Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MLB could expand instant replay

http://www.businessinsider.com/mlb-i...#ixzz1x3Um9wdN
    http://www.businessinsider.com/mlb-e...#ixzz1x3Tbj8dc

Much of Selig's reticence has to do with his romantic attachment to old-time baseball which, you know, didn't have one wild card (or two), an All-Star game that "counted" and interleague play. There's the financial factor, too. A football source said the NFL spends about $4 million a year on instant replay. With almost 10 times as many games, new equipment and a fifth umpire with each crew to monitor the replay booth, MLB's annual costs could go well into eight figures.

A group of umpires will watch games from a central location
    On plays that are "clearly wrong" the group would then signal the umpires at the game and let them know there is an obvious call that needs to be changed
    MLB hopes to implement an introductory version of the system in 2013
    The initial system would only review home runs, whether a ball is fair or foul, and whether or not a player caught a ball
    The system would then be expanded "after a year or so" once the system is optimized
    At that point, the system would be expanded "to all sorts of calls." However, Stark says exactly what would be included would have to be negotiated

Finally

computerized strike zone and no umpires

It wont make my head explode (from the first article). MLB is run by the biggest bunch of conservatives on the planet. I wont believe that more instant replay will come MLB til I see it.
    Quarterback Class of 2004 1st Round starters

They should have 1 challenge for each team a game for whether a player is safe on base or not.

They obviously need to.

But I don't want it to be like in the NFL.

Just a booth umpire that views the game on video, and via headset, lets the crew chief know if a call was blown. Fair/foul, out/safe, home run/not home run.

That's it. Nothing else, nothing else debated. Fast, easy, accurate, simple.

Quote Originally Posted by utl768 View Post
    computerized strike zone and no umpires
    thats where we are heading
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals 21) Reds

lets see how much you guys like this when they allow to challenge balls and strikes. this is stupid

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals 21) Reds

Where does the batter go when someone hits the ball down the line fair but it was called foul by the on field ump? Does he get a single, a double or a triple?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucis View Post
    Parity is about equality of opportunity, not equality of results.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    thats where we are heading
    Nada - Zilch - Niema - Na-Nieviem - No way Jose.... not gonna' happen

Some of MLB's traditions will never go away.

Quote Originally Posted by MotownWebGuy View Post
    Nada - Zilch - Niema - Na-Nieviem - No way Jose.... not gonna' happen

Some of MLB's traditions will never go away.
    slippery slope. once one thing changes, enough complaints for something can make it happen. they already have the quest-tech thing, not that hard of a change

I used to not want it, but I feel like MLB is being looked at under a microscope because we have the most minimal replay of any of the major sports. It also doesn;t help that umpires seem to have been blowing a lot of calls in the past 5 years. I rarely complained before then because I felt the umps did a great job, but I don't know if that is the case anymore.

I am leaning on the fence about the computerized strike zone. On one hand, it would make the playing field equal and you wouldn't have umps with ridiculously small or large strike zones.

On the other hand, it would completely take the human element out of the game.

So I don't know.

I'm totally in favor of the centralized command center like in hockey. The calls will be much quicker as opposed to the umpires running to the video monitor and making a decision.

Hopefully we will never see computerized strike zonees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast