Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Exertion Headaches

Gents, wanted to get some feedback on this. On Wednesday I was finishing up my last set of squats (was going pretty heavy) when I noticed a pretty bad headache kick in. I don't think I've ever had a migraine so not much to compare it to, but it was painful. Anyways, powered thru my workout and was hoping it be gone the next day.

Hit the gym the following day and basically the same thing happened almost immediately. Wasn't as severe but was still very noticeable. I did a little online searching when I got home and it seems like a lot of people have dealt w this before, even possibly diagnosing this as an 'exertion headache'.

Have any of you guys experienced or heard of this before? If so, any suggestions? Taking the rest of the week off but was hoping to get back at it next week..

"Last year, we earned respect, but this year we want fear. We want quarterbacks to fear us, and we want offensive lines to fear us." --Ndamokung Suh

vCash
    See a doctor. A few things just came to mind.

1. You could be dehydrated?- I know we all say we drink enough water but I doubt we do.

2. How much caffeine are you consuming?

3. Are you taking supplements? - most/ some products are not good for you. If you take to much/ to often/ ext.. it can cause these effects. Example- I would get bad headaches years ago from a product called HMB.

4. Have you been sleeping well lately?

5. Do you work night shifts?

I would drink lots of water, stop taking supplements, cut down of any stimulants/ caffeine, try go lighter at gym, get more sleep and talk to you doctor. IMO

LARRY BIRD
    NBA WORLD CHAMPION 1981,1984,1986

" The greatest basketball player and mind of all time. "

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Fan View Post
    See a doctor. A few things just came to mind.

1. You could be dehydrated?- I know we all say we drink enough water but I doubt we do.

I doubt it really - I'm pretty religious about drinking several bottles of water throughout the day.

2. How much caffeine are you consuming?

Typically around 3-4 cups of coffee in the morning. Generally nothing in the afternoon.

3. Are you taking supplements? - most/ some products are not good for you. If you take to much/ to often/ ext.. it can cause these effects. Example- I would get bad headaches years ago from a product called HMB.

Basically only taking protein & multis (Orange Triad)

4. Have you been sleeping well lately?

No issues. Usually get around 6 hours of sleep throughout the week.

5. Do you work night shifts?

Nope, general work day goes from 7am-5pm

I would drink lots of water, stop taking supplements, cut down of any stimulants/ caffeine, try go lighter at gym, get more sleep and talk to you doctor. IMO
    Answers are bolded.

"Last year, we earned respect, but this year we want fear. We want quarterbacks to fear us, and we want offensive lines to fear us." --Ndamokung Suh

vCash
    are they lasting all day?

Your blood pressure goes way up when doing heavy lifts, especially a squat. Whether you used a partial or full valsalva, you are holding your breath and increasing your abdominal/thoracic pressure. This is pretty common though and unless its really hurting or lasting until the next day, you should probably seek medical attention

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BKdoubleStacker View Post
    are they lasting all day?

Your blood pressure goes way up when doing heavy lifts, especially a squat. Whether you used a partial or full valsalva, you are holding your breath and increasing your abdominal/thoracic pressure. This is pretty common though and unless its really hurting or lasting until the next day, you should probably seek medical attention
    Naw man, typically seems to only happen during my lifts. I had a little lingering affect the following day, but after taking 2 days off it seems like it's basically gone.

Everytime I go for a check up my BP is typically high as is (thanks, genetics) so maybe this is just intensifying it when lifting heavy.

I'm thinking maybe it be a good thing to switch my exercises to more bodyweight/low weight, high rep routines? I definitely do not want to give up lifting.

vCash
    I think you should be fine, again you should ask your doctor just to make sure you dont have any underlying heart or pulmonary conditions.

vCash
    Will do. My Aunt's a nurse so I'm going to run it by her and see what she thinks. This is the first time something like this has ever happened to me & I've been lifting for nearly over 10 years now - almost think it's an outlier and not a serious problem.

vCash
    Does anyone have any good workout routines for bodyweight/high rep, low weight?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by levignjw View Post
    Will do. My Aunt's a nurse so I'm going to run it by her and see what she thinks. This is the first time something like this has ever happened to me & I've been lifting for nearly over 10 years now - almost think it's an outlier and not a serious problem.
    I would still speak to the doctor. Just so you feel completly safe. I would also look at your diet. Unsure of what that is, but with " BP is typically high " you always want to address it.

I would do the following.

1. Speak to doctor.
    2. Workout with less weight- More reps.
    3. Look hard at diet- Really look at everything im eating.
    4. Look at adding more cardio- It helps with blood flow. Which could help.

Also whats your BMI? How big guy are you? You might be carrying to much weight.

Example- Im med frame guy. I lack a large bone structure. But I have great strength, long limbs and great recovery ability. I also have low very low RHR. But I don't do well carrying extra weight.

Also- have you had any head issues- Meaning in the past 1-2 months any hits to head? Playing around, fighting, Boxing, ext...

Anyway feel better man.

LARRY BIRD
    NBA WORLD CHAMPION 1981,1984,1986

" The greatest basketball player and mind of all time. "

vCash
    I get them occasionally. Nothing much you can do about it. I take excedrine Migraine to cope.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    i get one when i dont drink enough water. If im dehydrated im gonna get a headache for sure
    Limitations are for people that have them, and excuses are for people that need them.

vCash
    Had some bad headaches after heavy lifting. I just took a advil before hand

vCash
    Thanks guys.

I've been using Lyle McDonald's bulking routine for a couple months now (http://www.jcdfitness.com/2009/01/ly...lking-routine/). Think I can just adjust the lower the weight and adjust the reps to 12-15 on most exercises if I wanted to go the higher rep route? Or if anyone else has a routine they'd recommend I'm all ears.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goldglove212 View Post
    i get one when i dont drink enough water. If im dehydrated im gonna get a headache for sure
    same with me.

I actually know someone who kept getting headaches and they didn't know why, and then they found out his neck wasn't aligned right with his back, so a chiropractor had to fix him. I doubt that's whats wrong though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    same with me.

I actually know someone who kept getting headaches and they didn't know why, and then they found out his neck wasn't aligned right with his back, so a chiropractor had to fix him. I doubt that's whats wrong though.
    That doesn’t sound too far-fetched cause I had to go see a chiropractor a few months back to get a little work done on my neck after a car accident I was in.

I don’t think that’s the root cause here though – typically my blood pressure is on the higher side so I’m assuming that may be playing a role. Going to check with my doctor next Tuesday to get their input though.

Haven’t had any issues with them this week which is good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast