Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Report: Mike Jenkins will skip OTAs, wants to be traded

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is hopeful that cornerback Mike Jenkins will join the team at organized team activities on Tuesday, but it seems that his hopes will be dashed.

Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that Jenkins will not be showing up on Tuesday and that he wants to be traded away from the Cowboys. By signing Brandon Carr and drafting Morris Claiborne, the Cowboys have pushed Jenkins to third on the depth chart and there’s not much chance he’s going to get an extension from a team that’s already spending a fair amount on Carr, Claiborne and Orlando Scandrick.

Jenkins was shopped during the draft, but the Cowboys didn’t find a deal that made them pull the trigger. Since then they have been talking up their depth at corner, something that doesn’t seem to have struck any heart strings for Jenkins. Jenkins is set to make $1.052 million in 2012, a number that makes it much easier to consider keeping him as a third corner and letting him walk after the season.

Jenkins had shoulder surgery after last season which would have kept him out of OTAs even if he showed up. Neither the injury nor his desire for a new deal will make Jenkins any easier for the Cowboys to deal unless their asking price is on the modest side.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-to-be-traded/

should our Buccaneers show interest?
    Last edited by bucc4life; 05-21-2012 at 04:07 PM.

If you have great defense, create turnovers and great special teams, you can win 10 games - Lovie Smith

vCash
    As far as the debate on if Freeney would start or not, I beleive Clay is penciled in at RE. I could see Freeney and Bennett splitting the LE spot. Freeney in on passing downs, and Bennett in against the run. Not sure there would exactly be a starter at that spot, so the arguement is unneccisary.

I would be happy to sign M. Jenkins as Talib insurance, but I would not want to see us trade for him unless it was him for Winslow straight up.

vCash
    Pass. Dude is weak. Schiano is obviously making a statement with all of these moves saying he wants a pure physical team like the niners. Jenkins is decent in coverage but is also a soft tackler at best. He wont be in Tampa...
    I am a member of the BUC NATION

vCash
    From Rotworld:
    Bucs signed WR Preston Parker to a one-year, $1 million extension, including $50,000 guaranteed.
    An exclusive rights free agent, Parker signed a one-year, $540,000 deal in April, but is now signed through 2013. A $50,000 signing bonus is the only guaranteed part of his contract. Parker is coming off a 40/554/3 campaign, but should in for a reduced role following Tampa's signing of Vincent Jackson. He'll likely focus on returns this season.

vCash
    Schiano must have been impressed with Parkers tape last year. He came through with some good grabs across the middle last year, and helped move the chains. I'm for keeping him around another year, see what transpires.

>Watch Me On Twitch Here<
    Click Here to Become a PSD Member!
    ★I am a Member of the BUC NATION

vCash
    ballsy move by the Bucs giving PP less money than the pay he'd be getting from his restricted tender

If you have great defense, create turnovers and great special teams, you can win 10 games - Lovie Smith

vCash
    Are Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano's domineering ways good or bad?

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/footb...or-bad/1231663

I found this funny ... some of you might find it as a good read perhaps

vCash
    ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported on NFL Live Wednesday that unsigned franchise player Ray Rice wants "Adrian Peterson money," and the Ravens are unwilling to pay it.
    "This holdout could end in training camp, if then," Sal Pal said. "... He wants Adrian Peterson money. He would like to have Chris Johnson money, which means about $30 million guaranteed. And I was told by a Ravens team official, a senior official, 'That is simply not going to happen.'" Paolantonio hinted that Rice could be headed for an extended holdout. He's had no recent contact with Ravens brass, and the sides appear to be far apart two months before camp.
    Idk man
    and with the 12th pick, The New York Football Giants select ......Odell Beckham Jr, Wide Reciever from Louisana State University

vCash

vCash
    How much will Bucs throw to TEs?

We don’t know exactly what Tampa Bay’s new offense will look like until September, but there are some clues out there that suggest the Buccaneers could go away from the league-wide trend of throwing more to tight ends.

The Bucs had a major shakeup at the position this week when they traded Kellen Winslow to Seattle and brought in free agent Dallas Clark. The Bucs basically replaced one veteran pass catcher with another.

Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano said he believes Clark can get back to being the same player he was before injuries limited his production with Indianapolis the last two seasons. In 2009, Clark caught 100 passes.

But, even if Clark is healthy, he might have a tough time registering a 100-catch season. The Bucs hired former New York Giants quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan as their offensive coordinator, so it’s safe to assume this offense will at least look a little like what the Giants run.

In a 2011 season in which eight tight ends, including Winslow, were targeted at least 110 times (according to ESPN Stats & Information), the Giants took a completely different approach. New York’s top tight end Jake Ballard was targeted 58 times and ranked No. 25 in tight-end targets. Ballard produced 38 catches for 604 yards and four touchdowns. Backups Bear Pascoe and Travis Beckum were targeted 16 and 10 times respectively.

Maybe Sullivan doesn’t take the exact approach the Giants did. Maybe a healthy Clark convinces Sullivan to throw to the tight ends more often.

Or maybe the Bucs will follow what the Giants did and dare to be different than the rest of the league.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/pos...s-throw-to-tes

vCash
    ESPN just gave me a scare. I read "Nicks Suffers Foot Injury; Could miss 12 weeks".

I was relieved to hear that it was Hakeem Nicks and not Carl Nicks.
    Last edited by Quikdraw; 05-24-2012 at 09:59 PM.

vCash
    ^^^ x2

vCash
    There's been a lot of criticism of Coach Schiano's toughness on players being at practice etc. I was like: I have zero sympathy after these guys were on easy street the past three years. If it was me they'd be in it even worse. I love the zero tolerance mentality of Schiano. Show up or ship out. Hes right time is the enemy, and there is not enough time in a day. Every second counts towards learning this new system.

>Watch Me On Twitch Here<
    Click Here to Become a PSD Member!
    ★I am a Member of the BUC NATION

vCash
    Penn To Freeman: "We Like The Way You Are Working"

The Buccaneers aren’t stacked with a ton of veterans. In fact 2012 could be the third season in a row that Tampa Bay fields the league’s youngest team. While just 29, seven-year NFL veteran offensive tackle Donald Penn is one of the Buccaneers elder statesmen, and said there are lessons to learn from a 4-12 season.

“One thing I did learn – when last year is over – it is over,” Penn said. “It is totally a new year. You can’t think you are going to do the same thing you did last year just by showing up. You have to put in the effort and put in the work.”

Penn thinks the Buccaneers are on the right track with head coach Greg Schiano, and likes what he has seen from his new head coach.

“He (Schiano) doesn’t hide anything, he wants everything upfront,” Penn said. “100 percent real and it seems like he is going to try and do that back to you.”

The former Utah State star appreciates Schiano’s style.

“That is the way I try and live life,” Penn said. “My motto in life is to try and treat people the way I want to be treated. And I think that is what he is trying to give to these young guys. Don’t half-*censored* something if you don’t want the other guy doing it. You have to be on top of your game and you make sure the other guys are on top of their game. And with a young team that is something you need.”

Penn has lined up at left tackle for every game of quarterback Josh Freeman’s career, and knows No. 5 will need a bounce back season for Tampa Bay to be successful. Penn likes what he sees so far.

“I whispered in his ear today, ‘you know you are still my favorite quarterback,’ and he started laughing,” Penn said. “He is getting better. But you have to understand Josh has so much on his plate right now. He is learning so much and is getting so much thrown at him.

“With the offensive line we are out trying to make calls to make his job easier. He is getting so much (thrown) upon him. He is grasping it and doing a good job. He has to take it slow. Sometimes we have to tell him to slow down because he is getting overwhelmed, because he wants everything perfect.

“But right now we are learning and fixing things, everything is not going to be perfect. And he wants everything to be perfect. You have to sit back sometimes and tell him everything is not going to be perfect. We still have time. But we like the way you are working.”

Tampa Bay’s most experienced lineman noticed Schiano telling Freeman the same thing.

“I saw coach Schiano pull him to the side and tell him to keep working hard and doing what you are doing but not to get frustrated with yourself,” Penn said. “They are throwing a lot at him (Freeman) – they are throwing a lot at all of us – and we are trying to respond.”

Freeman ended 2011 throwing 22 interceptions after tossing just six in 2010, and Penn knows the cynics will be out in full force until Freeman proves he is more of the 2010 version of quarterback than the one he displayed in 2011.

That is how it goes,” Penn said. “When you are the top (quarterback) you get all the love and when you are at the bottom you get all the bad stuff. And he knows that. And like I said it is a learning experience. We have to learn from last year. I don’t want that feeling again and I don’t think any of these guys do.

“But Josh handled it well. And that is what he needed to do. It is maturing him and making him a better player and leader to lead us.”
    http://www.pewterreport.com/index.ph...981:&Itemid=15

vCash
    Bucs Q&A: Will Blount be the starter, or Martin?

Q: Who do you think will start Day One at running back? I think it should be LeGarrette Blount, he has shown flashes of being great and fits Schiano's physical mentality. Don't get me wrong, Doug Martin will get a lot of touches as well. At this point in time LeGarrette is just the better back.

Andrew Athans, Arnold, Md.

A: I don’t disagree with what you say about Blount, but I think Martin will be the starter. He's more versatile than Blount and doesn't have the problems holding on to the ball that Blount does. Martin can break tackles, too, and he has the speed to break free for a home run. He'll likely get the chance to be the starter out of the chute but it's nice to have a starting-caliber player like Blount in reserve, who can finish games and punish tired defenses.

-- Roy Cummings

---------

Q: I understand that Kellen Winslow may not have been so easy to control, but given his productivity and ability, and also the fact that he had not missed a game with the Bucs, why is it a smart move to trade him and bring in Dallas clark, who is older not as much of a playmaker and has had his own injury problems?

I'm not saying Winslow was the best ever, but I fail to see how this makes the Bucs a better team. Do they have some other plan at tight end?

Joe Baisden, Sharana, Afghanistan

A: I think the plan is to de-emphasize the tight end a little bit in the passing game. The Bucs threw to Winslow 114 times last year, the fourth most in the league for any tight end. I think they want to get the ball to their wideouts and running backs a little more, so the possible de-emphasis may have had something to do with the dismissal.

There was also the issue of Winslow's desire to work out in San Diego during the offseason. He said that didn't sit well with Schiano and Schiano never denied it. We have to believe then that the issue was a factor and that Schiano used Winslow to send yet another message to his players that they will do things as he wishes, not as they wish, or they will be out of here.

-- Roy Cummings

---------

Q: I can smell the excitement all the way from Washington about the Bucs' new regime. I'm curious though what your opinion(s) are about the discipline and demeanor of new Bucs head coach Greg Schiano. I'm a school teacher with traditional values and make my students "toe the line." After watching every game last year and following up with studying game film I saw immaturity prevail. Last year's Bucs looked lifeless and careless.

My question is this: How is the progress so far at One Buc Place for Schiano's "Buccaneer Way" transformation? Working with late adolescent millionaires might require little less than a miracle compared to my 8th grade P.E. class.

P.S. Thanks for all the in-depth coverage. I'm 3,000 miles away from being a season ticket holder. It means a lot.

Curtis Weber, Spokane, Wash.

A: First off, thanks for being a loyal reader and I know the Bucs appreciate your loyalty to them, as well.

As for the transformation, all seems to be going well. Coach Schiano is clearly getting rid of those who choose not to buy into his program and that will send a clear message to the current and potentially future Bucs that his way is the only way. That's a good thing. Like your students football players, even veteran ones, need guidance and leadership.

No team has 53 Hardy Nickersons or Ronde Barbers or Warren Sapps, guys who "get it'' from the very start and know how to be pros, work their game and improve steadily as time goes on. Most teams have two or three of those guys and so the coaches have to be the real leaders and they have to lead with smart discipline. By that I mean there has to be a payoff for all that they're doing.

It's kind of like the Karate Kid. He didn't understand why he was washing and waxing all those cars until his mentor showed him the skills he'd developed through consistent work habits. It's the same with football. If you get used to running from one drill to another all day in practice, you'll run all day on Sunday, too.

The bottom line answer will come in the shape of wins and losses. If he produces more wins than losses, Schiano's transformation of the organization will be deemed a success.

-- Roy Cummings

---------

Q: Coach Schiano impresses me by trying to instill work ethics back in the Bucs. His selection of experienced ex-pro assistants and his style are impressive. My concern is his ability to develop a pro-caliber offense. The Rutgers offense was mediocre by college standards and the jump to the NFL is a concern. Can Schiano make the leap scheme-wise?

Al, Belleview

A: Well, the Bucs aren't going to run Schiano's offense. They're going to run his defense and Mike Sullivan's offense. We're still not sure what Sullivan's offense will look like but the word we have from the players we've talked to, including QB Josh Freeman, is that it will look a lot like what the New York Giants have been running lately. That makes sense since Sullivan came from the Giants, where he was receivers coach and then quarterbacks coach. That offense has won two Super Bowls so it must be rather effective. It's primarily a rush-oriented attack that takes shots down the field, which is definitely what Schiano wants.

-- Roy Cummings

---------

Q: I am assuming that Gerald McCoy is attending OTAs. What is his health status?

Keith Henderson, Lecanto

A: McCoy isn't just attending, he's participating. Regularly. And he's really working hard. There is nothing at this point to indicate he's been slowed at all by his season-ending surgery. He's doing all the drills and mixing it up in the 11-on-11 work, as well. Now, they're only in shorts, but that's probably a good thing. So far though, so good. He looks well down the road to recovery.

-- Roy Cummings

---------

Q: Who's getting more touches at running back? LeGarrette Blount or Doug Martin?

Phillip Groenstein, Florida

A: Right now it's Blount, but that's only because Martin continues to be limited by a sore hamstring. The Bucs are being cautious there, but look for Martin to start getting more of the work once training camp rolls around.

-- Roy Cummings
    http://www2.tbo.com/sports/bucs/2012...BO+%3E+Bucs%29

Roy Cummings is a Buccaneers beat writer for the Tampa Tribune. Correspondent for The Sporting News and Pro Football Weekly
    Last edited by bucc4life; 05-26-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast