Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NeelyforPres View Post
    What they can do (I can't take credit this was not my idea):

Trade him to a team who needs to get to the salary floor. Boom.
    Why would a team want to take on a dead weight salary for 5 million when they could just sign a good player for that amount of money unless they were purely cheap (because I doubt Thomas gets paid for his sabatical)

I think if the Bruins gave a decent draft pick with him they could move his contract

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    Why would a team want to take on a dead weight salary for 5 million when they could just sign a good player for that amount of money unless they were purely cheap (because I doubt Thomas gets paid for his sabatical)

I think if the Bruins gave a decent draft pick with him they could move his contract
    If you have a team that needs to reach the floor why wouldn't you? If he comes back then he plays for you, if he doesn't you don't suspend him and use his cap hit to reach your floor.

Non~Bruins Watch
    Filip Forsberg
    22GP / 10G / 13A / 1.04PPG / +19

vCash
    For a team that has an owner mandated cap, he actually saves the team 2 million

His cap hit is 5

he is actually paid 3

A team like Columbus or Phoenix or the isles

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bleedB&G View Post
    For a team that has an owner mandated cap, he actually saves the team 2 million

His cap hit is 5

he is actually paid 3

A team like Columbus or Phoenix or the isles
    The main reason is i just don't see teams being that cheap.

There are really no examples of teams taking on contracts of guys who are not going to play for them but will save them money.

Imagine the anger of a fanbase of a team who did that.

vCash
    http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston...0&feedID=10428

Wow. Just wow. He's weirder than Bryz. Now I hope he never plays for us.

"I grew up in hockey, and I appreciate the game and respect the game, and I want to play in a place where it matters." - Soupy

vCash
    Bleacher Report is saying that TT said of FB that he is definitely taking the year off

After Hours album out 4/29

When you're having fun... Timeflies

vCash
    Thomas officially done...time to trade him to a team who needs to get to the cap floor or can we stick in him the AHL? Whatever Thomas...you will forever be remembered for being a *****, not for the goalie who brought a title to Boston...congrats to you
    PSD Bruins Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2010

Boston Bruins Style

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyras View Post
    Thomas officially done...time to trade him to a team who needs to get to the cap floor or can we stick in him the AHL? Whatever Thomas...you will forever be remembered for being a *****, not for the goalie who brought a title to Boston...congrats to you
    If you did move him to another team to help them reach the cap floor what could you honestly get? The guy isn't playing this season (may never play again), I mean a pick in rounds 5-7 or a bottom of the barrel prospect?

I hope whoever is our back up next year wears #30. **** I hope they see if Tuukka wants to wear it, I mean he did wear #30 throughout his career before coming to Boston.
    Last edited by OneManIsNoMan; 06-03-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Non~Bruins Watch
    Filip Forsberg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyras View Post
    of course he has a one way contract so i don't know if putting him in the AHL will relieve the cap hit or not. certainly hope so.

vCash
    Moving him to the AHL will not relieve his cap hit.

He has a 35+ contract

vCash
    Moving him to the AHL will not relieve his cap hit.

He has a 35+ contract
    Ya I think the only way the B's get out of this one is if they find someone who just needs to cap hit. IIRC even if he retires his cap hit counts against the B's right?

Non~Bruins Watch
    Filip Forsberg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OneManIsNoMan View Post
    Ya I think the only way the B's get out of this one is if they find someone who just needs to cap hit. IIRC even if he retires his cap hit counts against the B's right?
    Yeah, even if he retires it still counts against us. It's that over 35 when given a contract ********.

So, only things that could save us are another team needing to get to the floor and willing to trade--in which we probably get nothing (but, cap space is useful). Or if the new CBA somehow bails us out, though I find that unlikely.

vCash

It's not really being cheap as much as it is that some of these teams can't reel in UFAs. It's not so easy to just offer a big contract and the player says, 'ok'. How many free agents would want to play in a place like columbus or winnipeg for $1 mil more then playing in a place like Dertoit or New York? There's a lot more to signing a contract than money. Look at Suter. He wants to potentially sign his next contract and stay with that team until he retires. He's thinking about his family and living conditions.

So, with that being said, some of these teams can throw money at players and never sign anyone. So, after that frustration, there's the oddball chance of making the cap floor and adding $5 mil to your cap. I believe a few teams will strongly consider this.

Bad news for Boston is that if it were to happen, it probably won't happen until mid-end of July or August. By that point the B's are screwed for signing any bigger UFA or retaining their own FAs...

vCash
    It's not really being cheap as much as it is that some of these teams can't reel in UFAs. It's not so easy to just offer a big contract and the player says, 'ok'. How many free agents would want to play in a place like columbus or winnipeg for $1 mil more then playing in a place like Dertoit or New York? There's a lot more to signing a contract than money. Look at Suter. He wants to potentially sign his next contract and stay with that team until he retires. He's thinking about his family and living conditions.
    This is all very well and good but why would Columbus just not trade for a contract of someone who can at least make their roster (Mike Komisarek for example).

Or the better idea, they could just overpay someone by 1-2 million on a one year deal. I'd rather give David Jones 1 year 5 million than get Thomas for nothing

vCash
    This is all very well and good but why would Columbus just not trade for a contract of someone who can at least make their roster (Mike Komisarek for example).

Or the better idea, they could just overpay someone by 1-2 million on a one year deal. I'd rather give David Jones 1 year 5 million than get Thomas for nothing
    My thought is that they can't trade for someone like that. Maybe they don't have the assets or aren't willing to give up enough for that player. Also, they could trade for nothing like when we sent Sturm to LA. Give up nothing, get a cap hit to make the floor, possibly try and convince Thomas to play.

And overpaying goes back to what I said before. Maybe Jones has 5 offers and he'd rather take less money to go somewhere other than CBJ.

Just an idea, I'm not trying to shut you out or anything.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast