Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The Rangers need a new assistant coach to set up a good powerplay. We have the players already to have a great powerplay. Girardi had a great playoffs in terms of points, and there's nothing wrong with DelZotto or Richards on the point. Our PP stands there waiting for the other team to overcommit and then take their chance. They don't move, the players on the point stand still and never rotate or walk the line, and the most glaring issue is the fact that we have probably the best guy in the league for a net pressence in Boyle with his size and hands yet we never use him there. Weber can shoot, but if nobody gets in front of the net the result will be the same. Keep in mind, Richards always played the point on the pp with other teams and his shot was used as well as Webers. We need movement and net pressence, I think we already have the players, a PP with Gaborik, Stepan/Callahan/Dubinsky/Kreider, Boyle, Richards and DelZotto should be plenty good, it's all in how it's put together. McCabe had the same struggles here, and he made a career out of his powerplay shot.

vCash
    We need MAJOR PP help, so Sully needs to go, as stated by the poster above me.

We also need offense, which is strange considering on paper, we should be scoring goals like no other. I call for Zach Parise.
    METS
    RANGERS
    JETS
    KNICKS

CHELSEA- CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE!!

vCash
    Bsi, I agree that the players dont move enough on the pp but I see 2 major problems with the pp. First their is no right handed player that can shoot off the pass and every team knows that so when the puck goes to the left side, the shot isnt coming off the pass. By the time its settled the goalie and pk have set up.

They also have no one besides Richards who skates the puck over the blue line. They dump the puck in and lose it. They win the puck battle and throw a bad pass and the puck goes out of the zone. They win the battle throw a pass in the players skates the player and the defending player steps up to that player and takes the puck away. Basicaly they spend 30 seconds of any given pp set up in the zone. Once they set up they are decent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Isca92 View Post
    Bsi, I agree that the players dont move enough on the pp but I see 2 major problems with the pp. First their is no right handed player that can shoot off the pass and every team knows that so when the puck goes to the left side, the shot isnt coming off the pass. By the time its settled the goalie and pk have set up.

They also have no one besides Richards who skates the puck over the blue line. They dump the puck in and lose it. They win the puck battle and throw a bad pass and the puck goes out of the zone. They win the battle throw a pass in the players skates the player and the defending player steps up to that player and takes the puck away. Basicaly they spend 30 seconds of any given pp set up in the zone. Once they set up they are decent.

Agree fully with your entire statement. Our PP was a complete joke, I really hated to watch it just got up and down the ice.

vCash

I don't think the right shot D is totally the problem, we had Stepan back there for a bit and that never really helped, Girardi is a right handed shot and he was our best point producer and 3rd in the playoffs from the D, there should be no reason he can't play on the right side on the PP. I think it's more a problem of the system that is in place, and our insistance of standing around, relying totally on the forecheck to set up in the offensive end and having nobody in front of the net. The goalies are too good these days, both at stopping the puck and playing it on the dump. Brodeur killed us because we kept doing the same thing over and over and over again and he kept stopping the puck and making a breakout pass and if a goalie these days sees the puck from a point shot, he's gonna stop it.
    Last edited by bsi; 06-13-2012 at 05:33 PM.

vCash
    BSI, even a right handed forward, cally is always at the net and he scores from there so no reason to move him from there. But a right handed shot forward or dman that is going to take one timers. One of the reasons i want Ryan slightly over Nash, Ryans pp numbers are awful cause he plays second line for Ducks.

I agree with you in theory about not relying on the forecheck to create, but only certain players are aloud to stick handle over the line if its not an odd man rush. So something has to give there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    The Rangers need a new assistant coach to set up a good powerplay. We have the players already to have a great powerplay. Girardi had a great playoffs in terms of points, and there's nothing wrong with DelZotto or Richards on the point. Our PP stands there waiting for the other team to overcommit and then take their chance. They don't move, the players on the point stand still and never rotate or walk the line, and the most glaring issue is the fact that we have probably the best guy in the league for a net pressence in Boyle with his size and hands yet we never use him there. Weber can shoot, but if nobody gets in front of the net the result will be the same. Keep in mind, Richards always played the point on the pp with other teams and his shot was used as well as Webers. We need movement and net pressence, I think we already have the players, a PP with Gaborik, Stepan/Callahan/Dubinsky/Kreider, Boyle, Richards and DelZotto should be plenty good, it's all in how it's put together. McCabe had the same struggles here, and he made a career out of his powerplay shot.
    Power plays with guys like Weber and Garrison (two teams without talented forwards), Chara, Doughty and Letang (three teams with talented forwards) are all much better than the Rangers' PP with mediocre shots from the blueline. It's not just their ability to put the puck in the net from that distance, it's the threat that creates more chances down low. The Rangers have no such visible threat, although McD could be that guy (he was during the first 10-20 games of the season, but in explicably stopped developing that part of his game). And McCabe's career was already over when he joined the Rangers; unfortunately, as in the case of Kotalik and Redden, Sather didn't realize it at the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dashripdot View Post
    Power plays with guys like Weber and Garrison (two teams without talented forwards), Chara, Doughty and Letang (three teams with talented forwards) are all much better than the Rangers' PP with mediocre shots from the blueline. It's not just their ability to put the puck in the net from that distance, it's the threat that creates more chances down low. The Rangers have no such visible threat, although McD could be that guy (he was during the first 10-20 games of the season, but in explicably stopped developing that part of his game). And McCabe's career was already over when he joined the Rangers; unfortunately, as in the case of Kotalik and Redden, Sather didn't realize it at the time.
    Nobody is in front of the net, someone could shoot the puck with a potato gun from the point, but if the goalie is seeing it, he's stopping it. Richards is that point shot, he's been that guy all his career, he won a cup and a conn smythe with that point shot. We need traffic, the goalies are too good these days. Think about it, how many shots from outside the hash marks go in without the PP? There's hardly any. The only reason most teams score on the PP is because they use that extra man to take away the goalie's vision and focus, we don't do that. If the coaches don't plant someone there the powerplay will continue to suffer no matter who's shooting.
    Here's a highlight reel from when Richards was in Dallas, you'll notice how his shot is key to their PP.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiZOlEaC4VA

vCash
    In no way do I support the coaching of the Rangers' PP, but shots that go directly (or with a slight deflection) into the net from the point are few, whether on the PP or at even strength. Sure, one use of the extra skater on the PP is as a screen, but far more shots are put into the goal on rebounds picked up around the net. A skater providing a screen can get some tip-ins by re-directing the point shot or obstruct the goalie's vision, but since he's not usually facing the goal when providing the screen, he's generally not in position to put in a rebound. A hard shot that doesn't go in but produces a rebound has a greater chance of finding the open skater (facing the goal, stick on the ice) and resulting in a goal. The floaters that the Rangers (particularly Staal, who also telegraphs his shot by taking way too long to get it off, Girardi and Stepan when used there on the PP) are easily handled by the goalie without a chance of giving up a rebound. A hard shot has a much better chance of resulting in a useful rebound for the extra skater on the man advantage. With no threat from the point, the PKers tend to sag back and take away the high slot, another area that the Rangers fail to exploit on the PP and at even strength.

vCash
    Bsi, yeah he won a conn smythe and cup with that shot but look at the scoring power he had along with him, Vinny, Marty, and Boyle all played the pp with him. He also had more game winning goals that year then goals this year.

The pp needs to soend more time in the zone, regardless of whos on it. When a left handed player is playing the left side it is easier to defend cross ice passing. The best chances for any team start with the puck low to high across and shot off the pass gives d no time to set up, if the shot doesnt go in theirs a good rebound chance.

vCash
    Bsi, yeah he won a conn smythe and cup with that shot but look at the scoring power he had along with him, Vinny, Marty, and Boyle all played the pp with him. He also had more game winning goals that year then goals this year.

The pp needs to soend more time in the zone, regardless of whos on it. When a left handed player is playing the left side it is easier to defend cross ice passing. The best chances for any team start with the puck low to high across and shot off the pass gives d no time to set up, if the shot doesnt go in theirs a good rebound chance.
    He didn't have all those guys in Dallas and he was key to their powerplay on the point. His shot from the point was lethal there too, and it was all because of net pressence. Just watch that clip I posted before and you'll see Richards blasting it from the point with a screen in front in a Dallas jersey multiple times.
    Last edited by bsi; 06-14-2012 at 05:10 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dashripdot View Post
    In no way do I support the coaching of the Rangers' PP, but shots that go directly (or with a slight deflection) into the net from the point are few, whether on the PP or at even strength. Sure, one use of the extra skater on the PP is as a screen, but far more shots are put into the goal on rebounds picked up around the net. A skater providing a screen can get some tip-ins by re-directing the point shot or obstruct the goalie's vision, but since he's not usually facing the goal when providing the screen, he's generally not in position to put in a rebound. A hard shot that doesn't go in but produces a rebound has a greater chance of finding the open skater (facing the goal, stick on the ice) and resulting in a goal. The floaters that the Rangers (particularly Staal, who also telegraphs his shot by taking way too long to get it off, Girardi and Stepan when used there on the PP) are easily handled by the goalie without a chance of giving up a rebound. A hard shot has a much better chance of resulting in a useful rebound for the extra skater on the man advantage. With no threat from the point, the PKers tend to sag back and take away the high slot, another area that the Rangers fail to exploit on the PP and at even strength.

If the goalie sees it, he'll save it or control the rebound.

vCash
    Bsi, Ill give you they need more net pressence but thats where our pp goal leader came from in Cally. Dallas also had more guys who could skate to the puck into the zone in Ribero (might be spelled wrong) and Jamie Benn. Those guys could get the puck in the zone and allow them to set up. I still think the biggest thing the pp is missing is more time in the zone set up.

vCash
    Bsi, Ill give you they need more net pressence but thats where our pp goal leader came from in Cally. Dallas also had more guys who could skate to the puck into the zone in Ribero (might be spelled wrong) and Jamie Benn. Those guys could get the puck in the zone and allow them to set up. I still think the biggest thing the pp is missing is more time in the zone set up.
    Cally is good at picking up lose pucks, but he's not really one for being in front screening the goalie. Jamie Benn was their screen, and was the reason Richards shot was so effective.

vCash
    Didnt Benn play the off wing for the one timer?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast