Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ops

vCash

Ops

I have a question..

We all know ops is a pretty flawed stat as it combines slg/obp evenly and obp is the more important stat. For example a .400 obp/.400 slg has much more value than a player with a .300 obp/.500 slg

So my question is, does anyone know how much more value OBP has over slg?? How much more should obp be taken into account for a better measure?

vCash
    Check out wOBA, you'll like what you learn better

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Check out wOBA, you'll like what you learn better
    Been reading up on it, looks like the least flawed stat ive comer accross. Why isn't it used more often?

vCash
    I use it constantly. Fangraphs uses it constantly.

I know other posters do too.

Just not well known enough yet.

vCash
    OBP isn't the more important stat, SLG actually correlates to runs better than OBP. However, 1 pt of OBP is worth more than 1 pt of SLG, and that's why it's not great to add them together.

wOBA is the attempt to fix SLG and OBP by including every event(SLG leaves out BB, as well as others) and weighting their value properly. For example, in SLG a HR is worth the same as two doubles. In reality, 2 doubles is more valuable than one HR.

vCash
    This is PSD, stats means nothing
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    This is PSD, stats means nothing
    Yyyup. Blue jays forum uses beards to judge a players performance lol

"I stole and I robbed ....and I kidnapped the President's son and held him for ransom, AND I DIDNT GET CAUGHT NEITHA ! " - Prison Mike

vCash
    There is no one single stat that is going to let you judge a player accurately, they're ALL flawed (yes, even the mighty WAR), it's by looking at all the stats overall and taking them in as a package, and looking at what a player looks like on the field as well.

vCash
    WAR is more flawed than OPS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jon32 View Post
    Yyyup. Blue jays forum uses beards to judge a players performance lol
    If you've got a better way I'd like to hear it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Gruber View Post
    There is no one single stat that is going to let you judge a player accurately, they're ALL flawed (yes, even the mighty WAR), it's by looking at all the stats overall and taking them in as a package, and looking at what a player looks like on the field as well.
    Offense is a lot easier to measure then defense, pitching, or anything else in the game.

You can measure offense because every action has a direct impact on the goal, which is to score runs. There are exactly four bases, and each base is a percentage to that goal.

Offense can be measured, wOBA does the best job of anything (although not park and league adjusted) and wRC+ covers the latter issues.

The formula for wOBA changes every year based on the success of each walk, single, hbp, double etc to the frequency of scoring runs that season in relation to the league average OBP. It is measurable, because you can tell directly how much doing each action helps your team succeed.

It's one of the best at being accurate of any statistics. Defensive statistics are difficult to judge and have inaccuracies, pitching as well. But wOBA is going to be pretty close.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 05-23-2012 at 05:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Offense is a lot easier to measure then defense, pitching, or anything else in the game.

You can measure offense because every action has a direct impact on the goal, which is to score runs. There are exactly four bases, and each base is a percentage to that goal.

Offense can be measured, wOBA does the best job of anything (although not park and league adjusted) and wRC+ covers the latter issues.

The formula for wOBA changes every year based on the success of each walk, single, hbp, double etc to the frequency of scoring runs that season in relation to the league average OBP. It is measurable, because you can tell directly how much doing each action helps your team succeed.

It's one of the best at being accurate of any statistics. Defensive statistics are difficult to judge and have inaccuracies, pitching as well. But wOBA is going to be pretty close.
    Point is stats are like bikinis. They show a lot, but not everything.

vCash
    Except a bikini reveals everything when removed.

9/13/14: #Mayhem (While Pacman fights Algieri in China. lol)
    vCash
    /in before move to sabrmetrics forum

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    Since walks helps a players OPS why doesn't strike outs have any type negative effect.

Case in point is Mike Napoli who is hitting about .235 but his OPS remains at about .800 because he has a pretty good walk rate (OBP). What his OPS doesn't tell you is he SO at about a 30% rate.

Just wondered if there is a stat that shows a little clearer picture or more objective look at what a player is doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast