Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    sexicano31 Guest

Your Opinion on a Player not Hustling

This has been a topic in the Phillies forum lately thanks to Jimmy Rollins.

Example: Today he hit a popup in front of home plate. It was a ball SOMEONE should have been able to field. There was a cluster**** in front of the plate and Niese dropped the ball and Rollins ended up on first. He was then benched for not hustling out popup. If he had run out the popup, he would have possibly been caught in a run down between 1st and 2nd(note he was eventually thrown out in a rundown between 2nd and 3rd later in the inning.)

A few weeks ago, Rollins did not run out a groundball to the left side of the infield and something happened(cant really remember) and people got mad at him for not hustling. Note, this incident was during what would be considered a meaningless game (and to a lesser extent same with the other incident I mentioned).

So the question is, what is your view on a player not hustling in situations like the ones mentioned above? People keep making the argument that "hes getting paid $13mil a year." Should that matter when the MLB is a huge money making business?

I like players who don't hustle whenever possible, less chance of injury.

I think that players should run things out regardless because they get payed A LOT of money to do so, and you never know what can happen on a play with a bit of hustle

Drives me nuts.

You only control so much on the field of baseball, hustling is one of the easiest ones to control.

Of course, 162 games, it's hard to continue to hustle all the time.

sexicano31 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nirvana235 View Post
    I like players who don't hustle whenever possible, less chance of injury.
    Agreed. People didnt freak out when Thome didnt hustle on a groundball and they dont talk about when Rollins hustled on an inside the park home run that should have been a flyout
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBeardOfZeu View Post
    I think that players should run things out regardless because they get payed A LOT of money to do so, and you never know what can happen on a play with a bit of hustle
    They dont get paid that much money when comparing how much the MLB makes. Do you give 100% every day all day at your job?

sexicano31 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Drives me nuts.

You only control so much on the field of baseball, hustling is one of the easiest ones to control.

Of course, 162 games, it's hard to continue to hustle all the time.
    Even in a meaningless game with a guy who has a history with leg injuries?

Cano never hustles. Looks like he is day dreaming about Melky when running to 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by sexicano31 View Post
    Even in a meaningless game with a guy who has a history with leg injuries?
    There is no clock in baseball, so nothing in meaningless.

But sometimes, there is really just almost no chance.

Still, you should always hustle. There is a guy on the bench or in the minors that would be thrilled to play in that situation and would hustle if given that chance.

And as Joe DiMaggio said 'there might be a kid at a game for the first time, so I owe it to them to run my hardest on every play'

Yup, even in a meaningless game.

I can understand that you get tired, it's a long season, and the Phillies are out of it. But you should still be busting your *** as much as you humanely can.

sexicano31 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees 1903 View Post
    Cano never hustles. Looks like he is day dreaming about Melky when running to 1st.
    Hes so dreamy

Run it out. I don't care who you are, you don't just jog to first base. You run hard and play the game hard. Baseball is an athletic sport, what's the point in playing if you're not playing to the best of your ability?
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    There is no clock in baseball, so nothing in meaningless.

But sometimes, there is really just almost no chance.

Still, you should always hustle. There is a guy on the bench or in the minors that would be thrilled to play in that situation and would hustle if given that chance.

And as Joe DiMaggio said 'there might be a kid at a game for the first time, so I owe it to them to run my hardest on every play'

Yup, even in a meaningless game.

I can understand that you get tired, it's a long season, and the Phillies are out of it. But you should still be busting your *** as much as you humanely can.

sexicano31 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Run it out. I don't care who you are, you don't just jog to first base. You run hard and play the game hard. Baseball is an athletic sport, what's the point in playing if you're not playing to the best of your ability?
    Again, meaningless game. Teams out of contention, player with a history of leg injuries. Why does it matter?

It also seems to only be Rollins. No one seems to care if Thome, or Howard, or Utley, or Lee doesnt hustle. Just Rollins

I gain more respect for players who go all out and hustle. That's one of the things I love about Brett Lawrie

Cano has too much swag to hustle. Basically dares the Yankees to find someone who can take his spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees 1903 View Post
    He's so talented but doesn't exert any effort on the base paths. We call this out in almost every game together

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast