Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 766
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    364
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by westhockeytown View Post
    K, so we all know that Suter is the big name to try to replace Lids. Who whould we go after if Stu happens to opt out of DET?
    call me crazy, how bout someone like Brookbank?

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Port Huron, MI
    Posts
    6,485
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by westhockeytown View Post
    K, so we all know that Suter is the big name to try to replace Lids. Who whould we go after if Stu happens to opt out of DET?
    Quincey can replace Stuart. We didn't have him for that long and I think he's a lot better than how he played last year.

    Kronwall - Suter
    Quincey - White
    Ericsson - Smith

  3. #48
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,728
    vCash
    1500
    With Lidstrom's retirement and Stuart probably leaving, I see the Wings spending some bucks to get Suter (UFA) unless they think they have a better shot at Weber (RFA) next year. We all got to see how the Wings played without Lidstrom during the injury period, so we all know there is no replacing him; however, the Wings have some depth on D, so they have some options. Kronwall-White; Ericcson-Smith; Kindl-Quincey, then pursue a checking defenseman (Jackman), a puck mover-shooter (Wideman), or a rental (Gill) for one of of the D slots and rotate Smith, Kindl, Quincey, and Ericcson. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    To comment on Nash - Some of you realize he is only 28 and probably has a lot of years left. I realize the possibilty of getting him are slim, since he is not a free agent and would have to be traded for, but I think it would be awesome to have him playing with Datsyuk.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Port Huron, MI
    Posts
    6,485
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    With Lidstrom's retirement and Stuart probably leaving, I see the Wings spending some bucks to get Suter (UFA) unless they think they have a better shot at Weber (RFA) next year. We all got to see how the Wings played without Lidstrom during the injury period, so we all know there is no replacing him; however, the Wings have some depth on D, so they have some options. Kronwall-White; Ericcson-Smith; Kindl-Quincey, then pursue a checking defenseman (Jackman), a puck mover-shooter (Wideman), or a rental (Gill) for one of of the D slots and rotate Smith, Kindl, Quincey, and Ericcson. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    To comment on Nash - Some of you realize he is only 28 and probably has a lot of years left. I realize the possibilty of getting him are slim, since he is not a free agent and would have to be traded for, but I think it would be awesome to have him playing with Datsyuk.
    I would like Nash too but why trade for him when there is Semin and Parise possible becoming free agents. Personally I like Parise more than Nash and Nash is going to cost more than he's worth unless Columbus asks for much less.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,710
    vCash
    1500
    In response to the Nash thing again...Jarnkrok, Pulu, Nyquist, Tatar (Pick 3) add in Smith and add in probably Mrazek and out 1st in 2013...that would be something like the package we would have to give for Nash who has never proven he can play well while having to share the puck. He has never played with another high profile player. Yeah he is a good player but he has never played with anyone else how do we know that he will do as well? I smell Jeff Carter in Colombus.

    As far as other D men I think promoting Smith and signing one of Suter, Wideman or Jackman and we will be fine.
    Suter-Kronny
    Smith-White
    Quincey-Eric
    Kindl

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    24,996
    vCash
    1000
    Pulu just signed his entry level deal the other day. Fantastic news! Too bad he's staying overseas, yet again, where he should be in Grand Rapids improving his defensive awareness.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,710
    vCash
    1500
    I knew he signed I could have sworn I read he was going to stay and play for GR....I am wrong again...he really needs to work on that

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids MI, (West Hockey Town)
    Posts
    2,249
    vCash
    1500
    In regards to the Stu replacement. I just don't see Q filling his role if he does bolt for the west coast. Just looked at Wideman's cap hit and it's pretty close to Stu's. Might not be a bad fit. But I do want to see Smitty up next year so I dunno...

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids MI, (West Hockey Town)
    Posts
    2,249
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    In response to the Nash thing again...Jarnkrok, Pulu, Nyquist, Tatar (Pick 3) add in Smith and add in probably Mrazek and out 1st in 2013...that would be something like the package we would have to give for Nash who has never proven he can play well while having to share the puck. He has never played with another high profile player. Yeah he is a good player but he has never played with anyone else how do we know that he will do as well? I smell Jeff Carter in Colombus.

    As far as other D men I think promoting Smith and signing one of Suter, Wideman or Jackman and we will be fine.
    Suter-Kronny
    Smith-White
    Quincey-Eric
    Kindl
    And look how he's doing in LA! Nash really could use a change of pace. Ya gotta feel for the guy cuz it's not likely his team's gonna bounce back next year. Unless they end up with Suter, Parise, Semin, Wideman, pretty much everyone the Wings want. That would suck.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    24,996
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    I knew he signed I could have sworn I read he was going to stay and play for GR....I am wrong again...he really needs to work on that
    Yep. I was very disappointed as well. It said he'd return to the Tigers next season, which is pointless.

    Quote Originally Posted by westhockeytown View Post
    In regards to the Stu replacement. I just don't see Q filling his role if he does bolt for the west coast. Just looked at Wideman's cap hit and it's pretty close to Stu's. Might not be a bad fit. But I do want to see Smitty up next year so I dunno...
    Kyle Quincey can fill it, but he really isn't that defensive defenseman that Brad Stuart is. If we get Ryan Suter, an elite defensive defenseman, then it will be much better. Quincey was the #1B guy his first year in Los Angeles, and was the #1 guy in Colorado. He'll be big next season for us.

    Dennis Wideman is going to cost a decent chunk of change, considering he was just an all-star. Why get Wideman, when we have Ian White? I know Wideman's better, but we don't need another puck moving defenseman. Quincey's an RFA, not an UFA. He'll be back.

    Kyle Quincey - puck mover, decent defensive game.
    Niklas Kronwall - puck mover, solid defensive game.
    Ian White - puck mover, decent defensive game.
    Jonathan Ericsson - defensive defenseman, though a secondary guy really.
    Jakub Kindl - puck mover, meh defensively. Weak, really.
    Brendan Smith - puck mover, average defensively (solid for a rookie).

    That's 6 that will certainly be in training camp. So getting Dennis Wideman would be pointless, considering we need a defensive defenseman. If we got Ryan Suter, that would be perfect. No thanks to Matt Carle (similar to Ian White), and Dennis Wideman.

    Quote Originally Posted by westhockeytown View Post
    And look how he's doing in LA! Nash really could use a change of pace. Ya gotta feel for the guy cuz it's not likely his team's gonna bounce back next year. Unless they end up with Suter, Parise, Semin, Wideman, pretty much everyone the Wings want. That would suck.
    Jeff Carter's doing the same thing he was doing in Philadelphia actually. He's actually got less points than Philly, just more than Columbus. Carter's biggest probelm in Columbus was health. He was injured a lot. I also said from the start that a Nash-Carter combo will not work. It didn't.

    Rick Nash probably comes here, and puts up 38/35. Something like that, if he can remain healthy. He's not worth the huge prospect dump considering we'll need a few of them up shortly. We'd also be stuck with his HUGE contract. I'd prefer Alexander Semin actually. Someone's said this, but:

    Zach Parise>Rick Nash

    We wouldn't have to put a big deal for Rick Nash. Similar cap hit, less for Parise actually, but a lot more years. Parise and Zetty seem like two players that would absolutely mesh together. Semin and Datsyuk.

    I really haven't been so excited, and worried for a big off-season for awhile. I usually like going into the off-season set, and just adding a touch up (Eaves, Commodore, Modano). That Marian Hossa signing shocked me, and got me really excited though.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,710
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah look how Jeff Carter is doing now on his second team...thats my point Col thought he could be an was a #1 guy they brought him in to be that and yeah he had bad health but he failed even when he was healthy. Anyways I was just bringing him as an example im not debating Jeff Carter. My point is that maybe Nash cant play with another couple #1 guys in Z and Pasha. And also the prospects to give up would destroy us in coming years when Cleary and Bert retire or leave. As stated above Parise would put up the same or better numbers and cost us just a huge contract, not all the prospects and setting our development back 5 years.

    As far as Wideman goes the reason I want him is for his right handed point shot. Im not going to lie I havent paid too much attention to Semin on the PP so I am not sure if he can play the point, but it would help to have another right handed point shot so if Semin can fill that im fine without Wideman. Focus should be Suter, then maybe Allen (I believe he is a FA) but I also would not have a problem with Carle. I know he is another puck moving D man but he has made amazing strides EVERY year on his defensive game and has mostly been a + player.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    24,996
    vCash
    1000
    Matt Carle would greatly struggle in Detroit.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,710
    vCash
    1500
    Im not so sure about that. I really feel he could be like Stu. Stuart was thought of as an offensive D man early in his career (like Carle) but greatly progressed at the D side and became a shut down. Carle is going through the same process.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    24,996
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by pidg88 View Post
    Im not so sure about that. I really feel he could be like Stu. Stuart was thought of as an offensive D man early in his career (like Carle) but greatly progressed at the D side and became a shut down. Carle is going through the same process.
    Matt Carle makes too many poor mistakes defensively. He struggles without a big dog in Phialdelphia playing beside him. He and Ian White are like the same, exact player, but opposite hands.

    Brad Stuart's defensive game was better than Matt Carle's from his San Jose days, to Boston, to Calgary, to Los Angeles, and then to Detroit.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,710
    vCash
    1500
    Oh I agree his D game has always been better, but Carle is making progress. Im just saying if we lose out on Suter and Wideman I would be perfectly fine with Carle

Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •