Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Ryan Kesler's agent fires back over Vigneault comments

Well, if history can repeat itself, and I hope in this case it does, we should start to see a split between player and coach with agent starting to lobby for a trade. lol. Good work AV for driving a wedge between yourself and your 2nd line C, and good work Kesler for trying to have it both ways. As Matt Sekeres and Blake Price just said on Team 1040, a player can't have it both ways: if you want to play through a shoulder injury like superman, then don't try to use it as an excuse for your bad play. And btw, as they also observed, Kesler was producing at a very low pace for weeks BEFORE the shoulder injury. Beginning of the end for Kesler in Vancouver? Hopefully, and hopefully he comes back strong, the Canucks give him prime opportunities like they did to Hodgson to drive up his value, and (unlike the Hodgson deal) hopefully they get some prime talent in return for him.

I have to admit I love this development. AV is back for another 3 years, so he won't be the one leaving if the relationship gets too dysfunctional.

Kurt Overhardt, the agent for Ryan Kesler clearly wasn't impressed by the comments of Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault regarding his client.

Vigneault, in a conference call on Wednesday after the Canucks announced a two-year extension for the coach, said Kesler's Feb. 9 shoulder labrum injury didn't affect his play.

“Obviously, Ryan had a shoulder issue and the decision was made at the end of the season to operate on that shoulder,” said Vigneault. “That being said, though, that was not, in our mind, the reason for his diminished production.

“I'm sure if you were to ask him, the injury wasn't the reason his production fell. His rehab and the way he stayed on top of that permitted him to play at the pace he was used to playing but for whatever reason, his performance slipped this year. We've got to get on top of that and we've got to get him back to where he was before that.”

Overhardt told The Province on Thursday: “I am not a doctor, I'm a lawyer, but after having conversations with the player and with the club, anyone who thinks this injury did not affect his play must have fallen off a turnip truck.”

Kesler, the Canucks' second-line centre, managed just four goals and 11 points in 28 regular season games after injuring his shoulder. He had three assists in five playoff games.

It's believed diagnostics showed the labrum in Kesler's shoulder was completely torn.

How this affects the relationship between Kesler, who can't have been pleased with the comments, and Vigneault has yet to play out.
    http://www.theprovince.com/business/...764/story.html

vCash
    This is pretty funny:

Alain Vigneault really knows how to make an entrance, I’ll give him that much. After going radio silent the minute the season ended, leaving many people wondering just what the heck was going on with the usually bombastic coach, Alain Vigneault has made a triumphant WWE style return, running through the crowds and metaphorically smacking the champion with a steel chair to let his presence be known.

Yesterday AV weighed in on a variety of subjects, most notably the fact that Luongo wants out (HERE) and that Ryan Kesler shouldn’t be using his shoulder injury as an excuse for a poor performance. Shockingly, the Canucks resident teenager with angst Ryan Kesler was apparently none too pleased to hear this. News1130 fills us in:

news1130 Ryan Keslers camp not happy with Vigneaults comments

Like I’ve always said, there is only room for one terribly informed fake doctor in this league, and that belongs to Dr. Mark Recchi, so I would have to agree with Overhardt on telling Dr. Vigneault to back off with the medical advice. And this isn’t the first time Vigneault has tried his hand at playing doctor. For those who don’t remember, Willie Mitchell once fractured a vertebrae in his back, leading to friction between the coach and player as Vigneault basically told Mitchell to suck it up and play through the pain. (History lesson HERE). Vigneault said it was a case of playing through pain, Mitchell said it was a case of being comfortable playing hockey again, which led to Dr. Vigneault coming across as kind of clueless when it comes to injuries to his players. Mitchell was none too pleased with that diagnosis either.

My buddy Thomas Drance reminded me today that David Booth might have come under the questioning eye of Vigneault, as Booth’s return from injury earlier this season may have tested the patience of the coaching staff.

And it doesn’t stop there, as Jason Botchford points out that Vigneault wasn’t even sure Daniel had a concussion last year. At least this time around Vigneault admits he learned a lesson about head injuries, but it’s a bit scary to think that it’s just now that Vigneault is learning that head injuries are hard to diagnose, with “Concussion” being the word of the year for the NHL last year.

On top of playing Doctor, this isn’t even the first time Vigneault has pissed off Ryan Kesler. If you recall, AV publicly called out Kesler this season, claiming he needed to use his linemates more. This lead to Kesler to respond by claiming “if he wants to say that he can come to me and talk to me about it.“

So to recap, on Tuesday, we were debating if Alex Burrows nickname should be “Burr” or the newly minted “Albu”, and a day later, AV has given us Luongo updates, Daniel Sedin medical history stories, and has probably pissed off Ryan Kesler. Admittedly, it probably isn’t that hard to piss off Ryan Kesler. I am pretty sure any time David Booth shoots the puck instead of passing it, Ryan Kesler rages inside. And I understand that sometimes you have to push your players and tell them things they might not want to hear to get them going and motivate them to play at a higher level. I just wonder if the off-season is really the time and the place to do this? Far be it from me to play coach, but it just seems like motivating Kesler right now is odd timing. Are we hoping Kesler goes all out in his Xbox 360 NHL 12 franchise, playing harder than ever before?

Of course this could all just be overblown. For all we know Kesler gets annoyed everyday and then shrugs it off. I don’t want to suggest this will lead to a Hodgson like rift with the team, but from far away, it just makes me cringe slightly to see two big parts of this team butting heads with each other so soon.

Either way, based on AV’s output the last day, we should have an entertaining off season on our hands. Maybe tomorrow AV can tell us about the time Henrik pushed Daniel down a flight of stairs so he could win the Art Ross trophy?

Update: Jim Jamieson has the goods on quotes directly from Overhardt: HERE
    http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/05...ults-comments/

vCash
    Kesler's a bit of a whiny baby at times, seems a bit spoiled and somewhat like a primadonna. Occasionally he will make comments which I don't understand (eg. I hate Canada, when referring to Team USA playing Team Canada), then the whole embarrassing photo shoot. But as far as his tantrum over AV's comments - good on AV. I believe Kesler came back too early from his hip surgery last off-season, but he lied and said he was 100%. So, okay, his game was poor before the shoulder injury, and then it got worse after the injury. This sounds about right to me.

vCash
    That article above that Ink posted shows that AV seems to have a bit of difficulty with recognizing the extent of injuries. The Mitchell, Boothe and Daniel examples if true are really good ones

vCash
    I think Vigneault is wrong and Kesler's camp is right. Kesler obviously had to get surgery so his shoulder injury was obviously legitimate. It obviously affected his shot, BUT i will say that Kesler tried to do too much too often. You would think that an injured shoulder would lead to more passes, but he was pretty stubborn and shot when there wasn't really anything to shoot at.

Hopefully this doesn't create a player/coach divide. Hopefully both sides are mature enough to get this thing resolved.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    That article above that Ink posted shows that AV seems to have a bit of difficulty with recognizing the extent of injuries. The Mitchell, Boothe and Daniel examples if true are really good ones
    Add Hodgson's back injury to the list of Dr AV gaffes.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    I kind of think both sides are in the wrong here. AV shouldn't be saying one thing if the player and his camp are saying another. And Kes shouldn't blame his whole sucky season on his injury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    I think Vigneault is wrong and Kesler's camp is right. Kesler obviously had to get surgery so his shoulder injury was obviously legitimate. It obviously affected his shot, BUT i will say that Kesler tried to do too much too often. You would think that an injured shoulder would lead to more passes, but he was pretty stubborn and shot when there wasn't really anything to shoot at.

Hopefully this doesn't create a player/coach divide. Hopefully both sides are mature enough to get this thing resolved.
    I'm hoping it will. We know by now that the only thing that will force stand-pat Mike Gillis to actually make a meaningful move is a crisis, whether that's between displacing your #1 goalie and Olympic gold medalist in the playoffs or whether it's about a player who "doesn't want to be a Canuck".

I'm hoping we get to the point where Kesler whines enough through his agent that Gillis has to declare to the media that he's spent more time on Kesler's problems in the last three years than everyone else's combined.

Kes, all you have to say is "I don't want to be a Canuck".
    Last edited by ink; 05-24-2012 at 05:27 PM.

vCash
    ^ Rooting for a player to ask out is the worst. When a relationship is frayed publically and the whole league knows the player wants out, the team is getting much under value on the return.

I think there are numerous examples to back that up and I suspect thats what is going to happen with Luongo who we just saw is officially asking out

vCash
    Add Hodgson's back injury to the list of Dr AV gaffes.
    And I agree that Dr AV should stick to coaching and leave medicine to the doctors.

It's interesting though, you know, I can't see AV making these kinds of statements without talking to Gillis first. After all, he didn't say anything to anyone for a month and then he comes out poking Kesler to do better. What's the GMs role in this?

vCash
    ^ Rooting for a player to ask out is the worst. When a relationship is frayed publically and the whole league knows the player wants out, the team is getting much under value on the return.

I think there are numerous examples to back that up and I suspect thats what is going to happen with Luongo who we just saw is officially asking out
    I absolutely agree but it's what it takes to get anything to happen with Gillis. I really don't have a great feeling about where we're headed with this club, at least not with the core.

vCash
    I'm gonna say this is the end of an era for the Canucks. For the first time we really need to start thinking about life after the twins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeifer View Post
    I'm gonna say this is the end of an era for the Canucks. For the first time we really need to start thinking about life after the twins.
    Not the end, maybe tailing toward the end. But, I think this 'window' is still open for another 2-3 years.

<3

vCash
    Not the end, maybe tailing toward the end. But, I think this 'window' is still open for another 2-3 years.
    at least, as long as were smart with our cap

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    at least, as long as were smart with our cap
    True. the ballard/Booth deals weren't smart.

I just feel that as long as the Sedins are in their prime, this team will have a chance to compete. Obviously they're still delivering, so that gives me confidence.

<3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast