Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    I'm starting to lean toward going with Dickey flat out. Is it possible that he is actually this good? I almost can't believe my eyes when I watch him pitch. When he strikes guys out...I just laugh because its so awesome.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Before each start of Dickey I think is he real? So far he has been amazing.
    Team Finland, ice hockey WC in 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeMo7_l2h8Y
    Mikael Granlund are you kidding?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXtKtJggXVQ
    Lacrosse scoop of Granlund & reaction in Finnish TV
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqRyUSw6WjY

vCash
    Right now its not even close id take dickey. And dickey probably has 5 good years left in him. He's in his prime as a knuckelballer. I really would have to see contract length/money to make a real decision. Im very concerned with timmy. I think next year he will get back to form but dominate like he used to? with say cains or dickeys current numbers? i dont know.

vCash
    Dickey easily, Tim is small and losing velocity. Dickey will be great for another 4-5 years at least as a knuckler.

vCash
    I never thought i would choose dickey over lincecum

vCash
    Let's compare a guy who's off to a really really bad start to a player on my team who's off to an incredible start. That way I feel better about being a Mets fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    Let's compare a guy who's off to a really really bad start to a player on my team who's off to an incredible start. That way I feel better about being a Mets fan.
    It's honestly not that outrageous to pick Dickey over Lincecum. Sure Timmy has the proven track record, but clearly the amount of innings and his release are going to affect to long-term...hell, you're already seeing the effects. While Dickey is already old, he can throw that knuckle for years and batters aren't used to a 80 MPH knuckler. It's definitely closer than you think.

vCash
    This is starting to become more and more obvious, sheesh

vCash
    Now I'm convinced. That was unbelievable
    http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/oscar-taveras
    ~ Oscar Taveras ~ The next Phenom

vCash

hahaha, the schmucks here picking Dickey over Tim... hilarious! The same morons that took other pitchers ahead of Lincecum in 2006. Ok, maybe Kershaw is acceptable.

Dickey is a knuckleballer? Oh ok, so I can already write the book on him. He'll dominate for a good while, and then won't do a darn thing in October, if they ever get there. And after a year or two, he'll fade, b/c all knuckleballers dominate for a bit, and then start hanging pitches and get beat up badly! Name every knuckleballer for the last 20 years and you'll see their results.

2 cy youngs and a world series championship ace pitcher who can beat Cliff Lee & Roy Halladay when it matters or RA Dickey? Who's already tied his CAREER HIGH (37 years old) in Wins, has a career 4.09 ERA and is again 37 YEARS OLD! Tim is 10 years younger. This is like picking Steve Nash right now over Derrick Rose.
    2012 World Series Champs Auto Checklist: Jeremy Affeldt, Javier Lopez (2), Ryan Vogelsong, George Kontos (2), Buster Posey, Brian Sabean, Bruce Bochy, Brandon Crawford, Sergio Romo, Barry Zito...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post

hahaha, the schmucks here picking Dickey over Tim... hilarious! The same morons that took other pitchers ahead of Lincecum in 2006. Ok, maybe Kershaw is acceptable.

Dickey is a knuckleballer? Oh ok, so I can already write the book on him. He'll dominate for a good while, and then won't do a darn thing in October, if they ever get there. And after a year or two, he'll fade, b/c all knuckleballers dominate for a bit, and then start hanging pitches and get beat up badly! Name every knuckleballer for the last 20 years and you'll see their results.

2 cy youngs and a world series championship ace pitcher who can beat Cliff Lee & Roy Halladay when it matters or RA Dickey? Who's already tied his CAREER HIGH (37 years old) in Wins, has a career 4.09 ERA and is again 37 YEARS OLD! Tim is 10 years younger. This is like picking Steve Nash right now over Derrick Rose.
    Keep in mind Dickey is different as a knuckleballer. No one in history has thrown it as hard as he does and located it as good as he is currently.

His knuckler is no lollipop, it has a little heat to it,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltrans Mole View Post
    It's honestly not that outrageous to pick Dickey over Lincecum. Sure Timmy has the proven track record, but clearly the amount of innings and his release are going to affect to long-term...hell, you're already seeing the effects. While Dickey is already old, he can throw that knuckle for years and batters aren't used to a 80 MPH knuckler. It's definitely closer than you think.
    It's just a horrible comparison to make. Comparing a guy who's peaked out of the blue to a guy who's either having the worst season of his career or a guy who's career is over.

They pick Lincecum because he's a former Cy Young winner but at the same time he's not pitching on that level right now. Bragging rights.

If you want to compare him to an ace then compare him to Verlander or Felix or Kershaw or Cain, etc. Don't compare him to a guy that fell off the map.

Technically, everyone's better than Timmy right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leftymo View Post

Steve Nash is still at the top of his game, and Derrick Rose is coming off of an injury plagued season, with a serious injury to end his year in the playoffs.

I might go with Nash lol.
    DUDA

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    For the record, not every knuckleball pitcher has faded after a few good years.

Phil Niekro had a very long, sustained career, and he did so by pitching very well into his mid 40s.

It isn't impossible to say that Dickey could have a very successful 6-7 more years left in him of pitching at a very high level.

You can't simply rule it out. His knuckleball is arguably the best of its kind...better than Niekro's knuckler.

You also can't simply assume that Timmy will return to form. There have been many cases of dominant aces randomly falling off the Earth after 4-5 dominant seasons early in their careers. I think his struggles this season can give us enough of a sense of concern to justify making this comparison worthwhile.

I am a Mets fan, and I love Dickey, so I am obviously going with him. From a non-biased viewpoint...I think its a tough call. I don't want to simply live in the moment, but you can't ignore the moment either. Tough call to make here. If Lincecum didn't look soooooooo bad right now, it would be much easier for me to just go with the sure thing in Lincecum, but he is starting to pose just as much a risk as Dickey going forward.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 06-20-2012 at 01:58 AM.
    DUDA

vCash
    It's just a horrible comparison to make. Comparing a guy who's peaked out of the blue to a guy who's either having the worst season of his career or a guy who's career is over.

They pick Lincecum because he's a former Cy Young winner but at the same time he's not pitching on that level right now. Bragging rights.

If you want to compare him to an ace then compare him to Verlander or Felix or Kershaw or Cain, etc. Don't compare him to a guy that fell off the map.

Technically, everyone's better than Timmy right now.
    Well why the hell would you compare Dickey to Verlander or Kershaw when clearly they are the better pitchers to have?? I mean jeez. The question was asked because it's a good question up for the debate...this is a sports forum, correct? Lincecum is having a terrible year and Dickey is having an amazing year, and for that reason people feel the gap between them has been bridged and it's frankly a toss-up.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast