Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    He's missed less games then a lot of players on this team in the same span. And he played threw the injury. Give him some credit. Do I think he's soft yes but there's different types of players he's not a big body grinder. Would you call Gretzky soft no but Gretzky didn't want to get hit. My opinion of him threw these playoffs changed once I found out he played hurt. And if he had just shut it down after he got hurt the rangers wouldn't have got out of the second round.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    Gaborik can't win eh, if he goes down with the injury he's a wimp, if he plays with it and doesn't produce he sucks. I applaud him for not giving up during playoffs. I had a blown shoulder and I could barely lift the hockey stick let alone get into a corner with people trying to put you through the boards. Hopefully he recovers fully, we need him.
    Listen, I'm not calling him a wimp or a sissy, just pointing out the fact that he gets injured all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVVuKlcNJYA

He was banged up this season. He'll be banged up to start next season. He was banged up last season and put up crap production. He got banged up towards the end of his first season here. He was injured all the time back in Minny. If you do the math you figure he's got about a 20% chance of being healthy when the playoffs roll around each year.

He's a great player but he's one of those guys that's constantly injured. There's no denying that.

vCash
    Just to be clear, playing games DOES NOT mean you're healthy. He played in the playoffs but was obviously injured for almost all the games.

vCash
    Well, that's part of professional sports, in particular the more physical ones like hockey. Few of these guys are ever at 100%.

And you can talk about Gaborik being injury prone all you want from earlier in his career, but those were all leg injuries which he put surgery off on for years and has been no issue since he had the surgery.

He missed 20 games between a concussion and a shoulder separation in 10-11. Other than that, he's missed 5 or 6 games all while scoring 105 goals and 210 points. And just because a guy struggles on the postseason one year or for a while doesn't mean that will always be the case.

And let's not forget, he had a great series against OTT, and was great for MIN back in '03. I'm cool with him moving forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr1980 View Post
    Well, that's part of professional sports, in particular the more physical ones like hockey. Few of these guys are ever at 100%.

And you can talk about Gaborik being injury prone all you want from earlier in his career, but those were all leg injuries which he put surgery off on for years and has been no issue since he had the surgery.

He missed 20 games between a concussion and a shoulder separation in 10-11. Other than that, he's missed 5 or 6 games all while scoring 105 goals and 210 points. And just because a guy struggles on the postseason one year or for a while doesn't mean that will always be the case.

And let's not forget, he had a great series against OTT, and was great for MIN back in '03. I'm cool with him moving forward.
    Oh, he only missed 20 games in 10-11? Well, he missed zero games in the postseason so I guess he must have been completely healthy, right?

vCash
    No, he wasn't. And we know that now. Guys get hurt, you play through it as best you can, and sometimes your production suffers. Half the team was probably playing through something. And he's not the only one who had a subpar playoff or series vs. NJ. You win and lose as a team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr1980 View Post
    No, he wasn't. And we know that now. Guys get hurt, you play through it as best you can, and sometimes your production suffers. Half the team was probably playing through something. And he's not the only one who had a subpar playoff or series vs. NJ. You win and lose as a team.
    And I agree with that but it still doesn't change anything about Gaborik being extremely injury prone.

vCash
    20 or so games over 3 seasons is hardly representative of using the words "constantly" or "extremely" to describe the frequency of his injuries since becoming a Ranger.

Part of his history also lies in the fact that he's a great player and that puts a target on his back. He's constantly got a body on him and plays shift after shift against the other teams best pair or top defense unit. Yet he's managed 105 goals over 220 games as a Ranger. Not too many guys in the league give you that production.

vCash
    I respect him for playing with it. Not his fault he got injured... sucks for us though. Now we badly need another big-time forward.

vCash
    Hes not soft, hes fragile. He still went to the net, kinda stayed out of corners but I don't blame him, he was banged up and still gave what he had in the tank. It doesn't matter if its the same injury or not but he gets injured often, other guys that remind me of that Martin Havlat (usually gets banged up in the season) Ryan Kessler (has been injured in or for the playoffs last 2 seasons, played through it) Tyler Hall (has had big injuries in first 2 seasons of the league).

The speed of the game and the size of the players in the last 10 years have increased which is going to make injuries increase. But when the same players constantly get hurt doesnt mean they are soft, means they are fragile or molded from the same piece of glass as the others. Soft is that basketball player that got wheeled off the court cause he hurt his shoulder (only follow hockey, just remembered it happening Im sure some you guys know who he is).

vCash
    I understand everyone's concern with Gaborik's health, but you have to look at this from a very bright side. This guy didn't miss one game this season and he has never done that before in his career so give him credit. He played 102 straight, two seven-game series in a row, and a six game series afterwards. He still put it through to play those games no matter what. Now, I've never suffered a torn rotator cuff, but I would assume that trying to put up those shots that he put up weren't the most enjoyable thing to do, but he still did it for the team. Him being able to do that, to me, is mind-blowingly astonishing and actually brightens his durability. I think he set himself the goal to not miss a game, and will hopefully bring the same mentality next season and do even better.

As much as I would have loved to see this team in the finals instead of the Devils, next season they will go in prepared and know what's expected. Kreider is going to explode (understatement), the young guys will improve even more, and the vets who haven't seen playoff hockey (Gaborik and Richards) in a while will have shaken off the cobb webs and be prepared. That will be my ideal season and hopefully they can make what happened during the first half of this season go all year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12