Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 31 of 68 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I think Ackley gets another full season at 2b no questions asked and then you reassess next offseason.

vCash
    Gabriel Guerrero.
    You’re going to get some press when your uncle is Vladimir Guerrero but with Gabriel the attention is warranted for his own abilities on the field. He’s raw but projectable and should add strength to his slender frame, which could help his power blossom. He already shows a quick bat and makes solid contact. Like his uncle, the young hitter is aggressive — although not to the same crazy degree. The 19-year-old prospect opened the 2012 season in the Dominican Summer League and hit .355 with 11 home runs. That earned him a late promotion to the Arizona League for his first taste of North American ball. He again hit more than .300 and added four long balls in 18 games. Guerrero won’t reach Seattle any time soon but his ceiling is perhaps higher than any bat in the system.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...pects-2012-13/

vCash
    Brodie, what are you reassessing?

He's a plus 2B. I don't see an ounce of upside in moving him.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Well if he blows again in 2013 (I predict the opposite), it may make sense to put your best second baseman at second base.

vCash
    Then who do you put at 3B?

You may as well just cut Ackley at that point.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    Brodie, what are you reassessing?

He's a plus 2B. I don't see an ounce of upside in moving him.
    Reassess the situation I guess.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle4Ever View Post
    Reassess the situation I guess.
    So, see if he should be in the majors? Because moving him to left does nothing except hurt his value.
    I'm In.

vCash
    What it could do is simply readjust his head and his comfort... making a player change positions can do a number on them psychologically... think about what that did to Figgins. I mean we don't know for sure that changing positions was the reason for Figgins' decline, but how often have we seen a player benefit offensively from a defensive switch? Usually it hurts them (Figgins and Lopez are two easy and recent examples). We made Ackley switch to 2B, and he has since been lackluster with his bat. I'm saying that maybe a switch back to LF is just what he needs to get his comfort level back, and get his bat going again. It would be awesome if he comes to life on offense this season, and if he does then yeah, no questions asked he stays there. But its not like he doesn't profile well in LF... we would be fools to think he shouldn't play there, especially if we have competent guys who can play 2B as well, plus bring as good, or a better bat.
    Last edited by CamraMaan; 12-22-2012 at 12:31 AM.

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

vCash
    You say a position change hurts, but you want to change his position again? It may be a change back, but it's still a change. I dont think playing 2nd is hard on him or anything. He learned quickly, and is great there.

He hasn't played OF for a long time. I don't know if he would even be more comfortable there. He would have to spend time readjusting, instead of focusing on hitting. It's not like he still has a ton of work to do at 2nd.

Plus the move would happen in a year or two, so by that time he will be a 100% 2nd baseman. He won't have played OF since college, and not even in his last year of college. If Miller and Franklin force the issue, then move one of them to OF. Millers bat profiles great as CF if he can handle it.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    You say a position change hurts, but you want to change his position again? It may be a change back, but it's still a change. I dont think playing 2nd is hard on him or anything. He learned quickly, and is great there.

He hasn't played OF for a long time. I don't know if he would even be more comfortable there. He would have to spend time readjusting, instead of focusing on hitting. It's not like he still has a ton of work to do at 2nd.

Plus the move would happen in a year or two, so by that time he will be a 100% 2nd baseman. He won't have played OF since college, and not even in his last year of college. If Miller and Franklin force the issue, then move one of them to OF. Millers bat profiles great as CF if he can handle it.
    Learning a position is the hard part... it takes time, it takes focus... changing isn't the hard part if you already know how to play there. Miller will not be a serviceable CFer...

Again, Ackley's bat actually makes sense in LF. Sure, it makes sense at 2B as well. But its not like moving him to LF would hurt us in the lineup. I seriously don't believe that is true. No, he may not be a 25+ HR guy, but there were only 8 MLB guys who primarily started in LF who hit 25+ HRs last year. Of the 10 total players who hit 25+ HRs and qualify in LF, only five of them had a .270+ AVG. Do I prefer Ackley's bat at 2B? Of course. But if he's still not cutting it half way through next year (on offense), seriously, try him in LF for a bit. I mean he knows how to play the damn position, and it just might be the trick to getting him on track. Managers know that with young kids sometimes you have to mix it up for them to get them out of a rut.
    Last edited by CamraMaan; 12-22-2012 at 04:11 AM.

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

vCash
    I'm a firm believer that the whole position change affecting offense is 100% ********.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Then who do you put at 3B?

You may as well just cut Ackley at that point.
    HAHA. Holy over dramatic reaction Batman.

vCash
    So, see if he should be in the majors? Because moving him to left does nothing except hurt his value.
    No it doesn't. It re-prioritizes his importance within the org, as well as increases the value of another player. It also could potentially increase his value in a trade due to more flexibility. He may turn out to be a gold glove left fielder ala Alex Gordon.

Again though, I think he'll hit and this will not ever be an issue.

vCash
    I'm a firm believer that the whole position change affecting offense is 100% ********.
    I agree mentally. Some positions do take more of a physical toll on the body though, which I'm sure you would agree with.

vCash
    I think a position change can affect someone at the plate but it's a weak excuse.

It has a greater chance of making an impact if ur a younger player than if you are a 10yr vet and make a position change. Last offseason the emphasis for ackley was being ready at 2b, everyone believed his bat was ready, he was sacrificing reps/ preparation at the plate as he was learning a new position.

Page 31 of 68 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast