Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 68 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    vCash
    A 20/20 SS is the best SS in the AL. If that is your expectation, you will most likely be disappointed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CamraMaan View Post
    I'm trying to say that I'm not sure Franklin is the third best prospect in our system, namely because of Miller and Romero (and I'm purposely leaving Zunino out of the conversation). But Miller and Romero lack the ABs and media coverage for fans to see that they may indeed be the better talents overall. But just because people aren't talking about it yet, it doesn't mean it isn't true.

So what I said above is that you can look at this two ways, the main difference being where Franklin gets ranked overall... 35th or worse. One way you can look at it is that Romero and Miller are appropriately rated/ranked, and that Franklin is being overrated... or you can think of it that Franklin is being appropriately rated/ranked, and that Miller and Romero are being underrated. Either way, I think Franklin should maybe be below both of them on the list. But ultimately I'm just throwing this out there for people to start thinking about... we won't know the answer to this for years...

Tell me, where has Franklin looked like a 20/20 guy (or better) anywhere except for when he was in Clinton...? He was young, but it was still just A ball... in the last year and a half he's been riding the wave of what he did in A ball, and hasn't been able to replicate it since. He's now 21, third full season in the league, and we're all still waiting for him to do that again. But don't get me wrong, I still love his bat, as I think he can be a great doubles hitter with some HR pop, and a good AVG, albeit with an average glove. I'll happily take that!! But does that make him as good as everyone currently expects...? I think not... I think everyone is still hoping for more.
    The difference is Franklin will most likely stick at SS, whereas Miller may not, and Romero plays 3B already.
    Plus, This was Millers first full year. Franklin had produced before, whereas no one knew what to expect from miller. Romero had last year in Clinton, but that's one year at a low level.
    If you loom at Sickels grades, I believe Franklin and Miller are both Bs, Miller is just ranked higher on the list.

Franklin won't hit 20 in the Bigs. Maybe 15. His power that year was a fluke.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Franklin had a freak injury last season i would still rank him as our 3rd best prospect maybe 4th depending on how Zunino does.

If he hits 15 HR's with a .280-.300 Average that's a All Star type player at SS.

vCash
    I don't think his power was a fluke, it's just that everyone mashes in that ballpark. He also lead the league and broke the team record. You have to compare him to his peers. He could very well hit 20 bombs one day in the big leagues, but that would probably be one of his best seasons. Then again the kid is 21 years old, we don't know how he's going to fill out. No one expected Seager to be muscling balls out of center field at Safeco. If we end up with a guy who can pick it at short, get on base, and square some balls up we've hit a homerun.
    Last edited by FWBrodie; 07-08-2012 at 07:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FWBrodie View Post
    I don't think his power was a fluke, it's just that everyone mashes in that ballpark. He also lead the league and broke the team record. You have to compare him to his peers. He could very well hit 20 bombs one day in the big leagues, but that would probably be one of his best seasons. Then again the kid is 21 years old, we don't know how he's going to fill out. No one expected Seager to be muscling balls out of center field at Safeco. If we end up with a guy who can pick it at short, get on base, and make good hard contact we've hit a homerun.
    This, especially since we were getting criticized for taking him in the 1st round by guys like Keith Law who never thought he would fill out.

vCash
    Anyone else watch Hultzen and Walker pitch today? Walker is filling out, man. Rick Sutcliffe just about pulled his pants down and rubbed one out when he saw Walker pitch. He was sitting 97 with the heater, 91 change, and featured a big old curveball. Looked real good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NateyB24 View Post
    This, especially since we were getting criticized for taking him in the 1st round by guys like Keith Law who never thought he would fill out.
    ARTICLE FROM SOUTHERN LEAGUE JUNE 15, 2012:
    JACKSON, TENN. (JUNE 15, 2012) - The Southern League announced today that Generals' shortstop Nick Franklin has been named the Topps Southern League Player of the Month for May, an award voted upon by Southern League Field managers. Franklin is the Jackson's first recipient of the honor since Mike Wilson in June of 2008.

Franklin led the Southern League with a .394 average (28-for-71), which ranked eighth in all of Minor League Baseball in May. He also led the league with a .457 on-base percentage and a .648 slugging percentage, adding up to a 1.105 OPS (on-base plus slugging) that was good for second in Double A.

Particularly devastating at Pringles Park, Franklin recorded a hit in all 10 home games in which he had a plate appearance during May. During that span, the switch-hitting Franklin batted .472 (17-for-36) with nine extra-base hits.
    Last edited by baseball2day; 07-08-2012 at 10:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FWBrodie View Post
    Anyone else watch Hultzen and Walker pitch today? Walker is filling out, man. Rick Sutcliffe just about pulled his pants down and rubbed one out when he saw Walker pitch. He was sitting 97 with the heater, 91 change, and featured a big old curveball. Looked real good.
    I watched Walker's inning.

He's a beast. Sutcliffe totally wants to S his D.

vCash
    I saw Tai, not Danny tho.

vCash
    The 91 had to be a some type of seam fastball because no way was that a changeup it had no break to it to straight for it to be a changeup.

They were both good though Hultzen had 2 weak grounders get out of the infield only allowed 1 run.

I always hate when they go back and slow down a pitchers release because it looks so painful the way there arm just recoils.

vCash
    Some people throw straight changes. 2 seams usually have break too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Some people throw straight changes. 2 seams usually have break too.
    It was a 2 seam according to Churchill the analyst on TV got it wrong.

vCash
    That thing is going to get crushed then. 5 mph slower than his normal FB with no movement? Home run.

vCash
    That thing is going to get crushed then. 5 mph slower than his normal FB with no movement? Home run.
    Ya he needs some more seasoning his Fastball and Curveball are his 2 best pitches.

vCash
    I don't really think you'd pick up the movement of a 2-seamer over TV unless you were really focusing hard.

Page 16 of 68 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast