Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Supplements

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BKdoubleStacker:22421116
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    If anyone would like to read another article on post workout myths: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...utrition_myths

All sources are listed at the end of the article.

It specifically touches on post workout carbs, the anabolic window, and different types of protein in a few of the subpoints.
    thanks for those articles. So what is the suggestion, then? Should I just eat a solid meal?
    Whole foods are always the preferred calorie source...but the point is that it doesn't matter.

Google the phrase "if it fits your macros".

Let's say your macro goals for the day are 250g carb, 187g protein, 83g fat (2500 calories)

Studies show that it doesn't matter what you eat, or how often, or at what time....as long as you hit your macro goals for the day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goldglove212 View Post
    lolol bro science

I just try to eat every 2-3 hours mainly because i get really ****ing hungry and always take a shake right after my workout

same here but i usually stay low carb

Thanks 2 knicksr4real for holdn nycsports down with the hottest sig on psd!!!

vCash
    Trutein is my ish. I've had three bowls of banana proats since I got my tub yesterday
    Trutein's definitely my preferred protein hands down.

What ratio do you use for the oats (waterroteinats)? I feel like a lot of times I try my mix is jacked up.

"Last year, we earned respect, but this year we want fear. We want quarterbacks to fear us, and we want offensive lines to fear us." --Ndamokung Suh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by levignjw View Post
    Trutein's definitely my preferred protein hands down.

What ratio do you use for the oats (waterroteinats)? I feel like a lot of times I try my mix is jacked up.
    I use these oats: http://www.betteroats.com/product/oa...cinnamon-roll/

Cook the oats in the microwave with the instructed amount of water, add two scoops of trutein, and then add more water after to get it less thick (since Trutein mixes so thick)

Works out to be 440 calories, 56g Protein, 46g Carb, 6g Fat.

Toss in two tbsp of PB for an extra 200 cals and 15-18g of fat and you cover all your bases

If I'm too lazy to use oats, I use granola and eat it cold/room temp.

vCash
    Whole foods are always the preferred calorie source...but the point is that it doesn't matter.

Google the phrase "if it fits your macros".

Let's say your macro goals for the day are 250g carb, 187g protein, 83g fat (2500 calories)

Studies show that it doesn't matter what you eat, or how often, or at what time....as long as you hit your macro goals for the day.
    That only applies to controlling weight and body composition, not overall health.

It certainly matters what you eat regarding your overall health. Micronutrients shouldn't be entirely overlooked.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Wrong-ish.

Sure.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

Hitting your daily macros is all that matters. Meal timing is irrelevant. There is no anabolic window.

Feel free to read alanaragonblog.com as well.

Per Alan:

And if you don't believe him, that's your problem. He's earned his bachelors and masters in Science of Nutrition (with honors).

Anyone close to the fitness industry the past few years would classify meal timing as 'bro science'.
    it depends who you talk to honestly. not trying to start anything but i know a lady who also has a masters in nutrition who disagrees. but when it comes down to it, you should do whatever you think works best for you. i personally prefer to have my protein shake within a half hour of working out.

vCash
    Good for her.

She's wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    That only applies to controlling weight and body composition, not overall health.

It certainly matters what you eat regarding your overall health. Micronutrients shouldn't be entirely overlooked.
    Correct. Micronutrients are very important. I agree.

vCash
    I do a 3 on 1 off split, I'm almost always on bb.com because I rep for neogenix. Majoring in exercise science in school and expect to have a job in the supplement industry post graduate.
    if Sports Administration doesn't work out for me, i was thinking i would try exercise science. it seams like it would be really fun.

vCash
    Good for her.

She's wrong.
    and good for you. that's your opinion.
    Last edited by jlohm1; 06-05-2012 at 05:07 PM.

vCash
    It's not an opinion. It's a fact backed by peer reviewed clinical studies.

Now tell me, where are the up to date studies that contradict it? Please post them.

vCash
    here's one in Men's Fitness by Jeffrey Volek, Ph.D., R.D., a nutrition and exercise researcher at the University of Connecticut.

"Volek recommends splitting your dose of protein, eating half 30 minutes before the workout and the other half 30 minutes after. A total of 10 to 20 grams of protein is ideal"

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/gu...er-workout.php

idk why i bother posting an article anyway. whenever i do you just make a joke out of it.

vCash
    I asked for a study, not an unfounded magazine article that's out of date.

That entire study by Volek was proved wrong multiple times over by more up-to-date studies. It's old.

This is the same Volek that wrote:

"CLA has effects on body composition, bone mass and more" (..Wrong).
    "CLA may shed body fat" (Wrong)

The article you're referencing is based on studies conducted in 2006 and earlier...All of which have been proven dead-wrong by more up-to-date research.
    Last edited by Corey; 06-05-2012 at 05:38 PM.

vCash
    If anyone would like to read another article on post workout myths: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...utrition_myths

All sources are listed at the end of the article.

It specifically touches on post workout carbs, the anabolic window, and different types of protein in a few of the subpoints.
    Thanks for posting this Corey, it really helped. I'm going to do a full round of P90x this summer with my cousin, and I contemplated buying this recovery shake that Beachbody corporation sells.

It's this:

http://www.beachbody.com/product/sup...ery_formula.do

From what I've gathered, it's not necessary to purchase this or consume a high carb post workout drink in general since it's not really going to make much of a difference (if any) at all. In other words, there's no need for me to spend my money on something like this when that money could be used on something else...

I'm also on a tight budget and don't feel like spending $50 on something that isn't necessary haha.

vCash
    P90x is a great program, for sure. You can definitely alter the meal and supplement plan to fit your individual needs.

Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast