Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Pens trade for Vokoun

The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired the rights to veteran goaltender Tomas Vokoun from the Washington Capitals in exchange for their seventh-round selection in the upcoming 2012 NHL Draft.

Vokoun had to waive a no-movement clause in order for the trade to happen. He becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1.

Vokoun, who turns 36 on July 2, was seen by some as the missing piece to the puzzle when he signed a one-year contract with the Capitals last summer. He went 25-17-2 with a 2.51 goals-against average and .917 save percentage while splitting time with incumbent Michal Neuvirth.

Vokoun didn't play in a game after March 29 due to a serious groin injury, and Neuvirth's own injury woes led to rookie Braden Holtby assuming the No. 1 job for the Capitals late in the season and throughout the Stanley Cup Playoffs, where they ousted the defending champion Bruins in seven games before losing to the Rangers in another seven-game series.

If the Penguins are able to sign Vokoun, he could ease some of the workload on Marc-Andre Fleury, who tied his career high by appearing in 67 games last season. Fleury won 42 games in the regular season but struggled in a first-round loss to the Flyers, with a 4.63 GAA and .834 save percentage.

Vokoun has 287 career wins along with a 2.55 GAA and .917 save percentage in 680 career games for the Canadiens, Predators, Panthers and Capitals.
    story from nhl.com and pens text service says Vokoun has signed a 2 year deal worth 2 million/yr

vCash
    Great move for the Pens

vCash
    Sweet on so many levels. This could be one of the best deals that shero has made, behind the neal and guerin deals

vCash
    I think it is a good move. What happens now with Johnson and Theissen

vCash
    If his groin is better then this will be super good for the Pens. The groin injury scares me a little bit only because after a serious groin injury it doesnt take much to re-injure it again. But if its all healed up and signs for a good contract then its a great deal.

vCash
    Very solid deal on Shero's part. A seventh rounder is basically nothing and seeing how poorly Fleury played in the playoffs, most likely from fatigue (hopefully), Vokoun should be able to handle a decent amount of starts.

The only thing negative about Vokoun is his contract. I believe his 2M is roughly 3x what we were paying Johnson. Still, very solid move

vCash
    I like the move like Tomahawk says it is a but on the high side for a back up goalie but if the cap really does go up to what is being thrown about that shouldn't be an issue. I actually wouldn't mind seeing him start like 25-30 games next year.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Great move. A veteran with the resume Vokoun has should not only be great to have on nights when Fleury sits but should also help Fleury sharped up his game. Vokoun has been around the block and has always been a very good goaltender and I would imagine he would have some good advice for Fleury. I also like this because I think it should let Fleury know that while we have a great deal of confidence in him, we can't afford to have him play the way he has in the playoffs the past few years. If we don't get a more consistent Fleury then Vokoun will be ready if we call on him. I think we may have the best goaltending duo in the NHL now.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer