Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 142
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,508
    vCash
    1500

    Raising the Minimum Wage to $10/hr

    There are some House Democrats who are pushing to raise the minimum wage from $7.25 to $10.00.

    I know there are many who will oppose this but I think that it should be raised and at least indexed to inflation. The fact of the matter is that we are leaving behind the poorest among us by allowing what the minimum wage use to buy erode day after day.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    15,331
    vCash
    1500
    I think raising the minimum wage that much right now would be a terrible idea, but I do think they need to adjust it yearly for inflation.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    14,844
    vCash
    1500
    Raising the minimum wage kills jobs.

    If we had no minimum wage we could create a lot more jobs.
    Son, you just don't get it, i'm talking bout TWTW!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    25,683
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by whitesoxfan83 View Post
    Raising the minimum wage kills jobs.

    If we had no minimum wage we could create a lot more jobs.
    Sure but alot of jobs with people who won't be able to live on them

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,705
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    There are some House Democrats who are pushing to raise the minimum wage from $7.25 to $10.00.

    I know there are many who will oppose this but I think that it should be raised and at least indexed to inflation. The fact of the matter is that we are leaving behind the poorest among us by allowing what the minimum wage use to buy erode day after day.
    First and foremost minimum wage is not meant to lived on. It is there to keep the non skilled jobs (think food service industry like fast food) from paying 2 bucks an hour. Though to be honest I disagree with minimum wage and think if it was done away with you would see the unemployment rate of teenagers drop dramatically. Paying someone standing at the counter at McDonalds $10 an hour is going to do nothing more than cut the amount of employees hired.

    Leaving the poorest among us behind will never be fixed by making employers pay more on the low end. It will be solved when the poorest among us acquire the tools and skills to get jobs that pay better than minimum wage giving those jobs back to the teenagers who are meant to have them. I know there are tons of job training available here in Indianapolis where people can obtain certificates through training at the local community colleges. It is a matter of these people understanding what help is out there for them and taking advantage of it.

    Just simply raising the level of minimum wage is a typical short sighted solution the government is famous for. Time after time they cut off their nose just to spite their face and this would be another example of it. There would be a dramatic reduction of minimum wage jobs if this ever came to pass (would be an interesting study to show the correlation between raises of minimum wage and losses of such jobs). Just because the government says pay no less than X amount doesn't automatically give employers a bigger amount of money to spend on payroll. Causing them to lay off employees pushing more work on those that are left.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,705
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    Sure but alot of jobs with people who won't be able to live on them
    Simple answer minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,907
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiercubsfan View Post
    Simple answer minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage.
    so the closer it gets to being a living wage, isn't that better? Isn't it wierd that people have to have multiple jobs in order to just survive?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,705
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    so the closer it gets to being a living wage, isn't that better? Isn't it wierd that people have to have multiple jobs in order to just survive?
    For those that get to keep their job sure. But what about the people who are laid off to keep the payroll at the same level? Again just because you raise the minimum wage doesn't mean people paying the minimum wage are simply going to just raise their payroll. So do you prefer giving a few a wage closer to a living wage at the expense of letting others go with no wage at all or leaving it as is with more having some sort of wage?

    No its not weird that it takes multiple minimum wage jobs to survive. Again it was never meant to be a living wage. As a nation we need to do a better job of training those students in high school that are not college material a skill and stop promoting the false premise that everyone should go to college. That would be a far better use of resources than simply raising an artificial floor with regards to wages.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    40,047
    vCash
    1500
    why stop at 10, why not 15 or 25 heck make everything better for everyone and go to 50 bucks an hour. It's a pretty simple way to end all poverty isn't it?


    Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,508
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    why stop at 10, why not 15 or 25 heck make everything better for everyone and go to 50 bucks an hour. It's a pretty simple way to end all poverty isn't it?
    I think bringing the minimum wage up to the inflation adjusted rate from when it was last raised is not even close to attempting to make it a living wage.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,176
    vCash
    500
    I can just see it now minimum wage at $10 an hour and gas costing $6.00 a gallon.... I'm all for the lower class but this would be counter-productive. All this would accomplish would be (1) smaller companies either being forced to cut jobs or struggle to survive (2) companies to raise prices across the board and how does that help the people making $10.25+ an hour who have to pay more but don't get an increase in pay(3) causing more companies to outsource jobs (4) unions to rally for equal pay raises in their profession (5) employers no longer giving raises or incentives because they feel they are already overpaying some employees... which in turns leads to less incentive to work.

    You have no idea how many companies are already pissed about having to pay $7.25 to people at fast food jobs and others of that nature.

    This country was better off in the 1960s than it is today. One person could hold a job and support their family while saving money in the bank. The average family with just one working adult had more money than the average family today with 2 working adults. It has nothing to do with minimum wage.... The cost of living has gone through the roof. In the 1960s you could get a dental crown for 25-50 cents while today you are looking at $75-100 just for the visit and at least $400-500 for the cap (on the cheap end). That is what at least 1,200 times the cost of what it was 50 years ago? I'm fairly certain that wages haven't gone up 1,200 times....

    It has been proven that every time the minimum wage has gone up so has unemployment especially in teens and minorities.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,508
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    I can just see it now minimum wage at $10 an hour and gas costing $6.00 a gallon.... I'm all for the lower class but this would be counter-productive. All this would accomplish would be (1) smaller companies either being forced to cut jobs or struggle to survive (2) companies to raise prices across the board and how does that help the people making $10.25+ an hour who have to pay more but don't get an increase in pay(3) causing more companies to outsource jobs (4) unions to rally for equal pay raises in their profession (5) employers no longer giving raises or incentives because they feel they are already overpaying some employees... which in turns leads to less incentive to work.

    You have no idea how many companies are already pissed about having to pay $7.25 to people at fast food jobs and others of that nature.

    This country was better off in the 1960s than it is today. One person could hold a job and support their family while saving money in the bank. The average family with just one working adult had more money than the average family today with 2 working adults. It has nothing to do with minimum wage.... The cost of living has gone through the roof. In the 1960s you could get a dental crown for 25-50 cents while today you are looking at $75-100 just for the visit and at least $400-500 for the cap (on the cheap end). That is what at least 1,200 times the cost of what it was 50 years ago? I'm fairly certain that wages haven't gone up 1,200 times....

    It has been proven that every time the minimum wage has gone up so has unemployment especially in teens and minorities.
    Gas prices have nothing to do with the minimum wage so I don't see how that is at all relevant. The producers of oil do not hire minimum wage employees for that production and because the price of gas almost entirely depends on the fluctuations in cost before it ever becomes gasoline there is no impact.

    The goal of the minimum wage is not to create a living wage so the argument about "well what about XX.XX" doesn't apply. The goal of the government and minimum wage should never be to force all companies to pay the "living wage". It is about creating a reasonable ceiling so the marginal employee can't have their wages slashed repeatedly. The argument about it raising prices ignores the fact that those people also have more to spend.

    Many of the arguments you have made would still happen if we had no minimum wage. Americans, with or without the minimum wage, would not work under the conditions that Chinese workers or illegal immigrants do. That is simply a fact. You could offer Americans those jobs for the same pay and hours and they would not take them. The perfect case study for this was in Alabama after they enforced their immigration policy that they recently passed. Companies tried to hire employees that were American citizens for any wages and they lost out on $1B in productivity. Even when they were offering two to three times minimum wage people were not taking the jobs.

    To your last point the "nostalgia effect", claiming that things were so much better in Time X. Well some things may have been better. But the fact of the matter is that the average median salary (adjusted for inflation) is higher today than it was back in the 1960s. The vast majority of things that have gained more price are things that require higher education levels to obtain.

    According to a website I found, a pound of bananas cost 11 cents in 1947 and the same pound at my local grocery store costs 49 cents. That is a growth of four times. Much less than your crown example. The reason is because the education has become more expensive. Not because of some massive government scheme gone awry. But from the simple fact that there are more people who want dental work and are able to afford dental work. The demand for dental work has gone up drastically. It was seen as something for the ultra wealthy before but now considered quite routine. These things may have gone up in price but many new people have also been brought into the fold of being able to afford them. The minimum wage has played a large part in building the middle class that has achieved this new level of moderate prosperity.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    15,331
    vCash
    1500
    Although like I mentioned earlier in this thread that raising the minimum wage to $10 an hour right now would be stupid, removing the minimum wage would be just about the worst thing you could possibly do for the economy as far as I'm concerned. Every current minimum wage job would be filled by teenagers who live with their parents and can accept $2-4 an hour, and even work for free in some cases. It's just unbelievable to me that some people think removing the minimum wage would not be a terrible idea.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,705
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Although like I mentioned earlier in this thread that raising the minimum wage to $10 an hour right now would be stupid, removing the minimum wage would be just about the worst thing you could possibly do for the economy as far as I'm concerned. Every current minimum wage job would be filled by teenagers who live with their parents and can accept $2-4 an hour, and even work for free in some cases. It's just unbelievable to me that some people think removing the minimum wage would not be a terrible idea.
    How could it be the worst thing you could possibly do? First in order for your premise to be correct you would have to be able to find people to work for free or $2-$4 an hour which would NEVER happen. It would work just like every other job where you negotiate for your salary. So the businesses who have minimum wage jobs would have to pay whatever the going market rate was for such workers. If someone was willing to flip burgers for $5 bucks an hour then they should be able to do so.

    Minimum wage jobs are jobs for people who have no skill therefore no reason to be paid very well. This then in my opinion should be made up by a majority of teenagers living with their parents. I do not think it would be terrible to do away with the minimum wage and think it would actually add jobs allowing employers to pay again market prices not some artificial floor.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    37,245
    vCash
    1000
    Minimum wage is $10 in B.C, Canada now

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •