Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who would you rather sign after the season?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Andre Ethier

29 61.70%
  • Melky Cabrera

18 38.30%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    So, you're gonna discredit Ethier's season vs LHP of the BABIP but not mention Melky's BABIP being over .400? Ok...

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VRP723 View Post
    So, you're gonna discredit Ethier's season vs LHP of the BABIP but not mention Melky's BABIP being over .400? Ok...
    His stats vs lefties haven't been removed from the numbers posted, have they?

I am saying he isn't going to keep up his hitting against lefties. And Melky isn't going to keep up his average either. The conversation about him not being able to hit lefties is nothing more than a point. Statistically, these two are very even, and if I wanted one of these two in right field for one season, it would be a very close call. I give the edge to Cabrera based on the last 18 months of out-performing Ethier. Which he has. Not by a lot, but he has out-performed Ethier.

But this is certainly not a 'lol' thread or a joke, and Ethier doesn't win this by miles. This is a very good comparison.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    lol
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by CHRISDODGERS View Post
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I don't know that I see what is so funny
    Quote Originally Posted by LASPORTSFAN1996 View Post
    This Whole Thread. Ethier Wins This Hands Down.
    still feeling the same way

San Francisco Giants Trophy Wall

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by d79cheese View Post
    Yeah. I still don't see why all these Dodger fans were laughing when Ethier was compared to Cabrera.

I stand by my earlier comments

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ugadawgsfan17 View Post
    He's hitting 313 against LHP, 307 against RHP this season.

His stats vs lefties haven't been removed from the numbers posted, have they?

I am saying he isn't going to keep up his hitting against lefties. And Melky isn't going to keep up his average either. The conversation about him not being able to hit lefties is nothing more than a point. Statistically, these two are very even, and if I wanted one of these two in right field for one season, it would be a very close call. I give the edge to Cabrera based on the last 18 months of out-performing Ethier. Which he has. Not by a lot, but he has out-performed Ethier.

But this is certainly not a 'lol' thread or a joke, and Ethier doesn't win this by miles. This is a very good comparison.
    In Ethier's last 50 PA vs lefties.

He has lowered his slash line from
    .313/.378/.475
    to
    .237/.311/.356

From 82 PA to 132 PA

And 5 of those OBP positive Plate appearances are because he was hit by a pitch lol.

He has .125/.200/.188 since this above post vs lefties. And the .200 OBP is because he has been hit by another 2 pitches.

He can't hit lefties, he should be a platoon player. And he is treated like an everyday player and is paid like one.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 07-19-2012 at 07:31 PM.

vCash
    He's paid like the 3-4 win player that he is. You're so wrong about this platoon argument, I don't get why you're harping on it.

vCash
    That's awesome how confident Dodger fans are on this board.

Factoring overall value, durability and age, I'm taking lechero. It's also easier to make this decision if your including Either's current contract. Dodgers are overpaying him. Either's going to have to post better numbers in his 30's compared to his previous five to justify his new deal.

vCash
    He's paid like the 3-4 win player that he is. You're so wrong about this platoon argument, I don't get why you're harping on it.
    .900 OPS hitter vs righties
    .650 OPS hitter vs lefties

That isn't a platoon player?

He is only a 3 win player because he gets to play righties mainly and his defense is solid.

And he hasn't even reached 3 WAR yet according to rWAR (he is probably going to this year though) and he only reached 3 fWAR in 08 (3.5)

He is a platoon player. .900 OPS against one handed pitchers, and .650 OPS against the other. In what world is that not a platoon player? That's a worse platoon split than Johnny Gomes (.875 OPS against lefties, .750 against righties).

He has been more of a 2-3 win player thus far, and is getting paid 16 million a year.

Prepare, information is about WAR value per dollar below:

Outfielders each year average about a 280 fWAR per year (270-290 pretty well each year) and the total outfield payroll has been about 700 million on average for the last 4 years (708 last year for example).
    That's 2.5 million per WAR. Remember, the assumption that a 3 win player is worth 15 million depends on the position it relates to. Outfielders are closer to 2 million per WAR on average value right now.
    For 16 million a year, he needs to be a 5-6 win player with so many league min guys getting WAR values.
    If you eliminate them, you have about 180 fWAR for about 600 per year, and that's 3.33 million per WAR. Which would mean a 16 million dollar outfielder needs to be a 4-5 WAR player. And if you want to just make it right fielders, it's about 230 million for about 58 WAR and that is 4 million per WAR. He needs to be at least a 4 WAR player to make it worth it. And again, that's replacing all league min guys.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 07-20-2012 at 01:55 AM.

vCash
    .900 OPS hitter vs righties
    .650 OPS hitter vs lefties

That isn't a platoon player?

He is only a 3 win player because he gets to play righties mainly and his defense is solid.

And he hasn't even reached 3 WAR yet according to rWAR (he is probably going to this year though) and he only reached 3 fWAR in 08 (3.5)

He is a platoon player. .900 OPS against one handed pitchers, and .650 OPS against the other. In what world is that not a platoon player? That's a worse platoon split than Johnny Gomes (.875 OPS against lefties, .750 against righties).

He has been more of a 2-3 win player thus far, and is getting paid 16 million a year.

Prepare, information is about WAR value per dollar below:

Outfielders each year average about a 280 fWAR per year (270-290 pretty well each year) and the total outfield payroll has been about 700 million on average for the last 4 years (708 last year for example).
    That's 2.5 million per WAR. Remember, the assumption that a 3 win player is worth 15 million depends on the position it relates to. Outfielders are closer to 2 million per WAR on average value right now.
    For 16 million a year, he needs to be a 5-6 win player with so many league min guys getting WAR values.
    If you eliminate them, you have about 180 fWAR for about 600 per year, and that's 3.33 million per WAR. Which would mean a 16 million dollar outfielder needs to be a 4-5 WAR player. And if you want to just make it right fielders, it's about 230 million for about 58 WAR and that is 4 million per WAR. He needs to be at least a 4 WAR player to make it worth it. And again, that's replacing all league min guys.
    Can we still LOL at Giants fans for fun? They're huge homers since their WS...

PLLLLLLEEEEEAAASSSEEE!!!!

I think we should still LOL Giants fans.

vCash
    vs righties - .316/.389/.520
    vs lefties - .213/.278/.311

Career
    vs righties - .310/.386/.522
    vs lefties - .237/.298/.350

First season as a 3 WAR outfielder (Baseball-reference) is this season, and he hasn't had a .800 OPS since 2010.

I would sign Johnny Gomes and platoon Ethier. He can not hit lefties to save his life, not like he can hit righties at least.

vCash
    Should I just repeat what I repeat seemingly once a month when you bring this up. No one's arguing that. The point though is that even though Ethier probably should be sitting vs LHP, it doesn't mean his overall numbers are any less valuable.

vCash
    Should I just repeat what I repeat seemingly once a month when you bring this up. No one's arguing that. The point though is that even though Ethier probably should be sitting vs LHP, it doesn't mean his overall numbers are any less valuable.
    unless I'm mistaken, you have been saying this whole time that 'I'm wrong about this platoon argument'

Which is also literally what you said in that post that I quoted, which you said almost exactly a month ago.

And his overall numbers....well he still has not had a .800 OPS for the last two seasons.

vCash
    I think it's clear now...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by d79cheese View Post
    Yup

Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders.
    Fok Jelle Naiers

They`re = contraction of they are
    There = used to describe location
    Their = pronoun used to describe belonging
    Should've = contraction of should have