Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Rumor flying around that Eddie A will sign with UFC

THIS IS JUST A RUMOR AS OF NOW

No link yet but word around the mma world that Eddie Alvarez will fight A.Pettis at UFC 150. UFC will announce shortly...
    FAV FIGHTERS- HW-Struve-JDS-D.Cormier LHW-Gustafsson -Ovince St. Preux Machida MW-Kenndey-D.Miller-Chris WeidmanWW-Condit-Rory MacDonald-Kampmann-Douglas Lima-Marquardt LW-Penn-Edgar-Jim Miller-Joe Lauzon-FW-Jung Patricio Freire BW-Torres-Dantas- Faber-Fly-Benavidez

vCash
    I read the rumor a few days ago, I think it came from Middleeasy's rumor section.

I hope it's true, but I remember Eddie saying that he had 1 fight left on his contract, or he can let his contract expired (I think he has 4 months left). After that, he could finally take offers from other organizations.

Unless something else has happened since then (maybe Eddie talked to Bjorn and asked him if he wasn't going to re-sign him, to just let him off the contract) I'm not getting my hopes up, but Eddie vs Pettis sounds awesome.
    -----

vCash
    I heard after looking over the Lombard deal that Bellator knows they have no shot at Eddie if the deal is around the same. All just talk but yeah Eddie A vs Showtime will be sweet.

I keep tweeting dana to give me some type of clue...
    FAV FIGHTERS- HW-Struve-JDS-D.Cormier LHW-Gustafsson -Ovince St. Preux Machida MW-Kenndey-D.Miller-Chris WeidmanWW-Condit-Rory MacDonald-Kampmann-Douglas Lima-Marquardt LW-Penn-Edgar-Jim Miller-Joe Lauzon-FW-Jung Patricio Freire BW-Torres-Dantas- Faber-Fly-Benavidez

vCash
    Wow, Fantastic fight.

vCash
    Isn't he doing a seminar for Bellator in like a month with Kurt Pellegrino?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Isn't he doing a seminar for Bellator in like a month with Kurt Pellegrino?
    I dont think it matters, he is still under contract with them.

Really what can they do with him he already said he wants no part of the tourneys and in Bellator you have to earn the right to fight for a belt..

vCash
    I'm sure he will end up in the UFC but he still has things to work out with his current Bellator deal. I doubt he is out in time to fight on UFC 150.

vCash
    I'd like to see that fight and honestly I think its in the best interest of Bellator to let there bigger guys go. Bellator IMO is doing the smart thing and not really trying to complete with the UFC like Strikeforce and elite XC did. They are going after younger new fighters and mixing them with solid experienced guys.

For Bellator to grow, I think they need to be seen a bit of a feeder league to the UFC. If guys like Alverez and Lomard do well in the UFC, I actually think it makes Bellator look good and helps them in the future.

vCash
    Eddie Alvarez's next fight in works, Bellator won't nix tourney requirement for new deal

Whether or not Eddie Alvarez leaves Bellator for greener pastures, he'll fight for the promotion at least one more time.

Bellator chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio he's currently working on the standout lightweight's next fight booking.

And while Rebney hopes a new deal can be reached, he won't budge for Alvarez – or any other fighter – on his requirement that only tournament winners get title shots.

Alvarez's current Bellator deal expires in early fall, according to Rebney. But the contract also could end if Alvarez fulfills the one remaining fight on his deal. Regardless of which comes first, Alvarez will be a hot commodity, and UFC president Dana White and CEO Lorenzo Ferttita have openly discussed their affinity for the heavy-handed Philadelphian.

Alvarez (23-3 MMA, 7-1 BFC), a Bellator season-one tournament winner, reigned as a Bellator champion until a November upset loss to Michael Chandler. But a recent first-round TKO of Shinya Aoki solidified him in the top 10. It also upped his market value at a key time.

Now, the question is whether Alvarez will remain with Bellator or possibly join the UFC, where most of the world's top lightweights reside.

"Eddie and I are sitting down and banging through it," Rebney told MMAjunkie.com Radio. "If we can get a deal, we'll get a deal done. And if we can't get a deal done, then he'll have one last fight with us, which obviously we'll promote like crazy, and it'll be a big fight for him against someone super tough."

After that, Alvarez could follow in the footsteps of middleweight champion Hector Lombard, who recently vacated his Bellator belt, signed with the UFC, and now meets Brian Stann in August's UFC on FOX 4 headliner. Bellator had the right to match the UFC's offer but declined.

"We'd go through that same process (as Lombard) where Ed's able to test the waters and entertain offers," Rebney said. "For the time being, we have a long time left on the deal, and one fight left. We just need to sit down and work it out with Ed and decide which road we go down."

Rebney didn't mention a possible date for Alvarez's next fight. The current sixth season concludes this week, but the organization hosts monthly "Summer Series" events beginning next month.

While Alvarez has campaigned for a rematch with Chandler, who picked up a submission victory in their "Fight of the Year" candidate at Bellator 58, Rebney simply won't budge.

Sticking with tradition, Rebney said the only possible way Alvarez – who has become a friend and one of Bellator's highest-profile ambassadors – or any other fighter can get a title shot is by winning a tournament.

"Ed is awesome, and there are a lot of different things and a lot of hoops I will jump through to try to get a deal done with Ed to keep him in this organization," Rebney said. "But altering the format – altering what makes us who were are – is not one of them."
    We'll just have to wait longer now, but I think Alvarez will end up in the UFC by the end of the year.
    -----

vCash
    I wouldn't be against a Chandler rematch to be honest.

vCash
    No way that happens.

Say they have one of their amazing superfights between Chandler and Alvarez. What if Alvarez wins and leaves for the UFC? It would essentially make Bellator's LW belt a joke.

My guess is they find Alvarez a fighter like Gono, someone like Clementi...
    -----

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockturnal View Post
    No way that happens.

Say they have one of their amazing superfights between Chandler and Alvarez. What if Alvarez wins and leaves for the UFC? It would essentially make Bellator's LW belt a joke.

My guess is they find Alvarez a fighter like Gono, someone like Clementi...
    Wouldn't he have the Bellator championship claus? If not, maybe they can grab Brian Cobb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Wouldn't he have the Bellator championship claus? If not, maybe they can grab Brian Cobb.
    No because his fight vs Chandler wouldn't be for the belt, it would just be a "Super Fight."
    -----

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockturnal View Post
    No because his fight vs Chandler wouldn't be for the belt, it would just be a "Super Fight."
    Oh yeah. Honestly, I wouldn't be oppossed to tournament #1 contenders, but also have #1 contenders, and title match-ups.

Defending a title once a year, and two "Super Fights" are stupid. These super fights are guys that fight on regional events.

vCash
    Eddie Alvarez future uncertain, five months remain on Bellator deal

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn Rebney
    "We're talking to him; we'll see what happens. We may cut a deal with Ed. We may not cut a deal with Ed. We've got about another five months left on our current relationship with Ed and another fight, so we may do another fight with Ed. There's a lot of different alternatives. ... Right now our eye is on the ball with doing one more fight with Ed, but you never really know in a contractual situation like this."
    -----

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast