Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who would you rather sign after the season?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Andre Ethier

29 61.70%
  • Melky Cabrera

18 38.30%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Jeffy was spot on. Ethier is a platoon player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    unless I'm mistaken, you have been saying this whole time that 'I'm wrong about this platoon argument'

Which is also literally what you said in that post that I quoted, which you said almost exactly a month ago.

And his overall numbers....well he still has not had a .800 OPS for the last two seasons.
    You were and are wrong. I never said he shouldn't have less AB's against LHP, I said that just because he's a platoon player doesn't mean he's not a very good player. He's still worth 3-4 wins a season.

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash

vCash
    wth?

You ignore LITERALLY the next post where I agreed with that?

As long as that is the viewpoint, than I would say I can agree with a Dodgers fan in that sense

I think a competent GM could have done better by letting him go and getting someone else for next year and saving the money. But I don't know that saving the money would really matter to the Dodgers based on their new financial situation.

You have argued and argued with me about his platoon splits not mattering (or that he doesn't have a bad platoon split), including in this thread. Now you are brushing them off as not mattering since he gets enough PA against righties for them to not matter. Fine, glad you have come around, but don't act like this is what you were saying all this time.

You said this

Quote Originally Posted by VRP723 View Post
    You're so wrong about this platoon argument, I don't get why you're harping on it.
    just one month ago.

I have said for a long time that he should have a platoon partner in right like a Johnny Gomes to face lefties and let Ethier be the first bat off the bench in those starts. It has certainly seemed like you disagreed with that idea in the past. Maybe I don't remember correctly.

But you linked to a post, where I literally agreed with you in the next line, and you are saying I am wrong? I agreed with you! What have I been wrong about?

vCash
    I said you were wrong about it because you used it to weigh down his value which it doesn't. He's still a 3-4 win player. If he hit lefties he'd be better, no ****, but he doesn't, but he's still very good.

And to the "He can only hit RHP" comment, why does that take away from him? He's a premier bat vs RHP, he's not vs LHP. Overall his numbers still end up the same.

I said that over 2 months ago. What I meant you were "wrong" about, was using his splits to say he's a lesser player, when overall he's still what he is. I never once said he didn't have bad splits. I said that they didn't matter nearly as much as you made it seem.

vCash
    I said you were wrong about it because you used it to weigh down his value which it doesn't. He's still a 3-4 win player. If he hit lefties he'd be better, no ****, but he doesn't, but he's still very good.
    Where did I use it to weigh down his value?

All I said is the number of times he has reached 3-4 WAR, which he has only done once.

And to the "He can only hit RHP" comment, why does that take away from him? He's a premier bat vs RHP, he's not vs LHP. Overall his numbers still end up the same.
    His numbers would be a lot better if he didn't have to face lefties at all, and had a guy like Johnny Gomes to platoon with him and take away those negative plate appearances vs lefties.

I said that over 2 months ago. What I meant you were "wrong" about, was using his splits to say he's a lesser player, when overall he's still what he is. I never once said he didn't have bad splits. I said that they didn't matter nearly as much as you made it seem.
    I don't recall ever saying he was a lesser player. I do think he was overpaid since he is basically a platoon hitter (but since you face righties more than lefties he would still start 115 games and come off the bench a lot anyway)

vCash
    Where did I use it to weigh down his value?

All I said is the number of times he has reached 3-4 WAR, which he has only done once.

His numbers would be a lot better if he didn't have to face lefties at all, and had a guy like Johnny Gomes to platoon with him and take away those negative plate appearances vs lefties.

I don't recall ever saying he was a lesser player. I do think he was overpaid since he is basically a platoon hitter (but since you face righties more than lefties he would still start 115 games and come off the bench a lot anyway)
    "He is basically a platoon player" is diminishing his value. How do you not see that? Is he a player who might be better off platooning against tough lefties, probably, but he has a .875 OPS vs RHP consistently, and plays very good RF defense. There's a handful of players in the league that can do that.
    Last edited by VRP723; 08-24-2012 at 03:15 PM.

vCash
    "He is basically a platoon player" is diminishing his value. How do you not see that? Is he a player who might be better off platooning against tough lefties, probably, but he has a .875 OPS vs RHP consistently, and plays very good RF defense. There's a handful of players in the league that can do that.
    How does the fact he should be platooned change that? Remember when the Dodgers lost to the Giants 2-1? Guess who made the last out? Either. Guess who the Giants brought into face him? A lefty?

Someone who can bet lefties should have been subbed in and he should be platooned against lefties and pinched it for against righties late in the game.

vCash
    This thread seems funny now.

I'll pick Ethier just because he's allowed to still play right now.
    5>2

vCash
    i think either is the safe pick............
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LAFord View Post
    This thread seems funny now.

I'll pick Ethier just because he's allowed to still play right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    i think either is the safe pick............
    I think its safe to agree with these statements. Melky is more than likely done for good.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234