Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

How do you solve a problem like Dan Murphy?

Sung to to tune of "How do you solve a problem like Maria" from The Sound of Music. But I'll spare everyone the YouTube video this time around. This thread was inspired by Clay who asked a great question in the game thread:

Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    In the long run, would it be better to develop Murphy as a 2nd baseman? Is he the long term solution?
    My answer: I don't think so. Murphy is who he is, someone who can hit line drives in his sleep. But in the the field, he plods around with rocks for hands and crates for feet. He's a great person, works hard and busts his butt (feel free to insert more cliches here if you wish). But as much as I want to root for this guy to make it as a solid, consistent, second baseman, I just don't see it.

I know, he never really was afforded much time there. Last season because of injuries, he was bounced around from second to third to first like an Abbott and Costello comedy routine. The year before he was taken out on an illegal slide in the minors.

So maybe he needs one solid season, like this one, where he can take his lumps and not worry about blowing crucial games. Still, I can't ignore my eyes that tell me no matter how hard he works and how many innings he's given, he'll always have rocks for hands and crates for feet.

I understand not wanting to bounce Murphy around some more. I completely get them wanting to give him more time. But here's something to keep in our back pockets: If Wright requires an extended stay on the DL, maybe they should bite the bullet on Murphy at second and move him over to third, probably his best position after first base. (Second base is a distant third). Then bring up V-Spin to play second base.

Just a thought for a dreary Wednesday, an hour and a half before game time.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Get to mid season and hope he has high value. If we are not in it trade him to the AL for prospects. Unfortunately the two spots he can play we have ( hopefully ) long term solutions. Someone in the AL could use a DH, 1B, or 3B that can hit over .300. Someone in the NL can use a 1B or 3B that can hit over .300.

However lets see how it plays out. He can improve, but if he doesn't he will be a serious problem.

vCash
    So, under your plan...what happens when Wright comes back?

Because I don't care where Murphy plays...as long as his bat is in the lineup.

Any plan that does not have Murphy playing everyday is a failure of a plan IMO.

I'll sacrafice defense for offense any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    I wasn't aware that Daniel Murphy was a problem.

Probably because he isn't.

Murphy isn't horrible at second. You have to be crazy to pull Murphy's bat out of this lineup.

If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

vCash
    This was from M L B T R...BS like this pisses me off.

The Mets believe Daniel Murphy’s best position is third base, Sherman writes. Since David Wright won’t necessarily be in New York long-term, the Mets may want to see Murphy at the hot corner while Wright’s broken finger heals.
    I hate how they just assume this ****.

vCash
    Also, you stating that you can't see Murphy developing into a good 2nd baseman; that you believe he will always be a guy "with rocks for hands and crates for feet", holds the same amount of value as me saying Murphy could be a good fielder at 2nd base with enough time/practice/experience.

If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post

Murphy isn't horrible at second. You have to be crazy to pull Murphy's bat out of this lineup.
    Some people actually want to trade Murphy, or put him on the bench lol.

Its crazy.
    DUDA

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post

That's debatable.
    But with this offense, Murphy needs to play and 2nd is the logical place.

And while I think Turner to be a below average 2nd baseman, why would the original poster (op) want to bring up Jordany instead of using Justin.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    So, under your plan...what happens when Wright comes back?

Because I don't care where Murphy plays...as long as his bat is in the lineup.

Any plan that does not have Murphy playing everyday is a failure of a plan IMO.

I'll sacrifice defense for offense any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
    Not at second base.

I love his bat as much as you do, but a cripple of a second baseman is a cripple of a pitching staff. And a cripple of a pitching staff is a cripple of a team.

But here's the thing: We don't know yet if he in fact will always be a cripple of a second baseman. I like MetsBull's idea of giving him at least a half a season before we entertain the possibility of moving him.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    That's debatable.

And while I think Turner to be a below average 2nd baseman, why would the original poster (op) want to bring up Jordany instead of using Justin.
    It all depends on how Wright will be out. If you're gonna tell me Wright will be back in the lineup within two weeks, then Justin is our boy. But if Wright is out for a month, maybe more, we might as well see what V-Spin can do.

I like Justin a lot but as a utility man, not a long-term solution as a starting second baseman. I just don't see him as an everyday player on a contending team.

vCash
    That's debatable.

Because at least Valdespin has significant upside and he has much more range than Turner. Defensively he is much better at 2B than he was at SS. He also brings the element of speed to this team.

Turner is not a solution at 2B, I would hate to see play everyday at 2B while a capable 2B like Jordany is down in AAA.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 04-11-2012 at 12:11 PM.

vCash
    Has Murphy ever had an extended stay at any position at the ML level? I really can't recall any other than some time at 1B replacing an injury.

I would say give him 100 games at 2B and see what shakes out. I'm not optimistic that anything would shake out, but at least we will know for sure. If after 100 games he is what he is now, you would have to trade him. I thought him and Pelfrey in a package to an AL team would have netted something.

Isn't this the last year for Ortiz in Boston. That would be a good fit for Murphy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Not at second base.

I love his bat as much as you do, but a cripple of a second baseman is a cripple of a pitching staff. And a cripple of a pitching staff is a cripple of a team.

But here's the thing: We don't know yet if he in fact will always be a cripple of a second baseman. I like MetsBull's idea of giving him at least a half a season before we entertain the possibility of moving him.
    He isn't as bad as you are making him out to be...he just sucks at one thing...turning double plays.

I wouldn't call him a cripple of a second baseman, and I wouldn't say he is crippling our pitching staff.

He had a bad game yesterday. Do you remember what he did the game before that? He saved our pitching staff with his defense lol.

He isn't quite as bad as he is being made out to be...he just has one alarming weakness. It sucks, but he is still worth it to be in this lineup IMO.
    DUDA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    Has Murphy ever had an extended stay at any position at the ML level? I really can't recall any other than some time at 1B replacing an injury.

I would say give him 100 games at 2B and see what shakes out. I'm not optimistic that anything would shake out, but at least we will know for sure. If after 100 games he is what he is now, you would have to trade him. I thought him and Pelfrey in a package to an AL team would have netted something.

Isn't this the last year for Ortiz in Boston. That would be a good fit for Murphy.
    Yeah, this is in line with my thinking. My gut tells me Murphy will never be a viable second baseman but we should at least see what he can do before making that determination. To be fair, he hasn't had the chance yet.

vCash
    right now, put murphy at third base. He does a good job over there and until dwright gets back it fills a need. Then bring up someone to play 2B. Ronny Cedeno is NOT the answer to fill in for more than one game at a time. Our biggest problem is too many LH batters. Because bay has not hit yet (And I think he will) teams will just load up on lefties against us. Duda, and Murphy looked awful against detwilder last night. That cant happen on a regular basis. We are seeing both hammels and Lee in Philly and without David Wright, we are hosed. What RH infielders are down at AAA or AA that can help us til David gets back?

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast