Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Supplements

vCash
    Using Muscle Milk now. It says you can use it before or after your workout. You guys recommend drinking it before and after, or no?

Also, can you use it after cardio workouts?
    Philadelphia Phillies
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Philadelphia Sixers
    Philadelphia Flyers

vCash
    i like muscle milk but i think whey is better to have than casein. muscle milk is best either pre workout or before bed because it digests very slowly where as whey digest very quick.

Thanks 2 knicksr4real for holdn nycsports down with the hottest sig on psd!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadStBullies View Post
    Using Muscle Milk now. It says you can use it before or after your workout. You guys recommend drinking it before and after, or no?

I take Cytogainer pre-workout (3 scoops with 2/3 cup milk), and post-workout (4 scoops 4/3 cup milk).

I think it's working well, then again I'm pre-law.

He woulda been ****ed in Washington...
    Update: Turns out he was ****ed in Kansas City too

Flyers PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2009
    Phillies PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2010

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    It's fat burning as a standalone product is nil, but it has other health benefits that make it a useful part of your daily intake.

As a piece of a fatburning stack, it's useful. On its own, meh.
    is there any other natural fat burners that are relatively cheap and work good?

vCash
    EC stacking is really cheap, and probably the most effective fat burner available.

Ephedrine (not ephedra) + Caffeine.

You can buy bulk caffeine pills for really cheap, and get ephedrine via Bronkaid, Primatene, or a generic Ephedrine HCL/Sulfate product.

Read about it here: http://www.hotnfit.com/ecstack.htm

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nycsports2 View Post
    i like muscle milk but i think whey is better to have than casein. muscle milk is best either pre workout or before bed because it digests very slowly where as whey digest very quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by theLgndKllr35 View Post
    I take Cytogainer pre-workout (3 scoops with 2/3 cup milk), and post-workout (4 scoops 4/3 cup milk).

Meal / Nutrient timing is irrelevant. You do not need to eat at certain times (pre/post workout).

Hitting your macros by the end of the day is all that matters.

There is no anabolic window. It's a myth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsports2 View Post
    Isn't whey protein for skinnier types of people? I'm average. Just need to lose about 10 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by theLgndKllr35 View Post

Heh, never even heard of it...

Meal / Nutrient timing is irrelevant. You do not need to eat at certain times (pre/post workout).

I'm talking about Muscle Milk though. Aren't you supposed to take it within 30 minutes after finishing your workout?
    Last edited by BroadStBullies; 06-05-2012 at 12:25 AM.
    Philadelphia Phillies
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Philadelphia Sixers
    Philadelphia Flyers

vCash
    Isn't whey protein for skinnier types of people? I'm average. Just need to lose about 10 lbs.

Heh, never even heard of it...

I'm talking about Muscle Milk though. Aren't you supposed to take it within 30 minutes after finishing your workout?
    Nope. You can drink it whenever you want. If you prefer to take it post workout, that's fine, but it doesn't make a difference when.

Meal timing doesn't matter.

Say your target is 2500 calories per day..

You could split that up over 4 meals, you could eat one big 2500 calorie meal, you could eat 10 tiny meals...it doesn't matter. Either way you're still consuming 2500 calories.

Protein drinks are marketed as post workout products, but it doesn't make a difference. There is no anabolic window...you'll see no difference in body comp or muscle gain if you choose to drink your protein post workout or 4 hours later.

The only thing that matters is hitting your target macros (protein, fat, carbs) by the end of the day.

vCash
    Creatine suggestions?

EDIT: Probably should elaborate. Favorite straight creatine product?
    Last edited by Kyle916; 06-05-2012 at 01:43 AM.

vCash

Source? it is widely accepted that a protein and high GI carb is beneficial post workout.

I agree pre workout isnt really going to do anything though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle916 View Post
    Creatine suggestions?

creatine mono. any brand should do. I throw a teaspoon down with water.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle916 View Post
    Creatine suggestions?

I just bought SNS Creatine Mono. We'll see how it is in a couple days when I get it. Don't get Dymatize Micronized unless you want a pile of creatine at the bottom of your shake when you are done.

vCash
    Nope. You can drink it whenever you want. If you prefer to take it post workout, that's fine, but it doesn't make a difference when.

Meal timing doesn't matter.

Say your target is 2500 calories per day..

You could split that up over 4 meals, you could eat one big 2500 calorie meal, you could eat 10 tiny meals...it doesn't matter. Either way you're still consuming 2500 calories.

Protein drinks are marketed as post workout products, but it doesn't make a difference. There is no anabolic window...you'll see no difference in body comp or muscle gain if you choose to drink your protein post workout or 4 hours later.

The only thing that matters is hitting your target macros (protein, fat, carbs) by the end of the day.
    Where did you get info to back this up? You might be the only person who's ever told me that you can drink it whenever lol.
    Philadelphia Phillies
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Philadelphia Sixers
    Philadelphia Flyers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BKdoubleStacker View Post
    Source? it is widely accepted that a protein and high GI carb is beneficial post workout.
    Wrong-ish.

Where did you get info to back this up? You might be the only person who's ever told me that you can drink it whenever lol.
    Sure.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

Hitting your daily macros is all that matters. Meal timing is irrelevant. There is no anabolic window.

Feel free to read alanaragonblog.com as well.

Per Alan:
    The postexercise "anabolic window" is a highly misused & abused concept. Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you're an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulin levels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase postexercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn't support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast postexercise carb orgy for optimal results.
    And if you don't believe him, that's your problem. He's earned his bachelors and masters in Science of Nutrition (with honors).

Anyone close to the fitness industry the past few years would classify meal timing as 'bro science'.
    Last edited by Corey; 06-05-2012 at 12:21 PM.

vCash
    lolol bro science

I just try to eat every 2-3 hours mainly because i get really ****ing hungry and always take a shake right after my workout
    Limitations are for people that have them, and excuses are for people that need them.

Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast