Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Since we're trashin' Burkie I'm joining in . I just don't like what he's been able to accomplish so far. But what I really can't stand is his mouth. Before the Kessel deal he acquires his 2nd round pick back from whoever, Chicago maybe? Anyways that's beside the point, he got the pick back. I remember in an interview he did before the trade he was asked "have you made an offer sheet to Phil?" He replies "no we haven't at this time." Later on in his tenure he was asked about offer sheets and he said he would consider them if he gave the other teams GM a heads up and enough time to try and work things out with the specific player first. Later on in his tenure he's asked the same question and says he has no idea where the media got that idea and that he's never going to and never would consider an offer sheet. He's just tripping and falling all over his own words there.

Last offseason and at the beginning of this season he's constantly asked about the goaltending situation. He replies, Reimer's the real deal blah blah truculence blah blah pugnacity blah blah. Then says if we end up needing to go out and get a goaltender we'll do it. We have the assets to do it and we will if need be. Made it sound like we'd get a goalie at the flip of a switch. Later on at the year end presser he's sitting up there saying he tried to. But couldn't.

What irked me at the year end presser, and I'm not a Ron Wilson fan at all, but he says the reason he made bad personelle decisions and the reason why we're small basically is because he's building the team for Ron Wilson. Ron Wilson gets fired and now all of a sudden that Carlyle's in here he says he's going to start building the team his way. I mean way to throw your freakin buddy under the bus. I couldn't believe that.

Ruins any chance of us trading for John Tavares by saying weeks before the draft he was going to. Then when he doesn't make the deal(if he could) says he coulda made the deal but wouldn't put Luke Schenn in the deal. So now he looks even more brilliant. I don't know if gettin JT was a possibility or not who knows probably not. But this is Burke opening up his big yap again.

When the media calls him out on the issues he created he'll call them dirtbags and hang up the phone lol. I mean you really think you shouldn't have to give direct answeres for the mess you created or couldn't clean up? And all this is without even getting into his damn FA signings. I mean hell I'd be alot more happier today if we were still this bad but with a boatload of money to spend.

Then the dude gets into this damn media war. Calling newspapers and networks. Trying to get Ron and Don fired lol.

The guy is a smart man(even tho hockey wise that looks bleak right now) and he is a hell of a public speaker. He could go into a room with a bucket of crap and convince 3/4's of the room it's a bucket of gold. People are willing to give this guy a decade or more it seems just so they can say I told you so. They hang off his words like he's David Karesh. Burke might do a better job on a farm land in Waco then he's doing here.

Just because the Marlies are playing for the Calder Cup doesn't mean that's going to translate to any major success in the NHL. The NHL team hasn't improved one bit since he's been here for what 3 and 1/2 years? That's unacceptable. And don't bring up the Oilers and say "well they didn't improve." Look at the players they're getting. We suck and we don't even see any of that.

/end rant and no more monster Burke bashing. Atleast not till his next bonehead move or comment.
    Last edited by KingerSox; 05-31-2012 at 12:36 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    I have mentioned in many posts that the Leafs need a number 1 proven goalie to make the playoffs. If making the playoffs is all you want then you'll be happy if they get a number 1 goalie. Remember, Burke builds his teams from the net out. He's proven that in his tenure with the Leafs. I'm not content with just making the playoffs. Burke has been in charge long enough to have the goaltending situation solidified. Do you honestly think that the current group of forwards could handle the playoffs? The injury prone Army, Lombardi, Lupul, Connolly, Grabs would be out after the first game. I'll be happy with a number 1 goalie and a number 1 center who can handle the playoffs. Could you imagine the Leafs meeting the Flyers in the 1st round. The medical staff would be working OT after game 1
    Right, because Philly made it how far these playoffs again? Beating the crap out of other teams isn't always the best option. The Wings seem to do just fine and they don't have any real scary power forward types. Bertuzzi is no longer that type of player. Burke has attempted to fix the goalie situation and failed, not much to say there. He knows as much as anyone he needs a goalie, I doubt he goes after Luongo but Vokoun may be a good stop gap solution. Finding a number one center is a hell of a lot harder to do then people think. Other teams just aren't going to give those guys away. Again though, you can deflect the stats all you want but the fact remains the PK has been this teams biggest issue and if it's not fixed immediately it will continue to kill any chance at the playoffs. Worry about size up front later on. Another thing, a guy like say Wayne Simmonds is pretty damn hard to find. They don't grow on trees plain and simple. It's why Burke rolled the dice on Biggs. Problem is, lets say Burke goes out and gets guys like that, they people will whine about something else. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't fanbase.

vCash
    Holy taledo people went off on the Leo Komarov signs with Toronto thread haha.

Well I have my own opinions on Burke obviously, most of you covered all of them. While I agree that he has not done what he promised, he has made good moves too. It really all comes down to this off-season and next year... it's assured he will be fired if they do not perform up to par.

So while people bash him now, you won't have too in a few months when the season starts and the Leafs either start well and all looks good and then fall apart again. That'll be on him. The moves he makes this off-season, good or bad, determine the success of next season.

Pretty simple, if the Leafs make the playoffs next year and the team he puts on the ice is better, he will stay and probably be praised like no tomorrow. If he does in fact fail to make this team competitve, again, after promising he would, again, then he will be thrown out the door and someone else will come in to fix the mess.

He knows his fate. It happened with Wilson people were asking for his head for years, and then finally after so long of fans booing and the Leafs falling apart, it happened. Same will with Burke. You can count on it.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    Right, because Philly made it how far these playoffs again? Beating the crap out of other teams isn't always the best option. The Wings seem to do just fine and they don't have any real scary power forward types. Bertuzzi is no longer that type of player. Burke has attempted to fix the goalie situation and failed, not much to say there. He knows as much as anyone he needs a goalie, I doubt he goes after Luongo but Vokoun may be a good stop gap solution. Finding a number one center is a hell of a lot harder to do then people think. Other teams just aren't going to give those guys away. Again though, you can deflect the stats all you want but the fact remains the PK has been this teams biggest issue and if it's not fixed immediately it will continue to kill any chance at the playoffs. Worry about size up front later on. Another thing, a guy like say Wayne Simmonds is pretty damn hard to find. They don't grow on trees plain and simple. It's why Burke rolled the dice on Biggs. Problem is, lets say Burke goes out and gets guys like that, they people will whine about something else. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't fanbase.

Pretty much. He knows it, we all know it. It's how Toronto hockey is. Fans love to hate the Leafs, people love to hate the Leafs, sucking or improving (but obviously more sucking) the Leafs are a love/hate team.

It will never ever change. Even if they do improve and some day atop the Eastern Conference, people will criticize moves, trades and games... and people will love it all too.

How it has always been, and it won't ever change.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    The fans have become so to accustomed to losing for so long that complaining is going to be an awfully hard habit to kick lol. All jokes aside, it's going to take a long time for the smell to ware off. I wanted Burke gone a while ago obviously. But here's for atleast one more offseason and part of next seson baring results. Obviously if he can pull a miracle out of his *** this offseason and it turns into results he'll of bought a little more time with me but more importantly obviously the fan base/ownership. But right now it's unfair to critique those who do critique. Those people have a TON of warranted amo in that reguard and rightfully so. When you hold the longest playoff and Stanley Cup drought and consider yourself the "centre of the hockey universe" whatelse is there to honestly expect? If Man U went this long there'd be a war. Ditto for the Yankees. As far as hockey goes we're in that group. I'll jump off a bridge if the Cubs win a World Series before we win a Cup. Then we'll be in a class all by ourselves.

It's not a damned if you do, damned if you don't fan base either. Maybe a damned if you do, damned if you don't media. Winning will fix the fan base. It's works in any passionate sports market. The only way to change it is to win and I think that's pretty damn fair.
    Last edited by KingerSox; 05-31-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123