Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Over training chest?

Hey guys, I'm at a roadblock with my chest and I'm worried I'm over training it, and it's resulting in my chest being vastly underdeveloped compared to my arms, back, shoulders, legs, etc.

For starters just let me say I'm 21, 6' 200lbs, around 10-12% BF and have been seriously lifting since 2009.

Also I'm consuming around 3500 calories, in particular 300gs of protein a day. (It's mostly a very lean diet, all eggs, chicken, tuna, salmon, etc.)

For my chest I'll do a two day split, with about 3-4 days in between the first and second workout.

Chest day 1: Flat Bench Press 6 Sets of 6-8 Reps
    Dumbbell Flat Press 4 Sets of 6-10 Reps (I do a dropset each set so I'll do 6-8-10)
    Dumbbell Flat Flies 4 Sets of 8-12 Reps (I do a dropset each set so I'll do 8-10-12
    Dips 3 sets to failure
    Dumbbell Pullovers 3 Sets of 10

Chest day 2: Incline Bench Press 6 Sets of 6-8 reps
    Dumbbell Incline Press 4 Sets of 6-10 Reps (I do a dropset each set so I'll do 6-8-10)
    Dumbbell Incline Flies 4 Sets of 8-12 Reps (I do a dropset each set so I'll do 8-10-12)
    Cable Cross over 3 Sets of 8
    Dips 3 Sets to failure

I don't know if the amount of sets are too much or not, but I do the same amount of sets for my back, which has developed nicely, and even more with my legs, which have pretty well developed pretty well. (Bis, Tris, and Shoulders I don't do anywhere near as many sets, but they're my most developed area, which makes me think when I'm doing chest I may be using my secondary muscles too much)

It's not that I'm not strong in my chest, I put up respectable weight, but my chest just refuses to grow. Which makes me think it's either A. I'm overtraining, or B. My shoulders and triceps are doing most of the work during my chest workout. The rest of my body grows like a weed.

Lastly I should say it's not growing in thickness, so like outwards, but the width does seem to have some size, but that's also probably in part because I have wide lats.

So does anybody have any advice on making my chest grow or what is stunting my growth? Overtraining or possibly favoring secondary muscles instead of specifically the chest? Or even favored routines of their own where they saw results?

Thanks in advance guys. And sorry for writing so much.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUcjOIZc80c

Watch this, especially the rotate your elbows thing. You don't want your elbows going out parallel to the bar. About 45 degrees from your side is best and will save your shoulders. Also, when I was logged jammed an old poster "warrior" helped me out.

I was stuck at 195 after taking 8 months off, and got it back to 265 lbs and this is how.

Do 3 warm up sets of 5 reps with about 50% your max. Then add 30 lbs or so and do 3 controlled reps, basically add anywhere from 15-30 lbs each set(what ever you are comfortable with). Once you hit 3 reps of as much weight as you can go up, start drop setting. 5 reps each time and then when you get back to the warm up weight just max rep it and you're done.

Flat bench of course, you can throw in Incline and DB flys using the same theory if you'd like.

Unfortunately this will only work for 2 months or so. I'm having a hard time getting away from this format and it's actually taking my max down, so I'm going back to the format you are doing now before coming back to it. Good luck.

vCash
    how many carbs and fat? Carbs make you grow people always want to keep carbs low.

Remember you are 21 and you will start filling out in the next couple of years. Cant rush mother nature.

I think you are over training. Chest is not a big muscle. Save those works out for back or legs

vCash
    Thanks man, that's exactly what I was looking for actually in terms of how to target my chest while benching.

And as for the routine I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Should I do that drop set only once though?

vCash
    Usually anywhere from 350-400gs of carbs. But I do try and keep it lean, so mostly vegis, fruits, and whole wheats. My fat intake is between 150-200gs.

But I do think you're right that I'm probably over training a bit. I'm going to cut down my chest days a bit.

vCash
    Not that its relevant to your post, but it looks like you are consuming 4000-4500 calories based on what you have said.
    COME VISIT THE PSD FITNESS FORUM!!![/B][/CENTER]

vCash
    I'd love to be able to eat 4000 cals a day but I don't think I'd be able to keep it down lol. I meant 100-150g of fat though, my mistake, and on the norm closer to 100gs. My protein intake is at 300 daily, and my carbs are 350-400gs normally. I'd be lying if I said I got everyone of those carbs in daily though. When I'm pressed for time it may be closer to 300, but that doesn't happen often. I could have been doing my math wrong for my caloric intake though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehrig4 View Post
    Thanks man, that's exactly what I was looking for actually in terms of how to target my chest while benching.

And as for the routine I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Should I do that drop set only once though?
    When I'm dropping I do each weight for one set, yes.

vCash
    How's it working for you?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebirth67 View Post
    How's it working for you?
    It went pretty well man thanks! I first tried a set the way I was benching before and I was locking my elbows at 90 degrees exactly like that video says you shouldn't do lol. When I adjusted my elbows though and arched my back a little more I felt a difference in my chest and less of a strain on my shoulders. It took awhile to get used to the new form though.

Plus I did your dropset and I liked the burn in my chest a lot more too. I think it will make a big difference from this point on.

vCash
    You'll have to switch back once you plateu of course. But I'm glad it worked out for you! I always feel a little weird because it SORT OF looks like those kids that put a huge arch in their back but it's only a slight arch. Try to tighten your abs while you do it (at least with the lighter weight). You can also opt for one burn out set at your lightest weight followed by one burn out set of the same with a wide grip, then tell me how ya feel lol

vCash
    hahaha I know! When I first watched the video I was like, WOW that guy has a huge arch going on. But it really ends up only being a slight arch. I'll try tightening my abs a little more next chest workout, and I'll actually go light at first just to keep on trying to get the form down. I can feel myself trying to revert back to the old way lol. I did see a little bit more of a pump too which I liked.

vCash
    If you keep you butt down on the bench then the arch will be fine. Flakey could better tell you the benefits of a particular form.