Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockturnal View Post
    UFC boss Dana White expects Eddie Alvarez situation to 'get ugly'

Going by that reaction, it looks like Bellator matched it.

I'm not sure what the next step is, but I think that if Eddie Alvarez decides not to go back to Bellator, he will have to let the matching period expire.
    My understanding is that if Bellator matched it then he is under contract through Bellator. In the past with these matching periods they were allowed to come back with one for them to match with the understanding that if they matched it then it was a done deal. So guys were always real careful about what they brought back to get matched or else they could get stuck into another contract.

But my big question here is that if I were the UFC I would have made it where it was impossible for Bellator to match the offer for Alvarez. All they had to do was give him a real small ppv bonus. That is something that Bellator can't even offer....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    My understanding is that if Bellator matched it then he is under contract through Bellator. In the past with these matching periods they were allowed to come back with one for them to match with the understanding that if they matched it then it was a done deal. So guys were always real careful about what they brought back to get matched or else they could get stuck into another contract.

But my big question here is that if I were the UFC I would have made it where it was impossible for Bellator to match the offer for Alvarez. All they had to do was give him a real small ppv bonus. That is something that Bellator can't even offer....
    So your saying that Bellator free agents were really just restricted free agents? That if Bellator matched an offer from another organization than that fighter would have to come back to Bellator?

vCash

If that's the case, then Eddie is stuck with Bellator.

I thought that if Bellator matched the contract, the fighter had 2 options accept the matching offer or wait until the matching period ends.

I guess we'll find out soon enough...
    -----

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Militia View Post
    So your saying that Bellator free agents were really just restricted free agents? That if Bellator matched an offer from another organization than that fighter would have to come back to Bellator?
    Certain ones yes from my understanding that once a fighter brings a contract for them to match they are then bound to that contract if it is matched by Bellator. So if they don't want to fight for Bellator anymore they need to either make sure it will be undesirable for them to match, impossible for them to match or simply wait out the matching period.

vCash
    Bellator MMA counters UFC's offer for former champion Eddie Alvarez

Bellator MMA has officially tendered a contract offer to its former lightweight champion, Eddie Alvarez (24-3 MMA, 8-1 BFC).

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today learned from multiple industry sources that Bellator executives have issued an offer to Alvarez to match the deal he recently received from the UFC. The move is an effort by Bellator to retain the rights to the star 155-pounder, whose contract with the promotion expired following an October win over Patricky "Pitbull" Freire but who remained in an exclusive matching period with the tournament-based organization.

The revelation comes on the heels of UFC President Dana White's recent statement that he expected negotiations with Alvarez to "get ugly." In perhaps a nod to White's prediction, requests for statements by the UFC, Bellator and Alvarez's management team at Authentic Sports Management were all declined.

An official announcement isn't expected to be made until a legal review of both contracts is complete. Multiple sources indicated Bellator's offer was made "in good faith" and appears on the surface to match the deal previously offered by the UFC. However, it does not appear Alvarez has yet accepted Bellator's contract offer and may be seeking clarification on contract language in each of the two deals. Chief among those concerns will likely be whether or not Alvarez has the right to sign with another promotion while still operating inside of Bellator's matching period.

Alvarez long has been considered one of the top lightweights not in the UFC. This past April, Alvarez avenged one of only three losses on his record when he stopped Shinya Aoki with punches in the first round. And in October, in what may or may not prove to be his final Bellator fight, he stopped Freire with a head-kick knockout late in the first round. Alvarez's resume also includes wins over current Bellator featherweight champ Pat Curran in the lone defense of his Bellator lightweight title, as well as Roger Huerta, Josh Neer and Joachim Hansen.

In 2012, the UFC was able to sign former Bellator middleweight champion Hector Lombard to a deal Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney claimed included a signing bonus and was worth a minimum of $700,000 for the American Top Team fighter's first UFC appearance. Many MMA pundits expected Alvarez to also migrate to the octagon with the assumption that Bellator, despite moving to Spike TV, would not be able to offer a financial package level with that of the UFC.

As Rebney explained, it would all come down to dollars and sense.

"It really becomes for us a mathematical analysis," Rebney said. "We know where we would want to be with Ed, we know what kind of a deal structure would work for Bellator and our partners at Spike TV, and we're just waiting.

"We'd like to keep him, but it will all boil down to the numbers."

For now, it appears those numbers suit Bellator just fine.

Bellator's first live event of 2013 takes place on Jan. 17 and features current lightweight champ Michael Chandler facing top contender Rick Hawn, as well as featherweight champ Pat Curran vs. Patricio "Pitbull" Freire. The event takes place at Bren Center in Irvine, Calif., and marks the company's first broadcast on its new broadcast home of Spike TV.
    Lets see if I got this straight.

Bellator found a way to match the UFC contract without exactly matching it. Hence why the word "counter" and "good faith" were used to describe the contract situation. Maybe this is why Dana said it was "going to get ugly" because the whole thing sounds very tricky.
    -----

vCash
    Eddie Alvarez apparently isn't happy about the whole situation. He posted the two sentences below in different twitter posts.

I dont know if I can stay quiet any longer , I am very close at just saying F!@# it !!! Sry 4 all the BS guys, things will get figured out

Guys its not Up to Me , Who I fight for ,Trust Me
    http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/2013/0104/552439/

vCash
    Bellator sued Eddie, what ive heard is they did not match, Bellator is saying they did but Eddie says no.
    FAV FIGHTERS- HW-Struve-JDS-D.Cormier LHW-Gustafsson -Ovince St. Preux Machida MW-Kenndey-D.Miller-Chris WeidmanWW-Condit-Rory MacDonald-Kampmann-Douglas Lima-Marquardt LW-Penn-Edgar-Jim Miller-Joe Lauzon-FW-Jung Patricio Freire BW-Torres-Dantas- Faber-Fly-Benavidez

vCash
    Yeah this is gonna get ugly LOL Here is the deal.....

(1) Supposedly the UFC offered him a deal worth $70,000/$70,000 with a ppv bonus.

(2) Bellator is saying that they matched everything that is "guaranteed" to Alvarez in the UFC contract. They are pretty much saying that there is no guarantee that Alvarez will even be fighting on PPV events so they legally don't have to match that part of the contract.

(3) Furthermore they are saying that if they do PPV in the future that Alvarez will get ppv bonus. So by a technicality they are matching the UFC contract by giving him the option of a ppv bonus. Which is crappy because we all know that Bellator isn't gonna do a ppv.

(4) Alvarez is saying that he isn't gonna sign it and will just sit out the contract.

(5) Apparently he is now being sued by Bellator.

vCash
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/1/7/...s-ufc-offer-we

When Bjorn Rebney launched Bellator in 2008, Eddie Alvarez was his first big splash. Rebney gave the lightweight star a $100,000 signing bonus and made him a building block for the organization, and Alvarez took it from there, becoming a champion within it. The relationship between the two thrived to a point where the men built a friendship that transcended the employer-employee dynamic.

Within the last few days though, that bond has been at least partially fractured by a contract dispute that has led to dueling lawsuits and a cloudiness over Alvarez's future.

The issue shortly after Bellator waived its exclusive negotiating period, allowing Alvarez to take his talents to the open market. As expected, the UFC approached Alvarez about a deal that would bring his talents to its octagon, and Alvarez quickly signed an offer sheet. Under the terms of a clause in his Bellator contract, that promotion had a right to match the UFC offer, and that's where things get murky.

According to Alvarez in a Monday interview on The MMA Hour, Bellator didn't match the deal. Speaking metaphorically to avoid exact contract language, he likened the UFC's deal to "fine dining" and Bellator's to "McDonald's," saying all dinners are not created equal.

Rebney vehemently disagrees. In fact, he told MMA Fighting in a Monday interview, Bellator's matching offer was literally a mirror image of the contract the UFC offered Alvarez.

"I will tell you point blank, no questions asked, we matched it dollar for dollar, term for term and section for section," he said. "To avoid any kind of ambiguity, let me make clear, we took the UFC contract, we took it out of the PDF format, we changed the name 'UFC' to 'Bellator' and we signed it. We didn't alter a word, we didn't alter a phrase, we didn't alter a section, we didn't alter a dollar figure."

Then how can it be that such a discrepancy between the two sides would arise? As far as Rebney can tell, Alvarez's issue comes from the projected dollar figures he could earn from the UFC's pay-per-view bonus structure.

"Could" is the operative word there, as according to Rebney, that pay-per-view money in the UFC offer to Alvarez is nothing more than a hypothetical.

"There is no guaranteed pay-per-view in the UFC offer to Eddie Alvarez," he says emphatically. "We as Bellator don't have to match projections. We don't have to match what could conceptually happen. We have to match guaranteed dollars and what the UFC contractually guaranteed would occur. That is what we are held to."

Despite that, Rebney said that Alvarez's pay-per-view stake was matched anyway, under the belief that Bellator could move into the pay-per-view market with the right fight, for example, a rematch of the notable 2011 bout between Alvarez and Michael Chandler.

The main bullet points of the 40-page UFC offer to Alvarez was a $250,000 signing bonus and a $70,000 fight purse with a $70,000 win bonus for his first fight, with salaries escalating over the life of the deal. The contract was to cover a span of 40 months or eight fights, whichever occurred earlier.

When Alvarez first went out on the open market, Rebney originally feared his deal would be closer in line with that of Hector Lombard, which would make it financially unviable. But when he saw the final terms, he felt it would be possible to monetize Alvarez in a way that made it reachable, and matched the terms.

In a phone call from Rebney to Alvarez last week, Rebney said that he told Alvarez that addition to matching the terms, the promotion would also promise to feature him in Spike-aired television specials that would also generate income for him. Rebney said that at the time, Alvarez seemed receptive to the idea of returning to Bellator.

"We have a quarter-of-a-million dollar check sitting and waiting to be sent to Ed and are ready to be scheduling bouts immediately," he said.

But in a follow-up telephone call later in the week to discuss the contract situation, things changed. Rebney said he got an uneasy feeling when Alvarez came on to the call with six attorneys.

Within 30 minutes of the call's completion, according to Rebney, both sides had filed suit against each other. Rebney said he's since offered to fly Alvarez and his family to the promotion's California offices to resolve the situation but was rebuffed.

The next step in the away-from-the-cage drama is anyone's guess. The wheels of justice grind slowly, and Alvarez, who turns 29 years old on Friday, said on The MMA Hour that he'd be open to some kind of settlement in hopes of avoiding a drawn-out legal process.

Rebney believes the relationship with Alvarez can be mended as long as Alvarez comes to understand that Bellator did match the terms of the contract he was offered by Zuffa. After all, in his estimation, he's paid Alvarez about $900,000 in over the course of his time in Bellator, and is poised to do even better in the coming years regardless of which promotion ends up with his services.

"Ed and I have four years of a good working relationship and about 30 days of not a good relationship," he said. "When you weigh those factors out, there's a very high likelihood we could shake hands and get past it with a fair amount of ease. Ed's in business and as you can see from the numbers, it can be a very lucrative business. I know I can shove off and move forward, put things back in line in short order. I hope Ed can do the same. It may be a long, drawn out fight between the two or something that can be settled relatively quickly. We'll see."
    So Eddie says that Bellator didn't match the UFC offer, but Rebney said they did?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Militia View Post
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/1/7/...s-ufc-offer-we

So Eddie says that Bellator didn't match the UFC offer, but Rebney said they did?
    Technically they did.... It is crappy because everybody knows that Bellator isn't gonna do a ppv event anytime soon. This is on the UFC for not seeing this loophole in the contract.

I don't know if this would hold up in court. Because Bellator is comparing something that they "could" do in the future to something that the UFC does on a consistent and regular basis.

But I will tell you this they know for next time.... All they have to do is guarantee the first fight to be on a ppv with a ppv bonus. Just put it in the contract that the fighter is offered a fight on a ppv event with a ppv bonus within x months of signing the contract or he gets paid regardless and becomes a free agent. I bet Bellator doesn't match that ****....

vCash
    Rebney showing his true colors once again. I don't know why so many MMA fans think he is such a "nice guy" or has the best interest of MMA and the fighters. The guy was run out of boxing for a reason.

Think about this, have you ever seen Dana give interviews right after a title fight is over? Rogan always interviews the winner, sometimes the loser, but it ends there. You don't hear from Dana until the presser. Yet anyone who has seen Bellator knows that at the end of the event, you will see Rebney inside the cage giving his 2 cents. Why? Shouldn't it be about the fighter? Again, people get on Dana for being an attention whore, yet it baffles me how Rebney gets a pass.

What he's doing to Eddie is beyond despicable. They haven't matched the contract. There's just no way they can. All they're doing is matching the 70/70 and the signing bonus, but that's it. Things like PPV cut, sponsors etc are things Bellator just cannot match. Bellator saying they could is a lie.

It's simple, Bellator is suing Eddie to keep him out of the UFC for as long as possible. Once this goes to court, Eddie will win. It's almost the same thing that happen with Nam. WSOF made him an offer, Bellator claimed they matched it, Nam said they didn't, Bellator threaten legal action, Nam got legal rep and before you know it, Bellator backed away. The same thing will happen with Eddie.

If worse comes to worse, I'm reading (I think Eddie mentioned it on his twitter) that the matching period lasts about a year. Meaning that if Eddie doesn't accept Bellator's excuse of a contract, he can chose to not sign and wait until the matching period ends.
    -----

vCash
    bjoren is a big dummy. Bloodyelbow had a story saying Bellator cards get the least amount of traffic during event, even women mma gets more people talking.

I cant see a fighter wanting to go there now.

I blame Eddie a well, if he did wait more time so the matching window closed he could sign anywhere, Bendo not happy of eddie getting 75\75 when he maked 39/39
    FAV FIGHTERS- HW-Struve-JDS-D.Cormier LHW-Gustafsson -Ovince St. Preux Machida MW-Kenndey-D.Miller-Chris WeidmanWW-Condit-Rory MacDonald-Kampmann-Douglas Lima-Marquardt LW-Penn-Edgar-Jim Miller-Joe Lauzon-FW-Jung Patricio Freire BW-Torres-Dantas- Faber-Fly-Benavidez

vCash
    I think this hurts Bellator, fighters see this and if they become anything, this could happen to them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockturnal View Post
    Rebney showing his true colors once again. I don't know why so many MMA fans think he is such a "nice guy" or has the best interest of MMA and the fighters. The guy was run out of boxing for a reason.

Think about this, have you ever seen Dana give interviews right after a title fight is over? Rogan always interviews the winner, sometimes the loser, but it ends there. You don't hear from Dana until the presser. Yet anyone who has seen Bellator knows that at the end of the event, you will see Rebney inside the cage giving his 2 cents. Why? Shouldn't it be about the fighter? Again, people get on Dana for being an attention whore, yet it baffles me how Rebney gets a pass.

What he's doing to Eddie is beyond despicable. They haven't matched the contract. There's just no way they can. All they're doing is matching the 70/70 and the signing bonus, but that's it. Things like PPV cut, sponsors etc are things Bellator just cannot match. Bellator saying they could is a lie.

It's simple, Bellator is suing Eddie to keep him out of the UFC for as long as possible. Once this goes to court, Eddie will win. It's almost the same thing that happen with Nam. WSOF made him an offer, Bellator claimed they matched it, Nam said they didn't, Bellator threaten legal action, Nam got legal rep and before you know it, Bellator backed away. The same thing will happen with Eddie.

If worse comes to worse, I'm reading (I think Eddie mentioned it on his twitter) that the matching period lasts about a year. Meaning that if Eddie doesn't accept Bellator's excuse of a contract, he can chose to not sign and wait until the matching period ends.
    Legally they don't have to match the ppv bonus, sponsors or locker room bonuses etc. Because those things aren't guaranteed to Alvarez by the UFC.

Like I said this is on the UFC for not predicting this issue and putting it in writing that Alvarez was guaranteed fights on so many ppv events.

I think that Bellator has a great shot at winning this in the courts. What they are doing is wrong but it will most likely hold up in court.

All the same this is a lose/lose situation with Bellator. They are in the midst of starting what should be the biggest season in their organizations history and instead all they are getting is bad pr right now. As others have said this is gonna make some fighters think twice about signing with Bellator in the future.

Also why the hell do they even want to match the offer? In my opinion Eddie Alvarez isn't worth $250,000 signing bonus and $140,000 per fight to Bellator. If you look at his fights the ratings he only had one fight with significantly higher ratings than the average event.

They could take that $250,000 signing bonus and the money $70,000-140,000 per fight over the course of that contract and sign a bunch of decent fighters to give them more depth. Because you have to consider with Strikeforce going under there will be a ton of decent fighters not get a UFC contract and even some getting cut by the UFC to make room for those guys.

You to have to imagine that they could take that same money and go out and sign 10 guys like Tarec Saffiedine or Ovince St. Preux. Guys of that caliber that don't get signed by the UFC.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks19791024 View Post
    bjoren is a big dummy. Bloodyelbow had a story saying Bellator cards get the least amount of traffic during event, even women mma gets more people talking.

I cant see a fighter wanting to go there now.

I blame Eddie a well, if he did wait more time so the matching window closed he could sign anywhere, Bendo not happy of eddie getting 75\75 when he maked 39/39
    Can you blame him? He was already winning for Zuffa when he got that contract. But I guess he signed it....

Bellator is gonna see a huge ratings increase on Spike. Bellator 360 on Spike is already pulling in 450,000-500,000 viewers which is 2 or 3 times more than actual events were getting on MTV 2.

vCash
    Legally they don't have to match the ppv bonus, sponsors or locker room bonuses etc. Because those things aren't guaranteed to Alvarez by the UFC.
    That's the biggest mystery as of now. Bjorn says the matching portion only refers to the guaranteed money, Eddie says no. However, the biggest perks of fighting in the UFC is that extra money you can make. That's something Bellator can't match dollar for dollar. Sure they could put on a PPV and give Eddie his cut, but a cut from a UFC PPV is vastly different than a potential PPV from Bellator.

Like I said this is on the UFC for not predicting this issue and putting it in writing that Alvarez was guaranteed fights on so many ppv events.
    So if we're smart enough to figure that out, why wouldn't the UFC lawyers also see it coming? I mean there's a reason these guys get paid the big bucks, so I'm thinking the way they drew up Eddie's contract wasn't a mistake, but instead a calculated move.

I think that Bellator has a great shot at winning this in the courts. What they are doing is wrong but it will most likely hold up in court.
    I'm not sure about that. Nam had a similar situation and Bellator came out empty handed.

All the same this is a lose/lose situation with Bellator. They are in the midst of starting what should be the biggest season in their organizations history and instead all they are getting is bad pr right now. As others have said this is gonna make some fighters think twice about signing with Bellator in the future.

Also why the hell do they even want to match the offer? In my opinion Eddie Alvarez isn't worth $250,000 signing bonus and $140,000 per fight to Bellator. If you look at his fights the ratings he only had one fight with significantly higher ratings than the average event.

They could take that $250,000 signing bonus and the money $70,000-140,000 per fight over the course of that contract and sign a bunch of decent fighters to give them more depth. Because you have to consider with Strikeforce going under there will be a ton of decent fighters not get a UFC contract and even some getting cut by the UFC to make room for those guys.

You to have to imagine that they could take that same money and go out and sign 10 guys like Tarec Saffiedine or Ovince St. Preux. Guys of that caliber that don't get signed by the UFC.
    I agree, but I get the feeling Bellator doesn't want to be #2 anymore and instead, they want to go head to head with the UFC.

Big mistake.
    -----

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast