Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who Do You Think Was The Biggest Steal Of The 2012 MLB Draft?

I don't know about you but I love to see which player falls the most, or which team gets the most value for the pick they had.

Even though these players are still light-years away from the majors its fun to speculate how that players career will be based on his Body Build, "scouting reports", and mock drafts.

Which players in the 2012 draft where you surprised fell the most?

I'll have to go with these three players:

Mark Appel to the Pirates because team's did not want to commit 90%-95%of their full draft day budget to just one player. Pirates took a huge risk to sign arguably the best pitcher in this draft class at eight overall.

Ty Hensley to the Yankees. Most MLB draft analyses had him going much higher, and Jon Heyman of CBS said Colorodo was ready to draft him at 10. Drafting a #10 player at 30? Not bad if you ask me.

(Baseball America has Hensley at #23 in their top 500, and Kevin Goldstein has Hensley ranked #19 in his top 30).

Don't know how reliable it is, but its comes from as a reliable source as you can get. (Jon Heyman of CBS).

He's a 18 year old Power RH Pitcher with a curve ball, fast-ball, and a seldom used change-up. For what its worth he went 10-0 with a 1.52 ERA in 11 games as a senior at Santa Fe High School in Edmond, Okla. And at 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, has the ideal pitcher's frame.

Astros selecting Lance McCullers at No.41. McCullers is a Top-10 talent who tumbled down boards, likely because of the new CBA rules and a high asking price. Again, High School Stats are sometimes Dicey, but He had an ERA of 0.18, striking out 140 in 77 1/3 innings. (Source Rotoworld)

Advised by Scott Boras and may be a difficult signing. If you've got the Budget, and creativity to work around the new Strict CBS Draftee Bonus Rules, and sign him at No.41, this pick may be the biggest steal of this draft.
    Last edited by xabial; 06-07-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Grammer/Sounds Better/More Specific

Marcus Stroman to the Jays at 22 and Matt Smoral to the Jays at 50 were to great picks who appear like they are going to sign and could and should of went earlier. Obviously I only used Jays picks because their picks are the only ones I followed.

Going to sound like a homer here but I don't mean to be. But I really like the Pirates pick of Wyatt Mathisen in round 2. He was ranked the top prep catcher in the entire draft and from everything I have seen looks like he has the tools to become a strong two way catcher.

He is a player I liked before the Pirates selected him. I must admit though the only reason I looked at him was because of the Pirates. They have a tendancy to steal Texas recruits and I was looking for a possibility for this draft.

Outside of the Pirates I liked Giolito and as others have mentioned McCullers and Stroman.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

Mark Appel falling to the Pirates really isn't a shocker you mentioned the pay roll but he also wasn't far and away better then the other pitchers.

i liek Ty Hensley for the yanks
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals 21) Reds

i think Giolito will end up being the best player in this draft in 3-4 years. i think that was an absolute gift for the Nats. they are gonna be a force for quite a while i think.

Here is video of Appel's reaction when he was drafted by the Pirates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IimDpk09wpc

McCullers was good, Shaffer to the Rays was good.

I think the Brewers did well with their two first round picks.

I'm happy with the Cards second rounder Kelly.

Giolito might end up being the best pitcher in this draft if healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Here is video of Appel's reaction when he was drafted by the Pirates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IimDpk09wpc
    baaahahahahahah!

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstater View Post
    i think Giolito will end up being the best player in this draft in 3-4 years. i think that was an absolute gift for the Nats. they are gonna be a force for quite a while i think.
    ^--This...Talk of him as a top 3 pick that dropped due to a minor elbow issue...With the way people recover from Tommy John these days I'd just about take a hammer to his elbow and get it out of the way right now so you don't have to worry about it down the road.

I also like the Yanks and Pirates pick with the exception that the Pirates are not an organization that should be dedicating their entire budget to one arm.

Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    ^--This...Talk of him as a top 3 pick that dropped due to a minor elbow issue...With the way people recover from Tommy John these days I'd just about take a hammer to his elbow and get it out of the way right now so you don't have to worry about it down the road.

I also like the Yanks and Pirates pick with the exception that the Pirates are not an organization that should be dedicating their entire budget to one arm.
    In all seriousness though has there ever been a case of a player receiving preventative Tommy John surgery due to indications of the pitcher's elbow heading in that direction?

Quote Originally Posted by xabial View Post
    I don't know about you but I love to see which player falls the most, or which team gets the most value for the pick they had.

Even though these players are still light-years away from the majors its fun to speculate how that players career will be based on his Body Build, "scouting reports", and mock drafts.

Which players in the 2012 draft where you surprised fell the most?

I'll have to go with these three players:

Mark Appel to the Pirates because team's did not want to commit 90%-95%of their full draft day budget to just one player. Pirates took a huge risk to sign arguably the best pitcher in this draft class at eight overall.

Ty Hensley to the Yankees. Most MLB draft analyses had him going much higher, and Jon Heyman of CBS said Colorodo was ready to draft him at 10. Drafting a #10 player at 30? Not bad if you ask me.
    (Baseball America has Hensley at #23 in their top 500, and Kevin Goldstein has Hensley ranked #19 in his top 30).

Don't know how reliable it is, but its comes from as a reliable source as you can get. (Jon Heyman of CBS).

He's a 18 year old Power RH Pitcher with a curve ball, fast-ball, and a seldom used change-up. For what its worth he went 10-0 with a 1.52 ERA in 11 games as a senior at Santa Fe High School in Edmond, Okla. And at 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, has the ideal pitcher's frame.

Astros selecting Lance McCullers at No.41. McCullers is a Top-10 talent who tumbled down boards, likely because of the new CBA rules and a high asking price. Again, High School Stats are sometimes Dicey, but He had an ERA of 0.18, striking out 140 in 77 1/3 innings. (Source Rotoworld)

Advised by Scott Boras and may be a difficult signing. If you've got the Budget, and creativity to work around the new Strict CBS Draftee Bonus Rules, and sign him at No.41, this pick may be the biggest steal of this draft.

If Colorado was rppared to take him at 10, why didn't they? And then he slipped 18 more picks or whatever after? Doesn't seem like a credible source to me. Not saying the Yanks didn't make a good pick, but i probably wouldn't assess it as a value pick.

Quote Originally Posted by rkelly7 View Post
    If Colorado was rppared to take him at 10, why didn't they? And then he slipped 18 more picks or whatever after? Doesn't seem like a credible source to me. Not saying the Yanks didn't make a good pick, but i probably wouldn't assess it as a value pick.
    Mainly because Jon Heyman is a joke and never ever right.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstater View Post

I agree with you here. Before he injured his elbow, not too seriously mind you, he was predicted to go definitely top 10, if not top 5. These days, when half of the pitchers get tommy john anyway, it isn't to much of a risk to draft Gioloto.

The Nats very well could have the best pitching staff in the Bigs in 2015.

Strasburg
    Zimmerman
    Gonzalez
    Gioloto
    Edwin Jackson?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Mainly because Jon Heyman is a joke and never ever right.
    Bahahaha. This.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast