Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    no question

David
    King Remembered In Time
    New Jersey Devils/Brooklyn Nets/New York Yankees/New York Jets

12/7/12 R.I.P Off-topic-forum amigo.

Want to be President of PSD? Post here to enroll. No skills needed!
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...ction-Nominees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benzni View Post
    no question

David
    http://www.memecreator.net/futurama-...-there...-.jpg
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Wright might end up with a higher WAR this season than Freese has in his career.

over 150 points of OBP higher than Freese this year.

but wait.. i mean this is really close

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cambovenzi View Post
    Wright might end up with a higher WAR this season than Freese has in his career.

over 150 points of OBP higher than Freese this year.

but wait.. i mean this is really close
    Freese had a grand total of one single season worth of plate appearances in his career before this season. Really? That's the first response you came up with?

Over the last two seasons
    Freese - .298/.355/.499, .362 wOBA, 133 wRC+, 4.3 fWAR (Freese positive UZR and dWAR)
    Wright - .288/.382/.469, .369 wOBA, 136 wRC+, 5.1 fWAR (Wright negative UZR and dWAR)

I'd say it is really close. Advantage Wright, obviously. But this is not a blow out at all.

vCash
    Wright...easily.

I like Freese, but he just isn't at Wright's level as an overall player when Wright is swinging the bat the way he is capable of.

Before this season I would say it was close, but at this point it looks like Wright has returned to form. When he is playing like this, he is one of the best 3rd basemen in the game...arguably the best (although Miguel Cabrera since moving to 3rd base takes that crown right now). Bottom line is, Freese can't quite match this level of play over the course of an entire 162 game season...or at least he hasn't shown this yet. Until I see it, I tend to lean toward the notion that he can't match this level of play of the course of an entire season.

I think you'd have to be crazy to take Freese over Wright at this point in time.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 06-04-2012 at 08:05 PM.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    David Wright by far. Freese is overrated and Wright is a playmaker when he's up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Freese had a grand total of one single season worth of plate appearances in his career before this season. Really? That's the first response you came up with?

Freese - .298/.355/.499, .362 wOBA, 133 wRC+, 4.3 fWAR (Freese positive UZR and dWAR)
    Wright - .288/.382/.469, .369 wOBA, 136 wRC+, 5.1 fWAR (Wright negative UZR and dWAR)

I'd say it is really close. Advantage Wright, obviously. But this is not a blow out at all.
    Before this season started, I would agree with you. Over the last 2-3 years...it has been close. But this is comparing Freese to a mechanically flawed David Wright.

Now, can Freese improve and play at a much higher level. Sure its possible. But, we haven't seen it yet over a large enough sample size.

With Wright, we know what he can do when he is playing at his best. We know what he is capable of doing, and it looks like he is back to doing that this season.

From 2005-2008 he put up 4 straight years of an OPS over .900. I am not making excuses for his lack of "great production" from 2009-2011, but it does seem pretty clear to me that in 2012, his mechanics and his confidence has returned to form........

And haven't said all that, I don't think Freese has shown he can match this level of play over the course of an entire season. At least he hasn't shown this yet, with the exception of some nice flashes here and there.

Thats simply not enough to make a valid comparison between the two. If I were building a team, I'd take David Wright without thinking twice (contract situation and money notwithstanding).
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    david wright is a competetor and a captain, and is a silver slugger, gold glover, and should be a former nl mvp. he puts his heart and sole into whatever team he is on, no matter what their stading is. sure he can go into slumps, but he also has a tendancy to hit everything in sight. not to say that freese isnt any of those things, but i would take david wright over freese any day.

vCash
    Really? Wright By Miles.
    #Joc2LA

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Really this is a question?

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LASPORTSFAN1996 View Post
    Really? Wright By Miles.

See, these are the posts that got me in here being defensive.

It isn't 'Wright by miles'

It's Wright by a little bit. He is the right choice, but this shouldn't be a blow out, and it isn't that obvious of an answer.

vCash
    Freese is on pace for 34 homers

vCash
    Obviously David Wright is going to be the obvious choice here....

However, David Freese still hasn't reached his ceiling considering the limited amount of time he has only had so far, he still has more ability we haven't yet seen. This is only the beginning of the David Freese era, just wait till he puts everything together.

Nothing to take away from Wright, he is arguably the games best 3rd baseman this year.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    See, these are the posts that got me in here being defensive.

It isn't 'Wright by miles'

It's Wright by a little bit. He is the right choice, but this shouldn't be a blow out, and it isn't that obvious of an answer.

This is silly... that's cheery picking. It just so happens that David wright had by far his worst season lest year...which looking at the data is clearly an outlier. So his stats are incredibly deflated for the last two years. So freeze is almost in wright's category if you focus on wright's absolute worst.

Also this talk about freese putting it together? This ignores the fact that they are the same age.

Freese is a good player David wright is a great player.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    This is silly... that's cheery picking. It just so happens that David wright had by far his worst season lest year...which looking at the data is clearly an outlier. So his stats are incredibly deflated for the last two years. So freeze is almost in wright's category if you focus on wright's absolute worst.
    Okay, let's be generous enough and give Wright his career numbers, shall we?

Wright - .303/.384/.511, 138 wRC+, -27.6 UZR
    Freese - .298/.355/.499, 133 wRC+, 0.9 UZR

Still think it's Wright by miles? Freese is on him. Wright is the right choice, but he isn't killing Freese here.
    fwiw, you can look at any sample size that I post about, the last 18 months is the most common sample size that I use.

Also this talk about freese putting it together? This ignores the fact that they are the same age.
    Who said Freese is finally putting it together? STL-DON?

David Freese has about 900 big league plate appearances (counting post-season)

Through 900 big league plate appearances, Wright had a career slash line of
    .302/.371/.524. 136 wRC+, to Freese and his 133 wRC+.

I think Freese's slash line is about all he is ever going to produce. I don't think he needs to put anything together, he is an above average offensive third basemen.

I want to make it clear. I don't think Freese is as good as Wright. But the posts saying it's Wright by miles, or 'lol' etc. Those are just incorrect. I know Freese is over-rated for what he did last post-season. But he is a decent player who has played well when healthy. If Wright didn't break back out this year, you could argue that Freese was actually better. But with his re-emergence to superstardom it's hard to argue that any longer.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 06-08-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast