Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 74 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Supplements

vCash
    the only vitamins you can get too much of are A, D, E, and K. and even so, to get too much is almost unheard of. and if you are exercising regularly, you need more vitamins than the average couch potato. the recommended amount of protein a day is only 50 grams. obviously, i doubt anyone here consumes that little. the way i see it, it's the same with vitamins. your body is going through a lot more than the average person and you need more nutrients as a result. i do agree that getting them from food is the best option, however, a lot of people don't get what they need through food alone. as long as it is a good multivitamin and not synthetic, then it's really good for you in so many ways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    the only vitamins you can get too much of are A, D, E, and K. and even so, to get too much is almost unheard of. and if you are exercising regularly, you need more vitamins than the average couch potato. the recommended amount of protein a day is only 50 grams. obviously, i doubt anyone here consumes that little. the way i see it, it's the same with vitamins. your body is going through a lot more than the average person and you need more nutrients as a result. i do agree that getting them from food is the best option, however, a lot of people don't get what they need through food alone. as long as it is a good multivitamin and not synthetic, then it's really good for you in so many ways.
    Your first point is absolutely false. there are tons of vitamins/minerals that have toxicity levels, look it up. Obviously, it is going to differ from individual to individual. Although Vitamin C is generally safe, some people can have adverse effects from it if they take too much. Most people arent going to OD on Vit C though. There are some that don't have a toxicity level, but that doesnt mean one doesnt exist, it just means one isnt established yet. You do know that the recommendations you see on labels are all based on 2,000 calorie diets right? They are also not adjusted for athletes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BKdoubleStacker View Post
    Your first point is absolutely false. there are tons of vitamins/minerals that have toxicity levels, look it up. Obviously, it is going to differ from individual to individual. Although Vitamin C is generally safe, some people can have adverse effects from it if they take too much. Most people arent going to OD on Vit C though. There are some that don't have a toxicity level, but that doesnt mean one doesnt exist, it just means one isnt established yet. You do know that the recommendations you see on labels are all based on 2,000 calorie diets right? They are also not adjusted for athletes.
    it's actually absolutely true. look it up. i'm actually reading a book about vitamins now

and i know that labels are not adjusted for athletes, and thats why athletes need more than what is suggested.

vCash
    it's actually absolutely true. look it up. i'm actually reading a book about vitamins now

and i know that labels are not adjusted for athletes, and thats why athletes need more than what is suggested.
    ...I just took a nutrition class at my university a year ago, I think I would still remember most of what I learned. She is a very smart professor who worked overseas with children in 3rd world countries and was also the nutritionist for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Btw, by toxicity, I dont mean they are going to kill you. They are moreso acute effects like diahrrea and vomiting, but are probably precursors for chronic effects, which there is virtually no good data on

There is also a difference between athletes and bodybuilders/powerlifters. Athletes, especially endurance athletes require much more. They do a lot more than spend an hour or two in teh gym.
    Last edited by BKdoubleStacker; 06-18-2012 at 07:43 PM.

vCash
    I like my slow release proteins, when I wake up and before I go to bed. Is casein really needed before bed or can I just take any protein before bed?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakeyFool View Post
    I like my slow release proteins, when I wake up and before I go to bed. Is casein really needed before bed or can I just take any protein before bed?
    Take whatever protein you want. It doesn't make a difference.

vCash
    Your first point is absolutely false. there are tons of vitamins/minerals that have toxicity levels, look it up.
    hmm, i'm actually under the same impression as jlohm1. A, D, E, and K are fat soluble, so it can build up in your body (in the fat to be more specific) leading to toxic amounts. B and C are water soluble, so even if you take 100 times the amount you're supposed to, you'll just piss it out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    hmm, i'm actually under the same impression as jlohm1. A, D, E, and K are fat soluble, so it can build up in your body (in the fat to be more specific) leading to toxic amounts. B and C are water soluble, so even if you take 100 times the amount you're supposed to, you'll just piss it out.
    Not exactly.

Some water soluble vitamins have high toxicity, and you can in fact OD them to a harmful level.

Also, there's more than just vitamins in multi supplements. Most minerals can be toxic in high amounts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    exactly. while it is possible to get too much B and C vitamins, the amount you need is almost unrealistic. too much of anything can become a bad thing really.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Not exactly.

Some water soluble vitamins have high toxicity, and you can in fact OD them to a harmful level.

Also, there's more than just vitamins in multi supplements. Most minerals can be toxic in high amounts.
    thank you, was about to post the same exact thing lol

It is very difficult to reach toxic levels from food. IMO, save the money and spend it elsewhere. Multivitamins are doo doo

vCash
    it is also hard to reach toxic levels from multivitamins

vCash
    I am done with this conversation

vCash

I am done with this conversation
    Now you know how I feel.

vCash
    What are your guys opinion on thermogenics?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post

Now you know how I feel.

I guess that makes 3 of us

Page 13 of 74 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast