Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Is Saban afraid of Chip Kelly's style of offense

I don't think he's afraid in the sense of he's scared to play Oregon, Ohio state, a lot of the big 12 use. It's that he can't control things like getting his players in and that annoys him

Saban is just being pissy because he can't get the exact players he wants on the field every down. Injury isn't anymore prevalent. He's just frustrated by it. I mean is he not gonna use no huddle if he needs a quick score before the half? It's a different style that frustrates him. He'll move on. But the hurry up is a fine form of football. It has its advantages and disadvantages just like what Alabama does. But there should absolutely be no changes to how fast you can go on offense

Exactly. Nick Saban is 110% a complete control freak in every aspect. The hurry-up offense takes away his ability to rotate players and get properly set. Which is the reason teams are running the hurry-up offense.... A team like Alabama that has better players on their bench than 90% of teams do on their starting lineup wants to be able to constantly rotate players with that deep roster.

Also I think you need to point out the last two times that Oregon has played a high level SEC defense.... They lost to LSU and Auburn in games where they scored a combined 46 points (22 of those in the 4th quarter when trailing).
    Last edited by steelcityroller; 10-05-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Marcus Mariota

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Exactly. Nick Saban is 110% a complete control freak in every aspect. The hurry-up offense takes away his ability to rotate players and get properly set. Which is the reason teams are running the hurry-up offense.... A team like Alabama that has better players on their bench than 90% of teams do on their starting lineup wants to be able to constantly rotate players with that deep roster.

Also I think you need to point out the last two times that Oregon has played a high level SEC defense.... They lost to LSU and Auburn in games where they scored a combined 46 points (22 of those in the 4th quarter when trailing).
    The Auburn game was an awful gameplan (look at our passing stats once we stopped trying to force it), and LSU shut down almost every offense. Also, if you look at Oregon in the last 4-5 games of the National Championship game run, you will see that the offense was not firing on all cylinders anyway.

At the same time, I think you are right to say that it is a control freak issue. I don't think Saban is "scared" of the hurry-up offense, but it probably annoys him.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

After the comments by Saban, wouldn't it be ironic to have Alabama and Oregon in the BCS Championship game this year? Could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    To be fair the 27 points Oregon scored against LSU that year was the most any team scored against them. And that was with D'Anthony Thomas having 2 Turnovers that literally put LSU in prime scoring position.

The idea that the Ducks can't hang with the SEC is ridiculous. They played Auburn to the closest NC game since the SEC started its streak of wins.

And when they played Tennessee they drubbed them 48-13, so it's not like it's all the SEC, it just happens to be 2 teams that played or won the National Championship, so clearly the absolute best of the best, and played them as well as any teams did in those years (except for Alabama to LSU)...
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    After the comments by Saban, wouldn't it be ironic to have Alabama and Oregon in the BCS Championship game this year? Could happen.
    Yes it could but as an Oregon fan I'd be wary of having a Freshman QB go against that defense.

It's funny really, this was expected to be a rebuilding year for the Ducks and we are in the drivers seat for a shot at the National Championship.
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    wow ya think? way to go out on a limb there big guy...