for next year and saving the money. But I don't know that saving the money would really matter to the Dodgers based on their new financial situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VRP723 View Post
    And to Jeffy's WAR post, WAR is misleading because of his past defensive ratings. He's more comparable to Pence and Hart than Willingham or DeJesus.

And to the "He can only hit RHP" comment, why does that take away from him? He's a premier bat vs RHP, he's not vs LHP. Overall his numbers still end up the same.
    Sure. But imagine what his numbers would look like if he was platooned with a comparable hitter against lefties? Of course, he would be a 75% of the time player, but his production would be a lot greater rate wise, and he would make less outs.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast