Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 77
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,244
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockturnal View Post
    That's the biggest mystery as of now. Bjorn says the matching portion only refers to the guaranteed money, Eddie says no. However, the biggest perks of fighting in the UFC is that extra money you can make. That's something Bellator can't match dollar for dollar. Sure they could put on a PPV and give Eddie his cut, but a cut from a UFC PPV is vastly different than a potential PPV from Bellator.



    So if we're smart enough to figure that out, why wouldn't the UFC lawyers also see it coming? I mean there's a reason these guys get paid the big bucks, so I'm thinking the way they drew up Eddie's contract wasn't a mistake, but instead a calculated move.



    I'm not sure about that. Nam had a similar situation and Bellator came out empty handed.



    I agree, but I get the feeling Bellator doesn't want to be #2 anymore and instead, they want to go head to head with the UFC.

    Big mistake.
    But that is the point. The ppv bonus money, locker room bonuses etc. are all hypothetical and have no set value. Eddie Alvarez isn't guaranteed to even fight on any UFC ppv events. How can Bellator be obligated to match something that is hypothetical and may not even be offered to Eddie Alvarez?

    Bellator didn't even go to court about Nam they dropped it pretty much right after he got legal representation. Bellator wasn't gonna waste their time going to court with Nam. That situation was also different in that Bellator had already released Tyson Nam and then still tried to say that they had rights to match his contract offers.

    I'm sure they see the numbers that Bellator 360 is already pulling in on Spike and think that they will draw UFC numbers on the channel. And honestly they might come close considering that they are pulling in +500,000 viewers for a show that isn't even a live event.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,598
    vCash
    1342
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    But that is the point. The ppv bonus money, locker room bonuses etc. are all hypothetical and have no set value. Eddie Alvarez isn't guaranteed to even fight on any UFC ppv events. How can Bellator be obligated to match something that is hypothetical and may not even be offered to Eddie Alvarez?
    Well now we know that the UFC intents to offer Eddie an immediate title shot.

    A UFC contract outlines the company's intent to book Alvarez for an immediate title shot in March and offer a cut of the promotion's pay-per-view profits, according to an exhibit in a lawsuit Bellator MMA filed against the fighter, a copy of which MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today obtained.

    An eight-fight deal would start Alvarez at $70,000 to show and $70,000 to win and raises in $5,000 increments with each win until it tops out at a guaranteed $210,000 for a win, the exhibit states. Alvarez would also be guaranteed a $250,000 signing bonus, payable in two installments of $85,000 and one of $80,000.

    When Alvarez fights on a UFC PPV broadcast, the offer states it entitles him to $1 for each "buy" between 200,000 and 400,000 buys, $2 per buy between 400,000 and 600,000 buys, and $2.50 per buy over 600,000 buys.

    Additionally, Alvarez is guaranteed a fight on a UFC on FOX card and three appearances as a commentator at UFC-branded events.
    Bellator can match the $$$, but they can't match the immediate title shot (but again, that's a hypothetical). Otherwise their whole business model where "titles are earned, not giving" goes out the window. We still don't know if the matching clause is strictly about guaranteed money though.

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Bellator didn't even go to court about Nam they dropped it pretty much right after he got legal representation. Bellator wasn't gonna waste their time going to court with Nam. That situation was also different in that Bellator had already released Tyson Nam and then still tried to say that they had rights to match his contract offers.
    Of course they didn't go to court, they knew they would lose. They were just trying to bully Nam, but as soon as he got legal representation, Bellator backed away. Also the situations aren't that different because Bellator was trying to enforce their matching clause, just like they're trying to do to Eddie.

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    I'm sure they see the numbers that Bellator 360 is already pulling in on Spike and think that they will draw UFC numbers on the channel. And honestly they might come close considering that they are pulling in +500,000 viewers for a show that isn't even a live event.
    Whatever their thinking is, they're about to go head to head with the UFC and history hasn't been kind to those organizations that have tried to do the same. See SF, XC, Affliction.
    Last edited by Knockturnal; 01-09-2013 at 11:36 PM.
    -----

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,244
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockturnal View Post
    Well now we know that the UFC intents to offer Eddie an immediate title shot.



    Bellator can match the $$$, but they can't match the immediate title shot (but again, that's a hypothetical). Otherwise their whole business model where "titles are earned, not giving" goes out the window. We still don't know if the matching clause is strictly about guaranteed money though.



    Of course they didn't go to court, they knew they would lose. They were just trying to bully Nam, but as soon as he got legal representation, Bellator backed away. Also the situations aren't that different because Bellator was trying to enforce their matching clause, just like they're trying to do to Eddie.



    Whatever their thinking is, they're about to go head to head with the UFC and history hasn't been kind to those organizations that have tried to do the same. See SF, XC, Affliction.
    The immediate title shot isn't guaranteed in the contract. If UFC tries to say otherwise Bellator can go back and find countless cases of guys getting #1 contendership only to see somebody else get the title shot. The contract says that it is their intention which means nothing in legal terms. Bellator could put in there that it is their intention to make Eddie Alvarez the President of the United States.

    There is precedent for this in other sports where courts have ruled that hypothetical and projected figures have no relevance in matching contract issues.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    S.A New Jersey
    Posts
    10,828
    vCash
    1500
    Dana was right, things are getting crazy
    FAV FIGHTERS- HW-Struve-JDS-D.Cormier LHW-Gustafsson -Ovince St. Preux Machida MW-Kenndey-D.Miller-Chris WeidmanWW-Condit-Rory MacDonald-Kampmann-Douglas Lima-Marquardt LW-Penn-Edgar-Jim Miller-Joe Lauzon-FW-Jung Patricio Freire BW-Torres-Dantas- Faber-Fly-Benavidez

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,097
    vCash
    1500
    Eddie and Gilbert should fight for the #1 contender spot
    Favorite fighters:
    Ian McCall, Brian Bowles, Chan Sung Jung, Nate Diaz, Nick Diaz, Dan Hardy, Duane Ludwig, Mike Pierce, Rick Story, Jake Ellenberger, Wanderlei Silva, Anderson Silva, Chael Sonnen, Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, Rashad Evans, Phil Davis, Shane Carwin, Gabriel Gonzaga

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,244
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle man View Post
    Eddie and Gilbert should fight for the #1 contender spot
    Apparently Gilbert Melendez isn't very happy about Eddie Alvarez having that immediate title shot in his contract.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,067
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Apparently Gilbert Melendez isn't very happy about Eddie Alvarez having that immediate title shot in his contract.
    I don't blame him. I'm a fan of Alvarez, but I don't think he should get an immediate title shot since he's not even the Bellator lightweight champion right now. Had he not lost the belt last year, then I'd be in favor of it.
    The MMA Pavilion

    mmapavilion.wordpress.com

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Great Northeast
    Posts
    29,381
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BJBirdy View Post
    I don't blame him. I'm a fan of Alvarez, but I don't think he should get an immediate title shot since he's not even the Bellator lightweight champion right now. Had he not lost the belt last year, then I'd be in favor of it.
    I totally agree. I'd add, Melendez would pistol whip Eddie.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,244
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by BJBirdy View Post
    I don't blame him. I'm a fan of Alvarez, but I don't think he should get an immediate title shot since he's not even the Bellator lightweight champion right now. Had he not lost the belt last year, then I'd be in favor of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    I totally agree. I'd add, Melendez would pistol whip Eddie.
    It is bull****. Eddie Alvarez isn't even the champion in Bellator and he gets an immediate title shot over Gilbert Melendez who is already a champion under the Zuffa banner for Strikeforce and hasn't lost a fight in over 3 years.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    S.A New Jersey
    Posts
    10,828
    vCash
    1500
    I not a Eddie fan and IMO he loses to the top guys in Zuffa, but Id like to see for myself
    FAV FIGHTERS- HW-Struve-JDS-D.Cormier LHW-Gustafsson -Ovince St. Preux Machida MW-Kenndey-D.Miller-Chris WeidmanWW-Condit-Rory MacDonald-Kampmann-Douglas Lima-Marquardt LW-Penn-Edgar-Jim Miller-Joe Lauzon-FW-Jung Patricio Freire BW-Torres-Dantas- Faber-Fly-Benavidez

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,598
    vCash
    1342
    What's with this immediate title shot talk? The UFC contract says "intent" which means is not a given he will get it.

    In fact Dana did an interview recently and said Eddie wasn't going to get an immediate title shot, but Gilbert Melendez would.

    The rumor is Bendo will fight Melendez on UFC on FOX 7 on April 20th.
    -----

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,244
    vCash
    500
    I came in here just to post that point. It says in the Eddie Alvarez contract that it is their intention to give him a title shot in March. Well that clearly goes out the window because they are openly saying that Ben Henderson will be fighting Gilbert Melendez on Fox in March.....

    Is it just me or does that seem like the UFC has all but given up on this whole situation.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,788
    vCash
    1500
    yea melendez clearly deserves it over eddie.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,067
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Is it just me or does that seem like the UFC has all but given up on this whole situation.
    Not necessarily. It could mean that they know that this could drag on for a while and there's no point in making Henderson and Melendez wait around for Alvarez to sign (or for the legal situation to settle out).

    Besides, the UFC and Dana White say things all the time that never come to fruition.
    The MMA Pavilion

    mmapavilion.wordpress.com

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,244
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by BJBirdy View Post
    Not necessarily. It could mean that they know that this could drag on for a while and there's no point in making Henderson and Melendez wait around for Alvarez to sign (or for the legal situation to settle out).

    Besides, the UFC and Dana White say things all the time that never come to fruition.
    Thats my point. It gives Bellator more ammo in court for why they shouldn't have to match hypothetical things in the contracts because the UFC often doesn't do as they say.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •