Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Jordan Staal?

vCash

Jordan Staal?

Anyone else out there like the idea of the Sabres picking up Jordan Staal from Pittsburgh if he is truly available? Just what could we give up to get him?

I would be willing to part with either #1 and throw in a prospect (Luke Adam?) or a #2 or #3 pick. Just don't know if that would be enough. We could then unload Derek Roy and Andrej Sekera for peanuts to free up some cap space (or just stuff them in Rochester for a season!)

Any other thoughts out there on this fantasy?

If we could pull this off and trade Vanek for Nash (who probably doesn't want to come to Buffalo anyway) I would be a very happy camper! Dream on......
    Last edited by daleawalker; 06-19-2012 at 08:05 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by daleawalker View Post
    Anyone else out there like the idea of the Sabres picking up Jordan Stall from Pittsburgh if he is truly available? Just what could we give up to get him?

I would be willing to part with either #1 and throw in a prospect (Luke Adam?) or a #2 or #3 pick. Just don't know if that would be enough. We could then unload Derek Roy and Andrej Sekera for peanuts to free up some cap space (or just stuff them in Rochester for a season!)

Any other thoughts out there on this fantasy?

If we could pull this off and trade Vanek for Nash (who probably doesn't want to come to Buffalo anyway) I would be a very happy camper! Dream on......
    Staal would be cool and definitely worth Luke Adam. I'm sure it would take a lot more to actually get him.

The Sabres won't need to unload anything for cap space. Boyes, Hecht, Kotalik, Morrisonn are UFAs.

I don't see Vanek for Nash. He plays right wing. So that'd be Pommer or Stafford for Nash. Pommer isn't going anywhere and Stafford wouldn't be enough.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

vCash
    I really did not look at RW/LW - Lindy shifts guys all over the place so I did not think it would be an issue. It won't happen, but I was just kicking the idea around.

I have not heard any rumors of the Sabres being interested in Staal, but I would definitely be calling Pittsburgh to see what it would take to get him. I think Staal could be our top player.

After years of Connolly, Roy, and now with Hodgson, I would not see Darcy going after someone like Staal. Just not Darcy and Lindy's kind of player I'm afraid.

vCash
    I really did not look at RW/LW - Lindy shifts guys all over the place so I did not think it would be an issue. It won't happen, but I was just kicking the idea around.
    Lindy moves wingers to center who have played center in the past (and tends to be LW -> C). You can't move RW <-> LW really since people either shoot right or left.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

vCash
    Vanek is left wing who shoots right. Nash right wing who shoots left.

You are correct for the most part but there are a few who like playing the off wing. To be honest, I do not care about the wings...I want a top notch CENTER right or left handed!!!!

vCash
    Vanek is left wing who shoots right. Nash right wing who shoots left.

You are correct for the most part but there are a few who like playing the off wing. To be honest, I do not care about the wings...I want a top notch CENTER right or left handed!!!!
    Yes, that is the point. Wingers who shoot right play on the left side and wingers who shoot left play on the right side. Otherwise it gets awkward near the glass trying to shoot.

I'm sure some diverge from that on personal preference, but in general is it kinda a physics thing.

There aren't really any centers available that would fill what the Sabres need. The free agent market sucks this year worse than last year. The best bet at this point is to draft a bunch of centers and hope a couple work out in the future.

-Scott van Pelt

vCash
    Staal do decline that ten year deal from what I read. So I guess that an opportunity. But I feel the sabres want more size in their centers