Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 79

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    22,592
    vCash
    1500

    R.A. Dickey or Tim Lincecum

    If you were a GM, and your owner gave you the money to sign either of these two pitchers to a LONG TERM contract (5+ years, X amount of money.) Who would you sign? You cannot sign both. Take into account age/price/consistence/talent/potential. You HAVE to offer 5 years to both pitchers. You can offer Lincecum X amount of money, but Dickey will accept .5X-.75X of what you offer Lincecum.

    If you really think about it, it is a tougher question than you want to admit.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    14,844
    vCash
    1500
    The answer is Lincecum... RA Dickey is 38...

    This isn't a tough question at all.
    Son, you just don't get it, i'm talking bout TWTW!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,003
    vCash
    6944
    Quote Originally Posted by whitesoxfan83 View Post
    The answer is Lincecum... RA Dickey is 38...

    This isn't a tough question at all.
    Pretty much says it.

    Why not ask if we want Jamie Moyer or Strasburg
    Striving for a kinder, gentler PhillyFaninLA

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    23,546
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFaninLA View Post
    Pretty much says it.

    Why not ask if we want Jamie Moyer or Strasburg
    Because Dickey is 12 years younger and 12 times better than Moyer and Lincecum is older and worse than Strasburg??


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

    New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Donating blood: Red and Gold+
    Posts
    30,150
    vCash
    9165
    Quote Originally Posted by whitesoxfan83 View Post
    The answer is Lincecum... RA Dickey is 38...

    This isn't a tough question at all.
    This.


    Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

    lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana


    Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    69
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by whitesoxfan83 View Post
    The answer is Lincecum... RA Dickey is 38...

    This isn't a tough question at all.
    This sums it all up

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    @MattHunt22
    Posts
    6,317
    vCash
    500

    R.A. Dickey or Tim Lincecum

    Depends where my team is. If I only have a window of a couple of years left to win I go with Dckey. If my team is on it's way to being a force for years to come I go Timmy


    If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
    Posts
    3,929
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    If you were a GM, and your owner gave you the money to sign either of these two pitchers to a LONG TERM contract (5+ years, X amount of money.) Who would you sign? You cannot sign both. Take into account age/price/consistence/talent/potential. You HAVE to offer 5 years to both pitchers. You can offer Lincecum X amount of money, but Dickey will accept .5X-.75X of what you offer Lincecum.

    If you really think about it, it is a tougher question than you want to admit.
    Timmy


    and I'm a Mets fan.

    Ewing dunk past Mourning
    GIFSoup
    DANTONI IS:
    -HORRIBLE out of timeouts
    -HORRIBLE D
    -Too many 3's
    -PF is pushed to the 3 point line
    -Doesn't play BIGS
    -Dog Houses players
    -HORRIBLE management of players and motivation

    [QUOTE=Knick4Knack;22330620]
    Go out on your front lawn, take a dump and see how long your neighbors will talk about that little slice of life. That's what Mike D did to this franchise./QUOTE]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    @MattHunt22
    Posts
    6,317
    vCash
    500

    R.A. Dickey or Tim Lincecum

    You guys are so quick to pick lincecum. Not saying it's the wrong choice but I'd be skeptical signing him to 5+ years with the amount of money he wants after the year he has put up. his velocity continues to drop every year.

    I'm not even considering Dickey in this though. Just the fact that Lincecum and a long term contract is pretty scary


    If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,819
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    You guys are so quick to pick lincecum. Not saying it's the wrong choice but I'd be skeptical signing him to 5+ years with the amount of money he wants after the year he has put up. his velocity continues to drop every year.

    I'm not even considering Dickey in this though. Just the fact that Lincecum and a long term contract is pretty scary
    Yet you'd offer a 5 year deal to a 38 year old? Lincecum is the obvious choice.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    4,982
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    You guys are so quick to pick lincecum. Not saying it's the wrong choice but I'd be skeptical signing him to 5+ years with the amount of money he wants after the year he has put up. his velocity continues to drop every year.

    I'm not even considering Dickey in this though. Just the fact that Lincecum and a long term contract is pretty scary

    Man, there are so many clueless guys on this board it's not funny.

    Where do I start? First, Tim Lincecum himself doesn't want a long term deal. He rejected a 5 year 100 million dollar deal for a 2 year 40 million dollar deal. He wants to pay as you go, that's just how he is.

    This is his worst season, and it's mainly b/c he wasn't prepared to play this year. He's had basically one bad inning in every outing, but his K's are still there (see Matt Kemp last month who went 0-3 with 3 K's against him.)

    Lincecum's velocity went UP from 2010 to 2011. He gained weight & muscle and ADDED velocity, this past off season he lost weight, and his velocity has dropped.

    One guy is a two time cy young winner, a power pitcher built for the playoffs who logs 200 IP every year, and has won a World Series defeating Cliff Lee twice, & Roy Halladay... the other guy is Dickey.

    This is the same reason why 9 teams passed on Tim in the draft. And it still plagues him. Yeah, he'll have a bad year this year, but check back next year. The ace will return.
    2012 World Series Champs Auto Checklist: Jeremy Affeldt, Javier Lopez (2), Ryan Vogelsong, George Kontos (2), Buster Posey, Brian Sabean, Bruce Bochy, Brandon Crawford, Sergio Romo, Barry Zito...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    @MattHunt22
    Posts
    6,317
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulls_fan90 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    You guys are so quick to pick lincecum. Not saying it's the wrong choice but I'd be skeptical signing him to 5+ years with the amount of money he wants after the year he has put up. his velocity continues to drop every year.

    I'm not even considering Dickey in this though. Just the fact that Lincecum and a long term contract is pretty scary
    Yet you'd offer a 5 year deal to a 38 year old? Lincecum is the obvious choice.
    He said it would be a cheaper deal. At a cheaper deal I'd rather sign Dickey actually. He seems to have gotten better with age. Age doesn't have the same decline effect on knuckleballers compared to other pitchers. You are just looking at age. You aren't comparing Lincecum's sharp declinr to Dickey's steady improvement/consistent pitching. So no, Lincecum is not the obvious choice


    If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
    Posts
    3,929
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    He said it would be a cheaper deal. At a cheaper deal I'd rather sign Dickey actually. He seems to have gotten better with age. Age doesn't have the same decline effect on knuckleballers compared to other pitchers. You are just looking at age. You aren't comparing Lincecum's sharp declinr to Dickey's steady improvement/consistent pitching. So no, Lincecum is not the obvious choice
    Cheaper deal, yes...but only 1/2 or 3/4 discount.

    So, if Lincecum gets 5 years and $100, that puts Dickey at 5 years and $50/75....which is just too much for Dickey.

    Ewing dunk past Mourning
    GIFSoup
    DANTONI IS:
    -HORRIBLE out of timeouts
    -HORRIBLE D
    -Too many 3's
    -PF is pushed to the 3 point line
    -Doesn't play BIGS
    -Dog Houses players
    -HORRIBLE management of players and motivation

    [QUOTE=Knick4Knack;22330620]
    Go out on your front lawn, take a dump and see how long your neighbors will talk about that little slice of life. That's what Mike D did to this franchise./QUOTE]

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    @MattHunt22
    Posts
    6,317
    vCash
    500
    Also, before you talk about his statistics in past years, I'm talking about his sharp drop in velocity and how it'll likely continue to drop with his mechanics


    If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    14,844
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    Also, before you talk about his statistics in past years, I'm talking about his sharp drop in velocity and how it'll likely continue to drop with his mechanics
    Did you just start watching baseball this season? How can you predict with any certainty that his velocity will drop because of his mechanics. Are you the nostradamus of scouts? Dickey's more likely to decline with age than Lincecum is with mechanics.

    I know Dickey is having a great year and Lincecum is having a terrible one but just think about what you're saying...

    Lincecum's last 4 seasons:
    881.2IP 977Ks 2.81ERA 1.17WHIP 10.0K/9 3.11K/BB
    He has 2 Cy Youngs in this period and 3-times he led the NL in Strikeouts and K per 9.

    Even Lincecum's last 2 seasons, where he's supposedly been declining, he has posted a 3.08ERA 1.20WHIP 451Ks in 429IP (9.5 K/9) and a 2.78K/BB ratio.

    Now compare this with Dickey's last 2 seasons...

    3.08ERA 1.21WHIP 238Ks in 383IP to go a long with a 5.6K/9 and 2.48K/BB

    Even in Lincecum's supposedly worst seasons he's still been more durable, a Ks machine, and had slightly better control. The ERA and WHIP are also a wash. Hell even if you compare their seasons in 2011 Lincecum was still better. This spring is the first time in their careers Dickey can claim he's been better- it's been 2 months. Great sample size...

    Now, add in the fact Lincecum was basically LIGHTS OUT in the 2010 postseason when he led the Giants, yes the hapless never won **** in San Fran-GIANTS, to a World Series win.

    Dickey on the other hand has never pitched in the playoffs.

    And again, there's the age...

    Lincecum is 28
    Dickey is 38

    Even if Dickey played well until 43 (which is incredibly unlikely considering his track record and the fact most guys simply don't perform that well that late) why would you risk losing a guy like Lincecum, who we know has the potential to be a Cy Young worthy player every year and has at least 7-10 years left in his career, for a 38 year old who only has 2 solid seasons to back up his 10 year career?

    The entire argument for Dickey hinges on Lincecum's health and the fact you could get him for less money. You aren't even arguing for Dickey you're arguing against Lincecum. That's the only way Dickey can even win this argument outside of the money which is another reason this entire argument is ridiculous to begin with.

    But, let's consider the money... the only half way decent argument to be made...

    Let's say you have to give Lincecum 5yrs 100million (which I think is more than possible in today's market for pitching)
    Even by the standards you present (which in itself are crazy because in reality his money would be relative to the pitching market at the time. If Dickey had a great year he might end up getting a boat load of money on a market with no pitching. To say he'll just get half of what Lincecum would can't be proven anyway) but let's assume for the sake of your argument that Dickey would get HALF of Lincecum's contract...I have to give 38 year old RA Dickey 5yrs at 50million? Really? This is the best angle?

    So now my choice is...

    A 28-year old 2-time Cy Young winning, World Champion, 3-time NL Strikeout and Kper9 champ who might be plagued with injury because of his mechanics for 5 years at 100million.

    vs

    A guy who is 38 years old, never pitched in the playoffs, never been the champ of anything except a Santana-less Mets' rotation and who absolutely will be plagued with old age issues at some point for 5 years at 50million.


    AND the only decent argument that can be established for Dickey at this point is the health and durability of Lincecum... But even then, I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who will say Dickey will pitch more innings in the next 5 years than Lincecum will.



    This is no choice at all, the answer is Lincecum.
    Last edited by whitesoxfan83; 06-03-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    Son, you just don't get it, i'm talking bout TWTW!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •